Gutless MAN 440

My boss bought a used MAN 440 8 wheeler tipper, it’s a 2009 with 400k on and it looked pretty good.

It was driven for two days by the bosses son then it was passed over to me, 5hrs 30mins later I was awaiting recovery due to big end failure on just one cylinder.

The truck went back to the people they had bought it from (Walker Movements) who said the main bearing had gone too and had knackered the block :open_mouth:

They fitted a used engine and returned it to us, I drove it for one day before I broke up for a week but felt it to be sluggish, the bosses son then drove it for a week whilst I was off.

He had a problem with melted air pipes due to heat shields missing, I came back to work and did 2hrs driving before I broke down again, :unamused: this time no electrics, MAN came from Worcs and seemed hell bent on getting it recovered to their yard but eventually (5hrs later) got me going after stripping back the battery cable and bodging it up.

Ever since the I’ve been getting “Malfunction Engine Control Unit” flash up intermittently.

Had some more wiring replaced along with cab mounts, bosses son is back in the saddle, he followed me today and could not catch up with me on hills, I’m driving a 2005 Foden 345 with 770k on it, I’m not looking forward to getting the sluggish POS back which won’t be for a while as it had no electrics again today after going in to try and read the ECU fault.

Looks as though MAN does stand for Mean And Nasty :imp:

That’s not good reading, I’m seriously thinking about buying a 440 artic because they’re cheap.

Bit like my 13 plate 32.400, 2500km on the clock egr valve went then threw piston liner out waiting for new engine to arrive from Germany.

It’s not just a Man thing, our Erf 440 ■■■■■■■ goes miles better than the Daf480 so much so I think the Daf should be rated 400

forgot to say the firm has bought some second hand 440 tractor units to run on curtain siders and on bulk tipper work and so far all seem ok and drivers are impressed with them with the only gripe being the auto box.

Also had the malfunction engine control unit which turned out to be the oxygen sensors

Shoshaye:
That’s not good reading, I’m seriously thinking about buying a 440 artic because they’re cheap.

We have two 440 units, one is an ex DSV motor 56 plate, that one lost its oil pressure on the A38 at 56 mph due to faulty oil pump which was very common in pre 08 MANs I believe.

The other unit is an 09, they haven’t had too many problems with that, just engine warnings now and then.

snowman77:
forgot to say the firm has bought some second hand 440 tractor units to run on curtain siders and on bulk tipper work and so far all seem ok and drivers are impressed with them with the only gripe being the auto box.

Also had the malfunction engine control unit which turned out to be the oxygen sensors

I know what you mean about the auto box, I’ve driven this one 5 days in total, a maximum of 30 hours and find the box slow to change making it almost impossible for a quick start at a busy roundabout, kickdown is a bit sensitive too, changes gear at 1600rpm with normal acceleration and 1900 flooring it.

I’ve been trying to use it in manual to speed it up a bit.

shortfatbaldbloke:

Shoshaye:

We have two 440 units, one is an ex DSV motor 56 plate, that one lost its oil pressure on the A38 at 56 mph due to faulty oil pump which was very common in pre 08 MANs I believe.

The other unit is an 09, they haven’t had too many problems with that, just engine warnings now and then.

My old man had exactly the same thing happen to one of his on a 56 plate, driver made it into a layby but she died, 3 months earlier the oil cooler gave up near Glasgow and it took them 4 days to fix it, driver got a plane home lol. he does have two 59 plate 440,s which haven’t been any trouble yet.

snowman77:
Bit like my 13 plate 32.400, 2500km on the clock egr valve went then threw piston liner out waiting for new engine to arrive from Germany.

Kin’ell :open_mouth:

snowman77:

My 13 plate 440 keeps coming up with ‘Malfunction engine control unit’ she’s done 50,000 km & apparently it’s the fuel filter (I think it needs replacing more regularly)

I tend to leave her in Auto & just poodle along (its not a race !)

We had a few 11 plate & 12 plates come up with the Malfunction Warning last winter, it was during the coldest part & I reckon that the diesel was just starting to wax a bit.

shortfatbaldbloke:
My boss bought a used MAN 440 8 wheeler tipper, it’s a 2009 with 400k on and it looked pretty good.

It was driven for two days by the bosses son then it was passed over to me, 5hrs 30mins later I was awaiting recovery due to big end failure on just one cylinder.

The truck went back to the people they had bought it from (Walker Movements) who said the main bearing had gone too and had knackered the block :open_mouth:

They fitted a used engine and returned it to us, I drove it for one day before I broke up for a week but felt it to be sluggish, the bosses son then drove it for a week whilst I was off.

He had a problem with melted air pipes due to heat shields missing, I came back to work and did 2hrs driving before I broke down again, :unamused: this time no electrics, MAN came from Worcs and seemed hell bent on getting it recovered to their yard but eventually (5hrs later) got me going after stripping back the battery cable and bodging it up.

Ever since the I’ve been getting “Malfunction Engine Control Unit” flash up intermittently.

Had some more wiring replaced along with cab mounts, bosses son is back in the saddle, he followed me today and could not catch up with me on hills, I’m driving a 2005 Foden 345 with 770k on it, I’m not looking forward to getting the sluggish POS back which won’t be for a while as it had no electrics again today after going in to try and read the ECU fault.

Looks as though MAN does stand for Mean And Nasty :imp:

I wonder if the ECU has ‘spiked’ because of the intermittent battery connection?

Missing heat shields not really MAN’s fault, more likely to be bodgery when replacement engine fitted.

What condition/power/miles was the ‘new’ engine?

That Malfunction Engine Control Unit warning comes up on ours a lot, it doesn’t usually cause an issue as you can normally just click ok and it goes away for a while, the other week however mine kept showing it with no option to “ok” it and it caused the engine to derate. MAN dealership replaced the fuel filter and bingo, Robert’s your Mothers Brother.

My 11 plate 8w 35.400 nearly always shows the malfunction warning, and it wont pull aswell as our Scania P360 and 380s.
Mine goes better if driven as a manual as it’s bad for hunting gears, but why are they so bad on fuel? I struggle to get above 6.6mpg. I get better mpg by not using cruise control but use the speed limit function and manual mode instead.
Also noticed that reversing across a camber is a real pain, whether using reverse or the creep reverse (the latter is just useless). I do like the DX mode for driving on tips though, the one thing MAN have got right on their gearbox.

Is your exhaust filter blocked, Mr Muckaway?

Can happen, indeed it will happen, if a non Low SAPS oil has been put in the engine?

It doesn’t clog up with soot (that will burn off) but with ash that won’t burn off.

Shoshaye:

Go for the 480. Our mob run loads of 440s, 40+, and we get loads of problems, 99% of which are due to the fact that they dont use adblue,all the gubbins to get around that keeps giving the problems.

GasGas:
Is your exhaust filter blocked, Mr Muckaway?

Can happen, indeed it will happen, if a non Low SAPS oil has been put in the engine?

It doesn’t clog up with soot (that will burn off) but with ash that won’t burn off.

It could be, the exhaust is under the cab, the first tipper I’ve driven that hasn’t been a vertical. It’s having a 2 weekly inspection this weekend at head office so they might find something.

Whats Earthline like now nathan? I just started on for cleaver driving his new 8 wheeler, after doing RDC work for 15 months i had forgotten what a good crack the tippers are. is simon hadland still there? he’s a top bloke, we were tramping for Radbands for months together, if he is there tell him ace says hello

tippermaster:
Whats Earthline like now nathan? I just started on for cleaver driving his new 8 wheeler, after doing RDC work for 15 months i had forgotten what a good crack the tippers are. is simon hadland still there? he’s a top bloke, we were tramping for Radbands for months together, if he is there tell him ace says hello

Earthline’s spot on mate. All the talk of the office being on your back is bull faeces. Well organised and quick loading, easy deliveries etc. Yes Simon’s still there, he’s one of the trampers (got a new Scania). What you driving for Spud? Heard something about doing some work for Einigs’■■

Earthline’s spot on mate. All the talk of the office being on your back is bull faeces. Well organised and quick loading, easy deliveries etc. Yes Simon’s still there, he’s one of the trampers (got a new Scania). What you driving for Spud? Heard something about doing some work for Einigs’■■
[/quote]
Yea i’m in the unsignwritten red scania on for einig, i heard that earthline were after trampers was going to apply but heard so many bad things i was hesitant, Spud seems ok though, leaves me to it. can’t really complain i suppose. never know though i might be interested in earthline if the money is right. i do bloody miss tramping for some reason lol. you still got the MAN?

Still got the Multi Agg MAN, it’s more distinctive now as the driver’s side air deflector decided to bail out on the A40 this morning.