H&S site rules

I’m wondering how RSJ’s of all sizes are being loaded now with today’s 'elf and saftey rules.

When I did that work, I’d be right in there amongst it watching as the weight was taken up by the bearers. Blocking it up and tying it all in as one big unit.

A driver with us was told to isolate the battery before he was allowed to change a bulb in rear cluster :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A colluege of mine, ( i work on 2 man home delivery) slipped on an icey footpath and while carrying a sofa and was refused company sick pay because he didnt have any gloves on!

Barney1968:
Strange this but in the last 5 weeks of running to Italy and back I’ve worn my Hi Viz once… in the UK.

Sent from somewhere… Not sure where exactly but I’m probably only a bit lost :slight_smile:

This is why i love driving/delivering/loading on the continent…and hate it in UK :imp:

got a bollocking for wearing my old yellow high -viz vest,told by o/m that i was only allowed to wear salmon -pink one,tried to explain it was in wash and just wearing yellow one for day,had to hand it in with all my other yellow ones,some nearly new,just got the one salmon pink one now
also picked up on the fact i was wearing a green raleigh jacket[black one in wash],said i had to hand it in,with my 2 green fleeces,green coat as well,all of it like new,said im only allowed to wear black jacket,black fleece,
all the time there on about saving money,and then they bin 4 high vizes,1 raleigh jacket,2 fleeces and a coat,all as new,what a waste :unamused: :imp: :imp:

the strange thing is he did say your not allowed to wear anything with red on it,never thought but told g.f about it and she said but you black jackets got red on it :confused: ,also all the new shirts youve been issued with to replace your old ones with red colours have red pin striping on them :confused: ,also[she was on a roll :wink: ,she hates wasting stuff],she then gets my black fleece from wardrobe and points out the badge on that is red :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,
said shell sort this out :open_mouth: :open_mouth: god help them :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
all this stemed from the lad who run[got run off] road on a66 in snow,they wernt bothered if he was injured,any one else,how bad truck/load was,they just picked up on t.v coverage he was wearing old type shirts,his shirt wasnt tucked into his trousers,his 2nd but top button wasnt done up,now big thing you must wear new uniform,not old one even if its servicable,or as new :unamused:

ady1:
all this stemed from the lad who run[got run off] road on a66 in snow,they wernt bothered if he was injured,any one else,how bad truck/load was,they just picked up on t.v coverage he was wearing old type shirts,his shirt wasnt tucked into his trousers,his 2nd but top button wasnt done up,now big thing you must wear new uniform,not old one even if its servicable,or as new :unamused:

And this is the company you constantly suggest we should pay £12,000 to work for, Mo?

Amazing how visible you are when not wearing a hi-viz!

NathanB:
Flashing beacons in quarries; Should someone really be operating plant if they can only see you if you have a little flashing light going? And why are rotating beacons banned now? Much better than what we have now.

Whilst working on the M6 years ago we were in a coned off section. The cone crew were parked up, engine and lights off, on the hard shoulder and I was in L1 and L2 setup with the lift up to the bridge. The work crew’s van was in front of mine and we were in direction flow of the traffic.

After a while the H&S guy came up in his car with more flashing lights than my truck had and told off the crew for not having working beacons. They were told they must fix it before the next work cycle. This was on a Friday, they hadn’t worked all week and they were finished off the job after this :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Our trucks had two front beacons, rotating ones, but nothing at the back. Could really have done with at least one rotating beacon at the back but no one ever listened to me. We also didn’t have work lights at the back either so when operating controls you had to do it by knowledge of what control did what or by holding the torch in your mouth or with a head torch.

Most companies prefer LEDs these days as they are lower power, but certain regulations require rotating beacons so airports still use them, or flashing orange lights that show 360’ of light on the flash.

taffytrucker:
years ago i had a H&S hitler asking me where my hard hat was whilst sat on a Hiab offloading blocks. Told him I’m 150 mtrs from any work and anything big enough to mnake over here my hat will do jack. I then offered to test how good is hat was with the pack of blocks in the grab at the time :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Don’t tell me; he declined your kind offer of a free hard hat performance test. :slight_smile:

:laughing:

Campbell:
Amazing how visible you are when not wearing a hi-viz!

