HA & VJ Phillips Transport (Southampton)

A few more pics kindly supplied by Kev Edwards

Sorry if I’ve post posted this in the wrong section but Im a newbie! I haven’t seen anything here at all posted about a firm my dad used to drive for in the early 1990s before they went bust. HA & VJ Phillips Transport (Harry Arnold & Virginia Jude) were based in the British Rail Railfrieght yard off of Imperial Road,Southampton (now a cement works) near the famous Old Farmhouse pub and also ran another yard on Radcliffe Rd (later taken over by one of Harry’s employees Alan Nichols) see: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=64176. It was only a small firm with a hand full of trucks and drivers but even know they were a small company they had some interesting work. Here is a satelite image from 1999 around the area of when they finished and pictures that were found in an old photo album my dad has kept.

Untitled.jpg

It would be great if anybody else knew anything about this firm or has any other pictures!

Hi Tom, i dont remember them but that blue Volvo was definitely an ex Davies motor.
Plenty of pics on the Davies thread.
regards …Tony

I remember Harry Phillips also his brother Mick worked for me for a few years!

mappo:
Hi Tom, i dont remember them but that blue Volvo was definitely an ex Davies motor.
Plenty of pics on the Davies thread.
regards …Tony

No it looks very similar to a Davies motor but this F10 was origionaly bright yellow. It was bought at an auction in London. Apparently, it was a young man trying to sell it to them but Harry managed to persuade them to MOT it etc before they bought it, which saved him some money. The pictures I have included were taken shortly after Harry’s brother, Mick, re-sprayed it on their premises.

Looks like a copy paint job Tony. Dont think Buzzer had a four wheeler F10 X reg?

Was Anne Phillips AKA The Mother Trucker, daughter of Arthur Phillips??, related to this firm? She used to drive an F89 on “twistlock turkey” work.

Think your right Gazza re the paint job. Well they were a smart colour aye.
As for Anne Phillips, i knew Anne way back and drove for her when she was running Wardells Soton depot
out of Greenwoods yard in Rownhams. Did my first trip abroad in a Big J while there.( as mentioned yonks ago on the Soton thread. )
Did,nt know her father was in transport, but there is a T/net member that would know.

Hi Tom
I used to live in Empress Rd and know the area very well!

Harry’s yard years ago was where I have put the X but later it was moved across further right on the pic nearer the railway lines.

A couple from my collection from your dads era copyright to Steve Greenaway.

flatman001:

Flatman001, BIG thanks for uploading these!! Brings back many memorys for my dad, he was chuffed to see them! Would be very greatful if you had anymore!

TomJaves:

flatman001:

Flatman001, BIG thanks for uploading these!! Brings back many memorys for my dad, he was chuffed to see them! Would be very greatful if you had anymore!

Hello Tom, sorry I have no more photos, but if you PM me yor email address I will e-mail you copies of the photos without the watermark on. John

i often see kevin who worked for harry for many years will ask for info and photos
also my old mate alan used to drive the
the grey erf and took over the steel job when harry finished

slatey:
i often see kevin who worked for harry for many years will ask for info and photos

That’s right, Alan used to work for Harry with my dad and some other drivers. Then Alan took over the steel work and moved to the steel yard across the road (Radcliffe Road) and started A Nichols Transport (see my other topic) where my dad then moved to and drove for Alan. I went on a few trips with him myself :slight_smile:

TomJaves:

slatey:

That’s right, Alan used to work for Harry with my dad and some other drivers. Then Alan took over the steel work and moved to the steel yard across the road (Radcliffe Road) and started A Nichols Transport (see my other topic) where my dad then moved to and drove for Alan. I went on a few trips with him myself :slight_smile:

Would be great if you could get hold of Kev or Alan to try and salvage some pictures or more info on what exactly happened!