Gutted…..

New pass (march) and just found the absolute perfect job with agency, pay is £15p/h but upon contacting to enquire, the woman seemed to just want to give me any work and stated they are crying out for drivers due to the jubilee. I am restricted in the sense I am unable to do handball due to health so I have to be a bit more careful with potential jobs.

How can I discuss this issue with the agency without sounding like a put off? I know most aren’t keen on new passes as it is so this is another bump in the road.
Also, where could I get a cheap/second hand truckers nav until I have the funds for a nice new one?

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and any input.

Lou88:
New pass (march) and just found the absolute perfect job with agency, pay is £15p/h but upon contacting to enquire, the woman seemed to just want to give me any work and stated they are crying out for drivers due to the jubilee. I am restricted in the sense I am unable to do handball due to health so I have to be a bit more careful with potential jobs.

How can I discuss this issue with the agency without sounding like a put off? I know most aren’t keen on new passes as it is so this is another bump in the road.
Also, where could I get a cheap/second hand truckers nav until I have the funds for a nice new one?

Be very clear, in writing/email, about any limits you have on physical work.
Make sure that the agency cant try coercing you into doing that could damage you. If they really are crying out for drivers then they will put you somewhere suitable. As a newbie you may feel obliged to take anything...well, there is a limit to that. Be keen, take 2nd best to get the experience, but not at the expense of your health. Turn up to "give it a go" and then fail, will be more of a headache to agency and client than being straight from the outset. If the agency get funny about it, they probably arent worth it anyway.

Trucker Atlas under 15 quids. Plan route with that, and plug that onto Google maps on your phone?

Don`t worry, it will work out. :smiley:

Lou88:

I can’t recommend highly enough Road Lords a free satnav app only on Android. Just have to register so it saves your trucks’ details. Just uses data. Just have to ALSO look out the windscreen at road signs,but I think every satnav has its faults.

Congrats on passing, there’s lots of driving jobs that are no handball, just keep looking. What did the woman say when you said no, I’m enquiring about the job as advertised?

Franglais:

Lou88:

Be very clear, in writing/email, about any limits you have on physical work.
Make sure that the agency cant try coercing you into doing that could damage you. If they really are crying out for drivers then they will put you somewhere suitable. As a newbie you may feel obliged to take anything...well, there is a limit to that. Be keen, take 2nd best to get the experience, but not at the expense of your health. Turn up to "give it a go" and then fail, will be more of a headache to agency and client than being straight from the outset. If the agency get funny about it, they probably arent worth it anyway.

Trucker Atlas under 15 quids. Plan route with that, and plug that onto Google maps on your phone?

Don`t worry, it will work out. :smiley:

Thankyou for your reply, am so concerned of getting turned away purely because of my minor limits. The driving aspect no problem and is something I enjoy. The job in question is literally a case of taking a load to a site then chilling out in the cab until it’s time to return so would be exactly what I need.

I have no idea how to read an atlas so would be better to go by a nav :open_mouth:

Lou88:
I have no idea how to read an atlas so would be better to go by a nav

QUICK ! Delete this post those ole ■■■■■* over on the Pro Forum are sharpening their pitchforks as we speak!
Can`t read a map? Youth of today!

Stu is quite right to say always look out of the windscreen, no matter what any map or satnav says.
But being able to use maps as well as navs is a real advantage. Not necessary for every run you`ll ever do, but it does really help.

Some will tell you how they just turn on the nav and follow it. They will tell you “never had a problem yet”. Quite possibly so. That doesnt mean they will never have a problem. Systems always work well...until they dont.

Ahem… :blush:

stu675:

Lou88:

I can’t recommend highly enough Road Lords a free satnav app only on Android. Just have to register so it saves your trucks’ details. Just uses data. Just have to ALSO look out the windscreen at road signs,but I think every satnav has its faults.

Congrats on passing, there’s lots of driving jobs that are no handball, just keep looking. What did the woman say when you said no, I’m enquiring about the job as advertised?

Is this app available on iOS by any chance? I have 150GB data monthly so that shouldn’t be a problem, I think il be extra vigilant with signs and heights but that isn’t a bad thing.

Thankyou I’m still just as pleased and excited as the day they said I passed :laughing: the woman brushed off my queries and went straight into a fast paced talk about how they have loads of clients looking for drivers and she could get me into work next week but she didn’t stop to let me discuss anything with her. Very shortly after came the registration email from the agency which I’m yet to fill out but until iv discussed my needs i won’t be sending the form back.

The job itself was a case of driving the loaded truck to a site then chilling out in the cab until it’s ready to go back to the yard, no multi drop or handball involved just driving there and back….iv done multi drop (not in a truck) and it was heavy tiring work but I enjoyed the customer interaction, variety in days/locations and simply being out on the road.

Sorry thing iv mumbled on a bit rather than answer your question?

Franglais:

Lou88:
I have no idea how to read an atlas so would be better to go by a nav

QUICK ! Delete this post those ole ■■■■■* over on the Pro Forum are sharpening their pitchforks as we speak!
Can`t read a map? Youth of today!

Stu is quite right to say always look out of the windscreen, no matter what any map or satnav says.
But being able to use maps as well as navs is a real advantage. Not necessary for every run you`ll ever do, but it does really help.

Some will tell you how they just turn on the nav and follow it. They will tell you “never had a problem yet”. Quite possibly so. That doesnt mean they will never have a problem. Systems always work well...until they dont.

Ahem… :blush:

:laughing: I love this reply! Yes I am sort of young, have been driving for 17 years I think nearly….have a photographic memory so struggle to find my way when I’m told road directions (even when they are precise!) I have no problem in areas I know or have reasonable knowledge of but without a nav would be totally screwed.
My partner was a long time trucker and a good one, he was going to teach me how to read an atlas but I lost him to covid so this hgv journey iv done from start to finish alone (with everyone’s help & advice here of course).

Ill teach you how to read a map if you want. Come by my place. Bit awkward to find, so, Ill draw you a map of how toooo…Oh.

Others have managed with poor map reading skills when satnav was still a James Bond gadget. Much easier if you can read a map, but you can do the job without.

Lou88, my new buzz phrase is “no or minimal load interaction”. Tell the agency lady that you require work with no or minimal load interaction on an ongoing basis. A good handler should find you work to suit. Have you considered tipping? I loved that and am looking forward to doing some more. I’ve just started on agency. PM me if I can help. :smiley:

driveress:
Lou88, my new buzz phrase is “no or minimal load interaction”. Tell the agency lady that you require work with no or minimal load interaction on an ongoing basis. A good handler should find you work to suit. Have you considered tipping? I loved that and am looking forward to doing some more. I’ve just started on agency. PM me if I can help. :smiley:

After my own heart on the quotation!![emoji6][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

minimal load interaction…trunking or on the boxes would probably suit? tippers a possibility,but there has been occasions where i had to dig out a ton or so of stuck tarmac or frozen MOT/type 1 stone :frowning: