GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Fergie47:
Just heard, a bloke from “up Norff” has topped himself… :unamused: :wink:

I do expect better from you Fergie !! :open_mouth: It is actually a “walk through” 3 man cab arrangement and the engine is just a “set back” 180 6LXB :wink: Hope you and Liz have kept clear of the Covid ! we have managed to so far ! Cheers Dennis.

Spot on Dennis, Keep safe, Regards Larry.

Thanks Mate :wink: and you and yours stay safe from this virus ! Regards Dennis.

Bewick:

Fergie47:

I do expect better from you Fergie !! :open_mouth: It is actually a “walk through” 3 man cab arrangement and the engine is just a “set back” 180 6LXB :wink: Hope you and Liz have kept clear of the Covid ! we have managed to so far ! Cheers Dennis.

Bugger Den, Anne promised me a small inheritance package, got excited for a minute, thought I might be able to afford that Magnum I’ve always wanted… :laughing:

We’re both well thanks mate, and enjoying the new home …the lockdown was pretty strict for over two months, and then lifted gradually, everyone (and least in our area) took it seriously, and are still doing so, so far we know of no one who has had it or died from it…fingers crossed it stays that way…

Stay safe , regards to Anne and the family…

Dave

Fergie47:

Bewick:

Fergie47:

Bugger Den, Anne promised me a small inheritance package, got excited for a minute, thought I might be able to afford that Magnum I’ve always wanted… :laughing:

We’re both well thanks mate, and enjoying the new home …the lockdown was pretty strict for over two months, and then lifted gradually, everyone (and least in our area) took it seriously, and are still doing so, so far we know of no one who has had it or died from it…fingers crossed it stays that way…

Stay safe , regards to Anne and the family…

Dave

Thanks Dave, it sounds like you have been more disciplined on your side of the Channel than many of the idiots on our side ! Without a doubt we are going get another serious outbreak in the coming weeks then maybe the stupid ■■■■■■■■ will get the message finally ! Anne and I are just going to quietly carry on keeping a low profile and away from crowded or enclosed places as we have been doing because this virus isn’t going to go away anytime soon. Best regards Dennis.

Taken this week, a couple of Big J’s awaiting their fate at Liverpool Huskisson Dock. I believe they are owned by well known Liverpool haulier Joe Wall who created the 240 Gardner engined one shown earlier in the thread and another restored one with a Gardner 180. Donors maybe for the restorations? The Walsh brothers of Manchester would love a crack at restoring these two. The rigid has no engine but the arctic still has a ■■■■■■■ in place.

Bob

Blind Bob:
Taken this week, a couple of Big J’s awaiting their fate at Liverpool Huskisson Dock. I believe they are owned by well known Liverpool haulier Joe Wall who created the 240 Gardner engined one shown earlier in the thread and another restored one with a Gardner 180. Donors maybe for the restorations? The Walsh brothers of Manchester would love a crack at restoring these two. The rigid has no engine but the arctic still has a ■■■■■■■ in place.

Bob

Now Bob that is the kind of side shot we’ve been asking for the past 10 years ! Pity it has the “wrong” engine fitted ! :blush: :frowning: :wink: Cheers Bewick.

This is the one that I definitely know about. I knew the driver, Les Sutton as did our departed friend, Dave the Renegade. Complete with not only the appropriate badge but also the grille extension. Despite young Bewick’s assertion that the Gardner was THE engine of choice, not even Les’ motor could catch my F88!
If we could only turn back time I would ask Les to take a rear three quarters view to add to the evidence.

That’s not good enough ROF, I posted a clear rear view of one on 28th June but even that wasn’t acceptable. :unamused:

Pete.

Blind Bob:

Bob

That’d be Jim Wall…

windrush:
That’s not good enough ROF, I posted a clear rear view of one on 28th June but even that wasn’t acceptable. :unamused:

Pete.

There are those who CAN’T learn and there are those who don’t WANT to learn, Pete. Les didn’t mind driving the Gardners but once he got his hands on a new Scania he changed his tune! Apparently he’s still around, although not computerised, but he would have put the doubters right! He was a well-built bloke in his younger days- we could have killed two birds with one stone if we had sent him to educate young Bewick and collect my outstanding monies at the same time!

Retired Old ■■■■:

windrush:

Pete.

There are those who CAN’T learn and there are those who don’t WANT to learn, Pete. Les didn’t mind driving the Gardners but once he got his hands on a new Scania he changed his tune! Apparently he’s still around, although not computerised, but he would have put the doubters right! He was a well-built bloke in his younger days- we could have killed two birds with one stone if we had sent him to educate young Bewick and collect my outstanding monies at the same time!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya,
Who the ■■■■ wants a crap 240 Percy anyroad giz a big Roller or a big
Chummie any day of the week.

