GV9

Was in getting the brake pad’s and disc’s done on my car today.It’s a small company based in Motherwell where my lad work’s.( until tomorrow/friday)I got talking to the mechanic and he was telling me that their young apprentice got a truck driver a GV9 last night.Apparently the truck was in for repair and when the apprentice finished he forgot to tighten the wheelnut’s up tight enough,when the guy got stopped on checking the vehicle the police noticed that the nut’s where loose.The young apprentice has just gone on holiday and on his return he will be getting his P45,he had almost completed his apprenticeship :open_mouth:.What a hard way to learn. :wink:

Sacking the apprentice is a bit harsh, a severe telling-off would suffice. Most people learn from their mistakes, the chances are that he’ll, quite possibly, never make the same mistake again.

the driver is at fault, anyone knows if you’ve had a wagon in and it’s had the wheels off the first thing you do is make sure the nuts are torqued up! you wouldn’t get a gv9 unless you’d lost a wheel, it’d be a pg9 with a prohibition that the vehicle couldn’t be moved until the repair had been carried out, in this case tightening the wheel nuts, although i’ve never seen a traffic cop with a toffee hammer!

paul b:
the driver is at fault, anyone knows if you’ve had a wagon in and it’s had the wheels off the first thing you do is make sure the nuts are torqued up! you wouldn’t get a gv9 unless you’d lost a wheel, it’d be a pg9 with a prohibition that the vehicle couldn’t be moved until the repair had been carried out, in this case tightening the wheel nuts, although i’ve never seen a traffic cop with a toffee hammer!

well Paul i can only go by what the mechanic say’s,and it was GV9 he got m8.Doesn’t tyre companies give you something like 50k’s b4 you need to have them re-torqued :question: .

Sacking the apprentice is a bit harsh, a severe telling-off would suffice.

Not when it land’s you company a heavy fine :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Most people learn from their mistakes, the chances are that he’ll, quite possibly, never make the same mistake again

Apparently this guy don’t learn from his mistakes. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

when they put on your wheelnuts with the air gun they are meant to torque them after then you have to torque them again after 20k.

a bit harsh getting the sack though.

I still call them GV9s, cause I’m old and they where GV9s when I started. These days they are actualy PG9s. There is no real difference except that GV9 is the old version, PG9 is the new(ish) one. I expect that the mechanic has had some experience, so still calls them GV9s. (GV for Goods Vehicle but also buses, PG for Passenger/Goods).

As far as I remember, the driver should check his nuts daily. As they where loose, he obviously didn’t so the driver is at fault for not checking them. I think that sacking an apprentice for that is a bit over the top. If it had been a mechanic, fair enough probably, but an apprentice being a trainee, should have had a major bollocking IMHO.

What a 3rd year + apprentice need’s babysitting Simon. :question: I don’t think so m8,he should know better.

an apprentice should still be supervised, the workshop are at fault, so they sack the lad :confused:

The service receptionist / workshop foreman should have pointed out to the driver that the wheels have been off and they need rechecking after 50 miles or so. Whether its the drivers job or not is down to company policy. How many drivers carry a torque wrench? Things have changed a bit since you jumped on a wheel bar till the threads cracked as they stretched :exclamation: every saturday morning

Im with Simon, in the olden days :stuck_out_tongue: A GV9 was serious and a PG9 is the same, It’s like having an HGV licence or a C + E. PC BRIGADE again.

I think they use an {s} to mark it as serious or {a} as advisory

the drivers lucky not to get points its 3 per wheel nut last time i heard :open_mouth:
it IS the drivers responsibillty to check his nuts
its part of the daily walk round check that all drivers should do every morning
pessonally i feel sorry for the lad he shouldnt be sacked he should be given a [zb] from the bloke who got pulled
(it worked for me) :blush:

:unamused: L.:wink:

kitkat:

And how would we know that? This is the first time you’ve mentioned it!

brummie:

kitkat:

And how would we know that? This is the first time you’ve mentioned it!

Coz it was not relavant to this thread untill someone mentioned it.Is that good enough for you brummie.

just to clear things up, both GV9 and PG9 are still in use, a GV9 is placed on a vehicle that is deemed to be unroadworthy to the extent of being dangerouse, once served the only way the vehicle can be moved is by towing, the wagon cannot then be driven on the road until it has been retested and the order lifted.
a PG9 is a prohibition order and can come in many guises, for minor faults like a boarder line illegal tyre they may give you fifteen days to retest the wagon during which you can legally drive the wagon,obviousely with a replaced tyre on. or it maybe something that they insist being repaired on the roadside before you move the wagon, things like a broken u bolt, replace the bolt and they lift the prohibition etc.
both carry seriouse implications for the operator and a GV9 is a real no no for which you can find yourself in seriouse bother for.
as for the wheel nuts,air gun, toque wrench then next day toque wrench again as they will have bedded in, especially double wheels. most will use the plastic indicators on the nuts that show straight away if one is coming loose, not checking nuts for 20k or 50k? you must drive on some very smooth roads!