Reminds me of a story reiterated by a mate of mine. One blazing hot sunny day he pulled into a factory at lunch time, and parked in the middle of the large area of yard/stock holding area.
Thinking there was no one around he hopped out in his T shirt, quickly pulled back the curtains then jumped back into the comfort of his air-con cab and waited. After a minute or two a spotty yoof on an FLT came flying across the yard at breakneck speed, the usual thing of going that fast he’s hardly in control as he struggles to stay in the seat and constantly correct the steering as the FLT fishtales and bounces across the yard. He screeches to a halt leaving rubber inches from the drivers door and shouts ‘‘Oye drive, my boss’’ and points to a second floor window of a building 300m away ‘‘says if you don’t put yer hi-viz on yer wonna be gettin tipped’’ :open_mouth:
My mate retorted ‘'well if your boss can bloody see me from there I don’t need no ■■■■■■■ Hi-Viz’’ :laughing:

He still had to put it on :unamused:

Speed limit at our sheffield depot…

Took me 20mins just to walk to the back of the truck! :laughing:

dowahdiddyman:

andi_cardiff:
One of the chemical plants we goto have a good few, speed limit of 10mph, seat belt on at all times as well as always wearing safety glasses, even when driving.

This has just made me remember a chemical plant we used to go to in Ellesmere Port, who would not let you in if you were not clean shaven. Supposedly you wouldnt be able to get a good seal if the alarms went off and you had to put breathing apparatus on, the fact we didnt carry any didn`t matter.

Associated Octel were like that. But it is true if you cannot get a gas tight seal because of a beard or moustache

map-man:
Speed limit at our sheffield depot…

Took me 20mins just to walk to the back of the truck! :laughing:

:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

About 7 years ago on a blazing hot day I turned up at a place in Rotherham. Can’t remember where exactly, is there an Excel in Rotherham, cos that’s ringing a bell? Anyway, I’d run up from Dover in the shorts/vest/flip flops combo and once on site put my boots and hi viz on and went in search of someone. Well the place was like a ghost town. Every corner I turned I seemed to catch a glimpse of someone just turning another corner. Shift change was approaching and no one wanted to get lumbered tipping me.

Ok you tossers, so I ambles back to the truck, takes the hi viz off, put the flip flops back on and then jumps out for a wander.

You ever see Eddie Murphy in Trading Places when about 18 coppers all point their guns at him? Well it was like that only without the guns. I’d certainly got their attention now! Didn’t take long to tip me either after I’d received the mandatory bollocking

How about this one?

Shunters must do a complete road going check (lights, wheel nuts, the lot) every time they move a trailer. Any trailer. And EVERY time. Including picking up the one they just moved out of the way…

The rule lasted two days, because they followed it to the letter, and the entire place ground to a halt.

I once went to a place years ago where I was told NOT to wear my Hi Viz. I asked why not? Bloke pointed to the warehouse where it was a sea of people in Hi Viz - all except the visitors. We all stood out a mile. He told me that since they’d implemented that regime they’d had no accidents involving visitors. They reasoned that if everyone wears Hi Viz then nobody stands out so the forkies wouldn’t know if you were visiting or not. Made perfect sense to me and with a nil accident rate I imagine it made sense to their insurance company too :slight_smile:

Sent from somewhere… Not sure where exactly but I’m probably only a bit lost :slight_smile:

truckyboy:
Sainsburys at Emerson green ( bristol )…all truck doors must be locked, and the windows wound right up ( and the vehicles are checked ) happened to me recently and the checker told me the door must be locked, as i was hanging my keys up, so i asked him why, he said he didnt know, and he didnt make the rules, just done the checking…when will these supermarkets have their reigns pulled in, after all this [zb], we still have to sit in a room thats in the chiller.

It’s to stop you nipping back for a kip.

One place I went to - can’t remember the name, but it was an electrical warehouse near Newark - told us to stay in the drivers room while we were waiting or we wouldn’t get tipped, and everyone flat refused. We just said ‘don’t bloody tip us then’ and ■■■■■■ off back to the trucks. It worked.

You all have to do it at the same time by the way.