Had an interview yesterday..Update

Turned up all suited and booted.Interview went pretty well I think.Answered all the questions, asked what I felt needed to be asked.Then at the end of the interview she asked for my documents so she could take some photocopies.I knew that the interview process was in two parts.Interview first, then if you got through that OK,they would call you back for an assessment drive.Was getting ready to leave when I was informed they had a trainer free at that moment and was asked if I was prepared to go for my assessment there and then.Of course I jumped at the chance.

Was out for about an hour,mostly motorway work,with a bit of town driving thrown in for good measure,went well.There were things that I didnt know about such as exhaust brake,and although the gearbox was a range change, I didnt know about the button on the stick that gave you 1/2 gears.Got back to the yard and had to navigate my way around the warehouses, with trucks and trailers all over the place, very twisty and narrow in places.Did that OK, then got to the bit where I had to reverse it in between two trailers. Was very nervous as my reversing is not the best it could be,and the space was very tight.Managed it OK, did have to take a shunt,but was well pleased with myself when I finally got it in nice and straight :laughing: .

Went up to the canteen for a coffee and to talk over the drive ,and to be asked some questions.5/5 on the questions, 4/5 on the driving.Marked down for lane discipline when coming up to a set of lights and the road widened from 2 to 3 lanes, I didnt pull over to the left lane.Or rather I did, but too late,blocking the two lanes.Overall though the trainer seemed pretty impressed with the drive considering the fact that I havent driven an artic apart from when I passed my test, and said he would have no problem in me driving for the firm .The actual place is about 15 miles from where I live,but when I told him where I live he said that he may be able to get me into my local office which is 10 minute walk from my house.Now just need to wait for my references to check out,and hopefully be the best of the interviewees, as there were quite a few,then start out on my Class 1 career :smiley: .

Sounds like it went pretty well then. :smiley: Might have been good that you didn’t have time to worry about the assesment drive :laughing:

You can’t be expected to know about things like exhaust brakes and splitters and different gearboxes straight after coming from a training vehicle, The same goes with reversing. The main thing is you are safe and not going to injure anybody or damage the vehicle.

So if it take you a shunt to get in or even going round and resetting yourself up, it’s always better than trying to get into a space and then hitting something.

Hopefully you’ll get the call after having such a positive interview and drive. :smiley:

allo John got a new motor :smiley:

Didn’t know you’re with us ‘big boys’ now mate, so first off Congratulations on passing the test thumbs up, who’s the job with? Fingers x-d you’ll get to start soon! :wink:

Sounds like it went pretty well
and I hope you get the job :smiley:

Alright Si, thought it was you.I see Paul has also joined the lorry driving brigade?

Job is with UPS .Its night work,but I dont mind that.Money is OK ,and plenty of OT.

How you doing mate? What you riding now? Still see the Hornet crowd?

all the best and hope you get the job,

hope you get the job mate…sounds like it went well on the day of the assesment

UPS, I don’t know anything about their reputation, but I guess its mainly trunking work? If so, thats really good as you’ll get used to an artic without having to worry too much about routes etc. Where’s that pulling out from?

Yep, Paul is driving too; mainly agency, I don’t think there’s as much work up there. I’m doing really well thanks; driving full time for Morrisons out of their new frozen dept in Corby, OT there too which is nice. I’m still on a hornet, dont have much time for pleasure riding these days to be honest. Still see some of the crowd from time to time but not very often too busy working, and all that jazz. I’ve just got engaged, and we’re busy with our new home too; so much to do and so little time but I’d much rather have it this way than be on the dole :wink:

Good luck at UPS :slight_smile:

Well Done Sal, looks like you had a good interview and assessment drive, sincerely hope it pays off for in the offer of a job!!

Cheers

Steve

Well done SalTheWop at your test and your assesment hope you get the job.
regards derek

Well done with the job mate :smiley:

YES!!! got the job.Start a week on Monday :smiley: .

Nights with U.P.S .Money is not bad .£25k for 40 hrs per week.

Really looking forward to getting some Class 1 experience under my belt, although Im sure I will be bricking it that first night :smiley: .

BTW I am with an Agency at the moment.Got to give a weeks notice.I’ve got work for next week so I assume its OK to hand in my notice tomorrow?

well done on getting the job, just take it easy until your use to it.
Yeah ahnd your notice in & work the week for the agency.

Well done mate on getting the job, the learning starts now!! I’m coming to the end of my third week on the artics & i still have lots to learn & have made a few mistakes. The main thing to make sure of is take your time & don’t be afraid to ask questions. I was scared stiff the first time i drove an artic but now i feel quite comfortable driving them & funny enough they don’t seem as big now. Just take it easy & learn from any mistakes you make & believe me you will make mistakes as we all do. Just try not to let it bother you too much!! Most of all ENJOY it mate, i’m loving every minute of it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Goodluck :smiley:

Well done getting the job and good luck :smiley:

Well done! Many congrats mate

Nice 1 Sal :slight_smile: All the very best with it mate!!!

Cheers

Steve