Had a vote today!

We got a new ‘contract’ at work agreed by the union, but a fuss was kicked up that members weren’t consulted and so its gone to a vote. The choice was as below.

a) The old way. 45 hours per week guaranteed, on a 5 from 7 basis. You have to be in attendence for all 45 hours. We’ve always done 9 and a quarter hours every day minimum (the 15 mins to get back the deducted lunch break). but on the vote it could be 7 hours one day and 11 the next. If you do a 6th shift, the OT rate starts after you have completed the 45.

b) The new way. Guaranteed 45 hour week, but can be stood down at any time if no work. If you do less than 8 hours you get paid for 8; and if the week is less than 45 hours worked it gets made up to 45 hours. Any 6th shift is paid entirely at OT rate regardless of how many hours you did in the week. No banking of hours.

We’ll see how the vote goes, some of the drivers are worried that its a way of sneaking in banked hours, but we’ve been assured its not.
spoke to the union rep from another depot, and he reckons its down to them having drivers finishing their run and then just messing about in the canteen having food fights, putting salt in the sugar and being abusive to people!

It won’t really affect us in our depot as we’re multi-drop and rarely back in less than 9 hours anyway!
Mind you I’m sure someone will mess themselves up seeing they can go home when they finish by speeding around and tipping on break etc!

Must admit it feels strange being offered something good in these poor economic times! !

Si

CBR_SI:
but can be stood down at any time if no work.

Si

So if its 5 from 7 they can expect you to come in on a different day to work instead of the day they stand you down?.

And still only have done 45 hours?.

im suprised its gone a vote for that, thats a really good offer the union has got your workforce!!!
if the is a ‘no’ i would be very suprised! :open_mouth:

we can either work out extra time as banked time or O/T, it just depends if u want extra time off work with the option earning sum more!!

jammymutt, I meant something along the lines of doing 6 or 8 hours then being sent home. They wouldn’t get you to come in on your day(s) off. Sorry I didn’t explain it clearly.

Somerfield drivers who are on a 10 or 11.5 hour shift are getting back after 6 or 7 hours and saying they will not do overtime and then they used to get to go home. Now they have to sit there until the end of there shift. They sit there moaning. I wish i had a job to moan about in there. Once i get back its get straight back out or ■■■■ off home.