Well as once owner driver some years ago, The good old Gardners that I had in my 8 wheeler Fodens did me very well, O K Some ■■■■■■■ powered motors used to fly past me when running Aglime up to Larnarkshire Farms, But at the end of the day the drivers were perhaps home before me, But I was very fuel minded, 10 to 12 Mpg with the Gardners, I dont think that the ■■■■■■■ could beat that, Of course thats just my opinion :wink: , Regards Larry.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Who the [zb] wants a crap 240 Percy anyroad giz a big Roller or a big

Just for you “H” how about this brand new LWB Scania 81 Sleeper ? I reckon it would do you a treat Mate :wink: Compared to the " Iron Horse" motors you have just been crowing about this Scania would be a revelation it would be a real treat for you I kid you not ! Hope you are keeping well and keeping safe but someone has got to keep you focussed and suitably “■■■■■■ off” with the offer of a decent unit eh! Regards Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Just for you “H” how about this brand new LWB Scania 81 Sleeper ? I reckon it would do you a treat Mate :wink: Compared to the " Iron Horse" motors you have just been crowing about this Scania would be a revelation it would be a real treat for you I kid you not ! Hope you are keeping well and keeping safe but someone has got to keep you focussed and suitably “■■■■■■ off” with the offer of a decent unit eh! Regards Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dennis you are a naughty boy, :laughing: Harry will hit the bottle , You know he likes Single Malts, Teasing him with the Scanias that for some reason he hates will torment him, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , I think if he had a Gardner that had been tweeked he may have thought different, Take care my friend & stay safe, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well as once owner driver some years ago, The good old Gardners that I had in my 8 wheeler Fodens did me very well, O K Some ■■■■■■■ powered motors used to fly past me when running Aglime up to Larnarkshire Farms, But at the end of the day the drivers were perhaps home before me, But I was very fuel minded, 10 to 12 Mpg with the Gardners, I dont think that the ■■■■■■■ could beat that, Of course thats just my opinion :wink: , Regards Larry.

At face value if the figures are kosher the 8LXB was the best NA motor available for its combination of go and fuel.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry, my last ‘gaffer’ (the late Frank Gough) used to have two sayings: “I don’t care about how much work you do lad, but I do care about how much it costs me for you to do it” and “I don’t need an accountant to let me know how much money I’m making, a tank on the side of the lorry tells me that”. :laughing: I always tried to get the best alternative work available when our regular quarry had no work for me and I then had to phone around for work, but sometimes had to take what I was offered and hope something better would come along quickly! Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn’t! :wink:

Pete.

Carryfast:

Lawrence Dunbar:

At face value if the figures are kosher the 8LXB was the best NA motor available for its combination of go and fuel.

Well done “CF” glad to see you have accepted reality and finally acknowledged just how economical the Gardner engines were ! :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Carryfast:

Well done “CF” glad to see you have accepted reality and finally acknowledged just how economical the Gardner engines were ! :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Have to admit the figures probably don’t lie that’s what really surprised me although I’m specifically referring to 8 LXB not the silly 6.
That is a healthy torque output when compared objectively to Rolls and ■■■■■■■ less so Rolls because it’s obviously smaller.I can understand the attraction of speccing that over Rolls/■■■■■■■ strictly in the NA sense.

It doesn’t change my view of boat anchors when turbos are thrown into the equation.

But 8LXB v 220/250 ■■■■■■■ or NA Rolls the choice had to have been a no brainer. :bulb: :wink:

Although ironically you’ve said it didn’t actually belong in a Big J when surely the Big J was the definition of a Guvnor’s motor so the best place for it.If I’d have been a new start owner driver that’s exactly what would have been at the top of my list to get the firm on its feet and still be able to get the job done.At least after spending a few extra hours digesting spec sheets. :confused:

Bewick:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Hiya,
Dennis is “thanks but no thanks” recognised terminology now if Scandalous
had only fitted a decent engine in the 80 series I might just have dug my
riggers and of course my r & s gloves out and contemplated heading West.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Dennis is “thanks but no thanks” recognised terminology now if Scandalous
had only fitted a decent engine in the 80 series I might just have dug my
riggers and of course my r & s gloves out and contemplated heading West.

To be fair you only get what you pay for and Scania weren’t a charity.
You want a better motor then Bewick will have to pay for a 110/111. :bulb: :wink: