Guess who landed a start? :d

WOOOO! I did, I did!

I’m soo bloody happy right now it’s unreal. I had an interview today with an agency up in Glasgow for a vacancy advertised on behalf of the council for a HGV driver to operate and drive a bin lorry for a week or two to cover a sickness period. Out of ‘quite a bit’ of applicants, me and another guy were picked for an interview and judging by the text I just received I’m guessing the two of us were hired for the job as it started with “Hi Guys”.

There will be a trainer present for the first day which I’m very thankful for, and the hours and pay aint too shabby either! 7am-2pm or 7-3 and 6-2 or 6-3 can’t remember exactly. Very surprised at rate of pay which is £9 per hours so that’s great.

Was told the coverage was to be from 16/03 - 24/03 but may last longer as it was to cover a period of sickness.

Will post a diary, and any pictures if I can manage it.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice one Sam well done I thought you already had it from your previous post that`ll teach me to read somat properly :laughing:

Go and impress em and will hopefully lead to a full time position good on ya

Jen x

Nice one sam, that should give you a massive amount of experience even if its only a couple of weeks Best of luck.

It’s all experience. Enjoy and all the best. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well done, thats a good wage in this climate and those hours means you can have a social life too!

Well done mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well done Sam, do a good job for them and they might keep you on for a while or if not, they will ask for you when they need a driver

Thanks for all your posts guys. Hope it may lead to something permanent for now. :slight_smile:

Great news for you Sam you have worked hard to get it matey :smiley: only bit of advise is watch the back loader when you make a turn as it will swing out … :wink: have fun mate and enjoy the only way is Up now :smiley:

good on ya Sam,

All that hard work has paid off, now you can put on your CV work you have done this will make you more employable FACT!!!

Fingers crossed you can get your Class one sooner rather than later.

Really good to see a 18 year old get off his ■■■, and find work, if all 18/19 year olds were like you the country would be a better place

Congrats mate you have earned it!

Great news Sam! Best of luck my man :slight_smile:

Thats gonna teach you how to drive :wink: lol

Well done Sam! I’ve seen the bin jobs advertised at £9 ph here in London so you’ve done well on the money front too!

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Day went well. Arrived there at 0620 (was to be there for 0700) so went to the little hut at 0645 just to let the fella know I was there. He had a laugh and told me that I wasn’t a lorry driver and told me I was pulling his leg until I showed him my license and cards and that, all in a jokingly manner. Anyway he photocopied my stuff and went on to tell me he wasn’t expecting me in until Monday but someone has mentioned something about a training session or something.

So nobody basically knew what they were doing and me and the other fella from the agency sat in the canteen talking for 4 and a half hours until someone showed up who took us on an assessment drive. Didn’t bother me really, getting paid to sit around.

The other fella was up first for his assessment and he passed, it only involved some town driving, country roads and two reversed around corners and between obstructions. So we went back to the yard and off he went to tell the gaffer in the hut he had a new driver, and then it was my turn, so me and the assessor went out ourselves, same thing again so good thing I was watching, passed with no problems.

Went back to the yard to find out the other guy had been sent out with somebody on a quick run or something and I wasn’t needed so I could go home (this was about 12ish).

I didn’t need asking twice and off I went home. Back in Monday morning at 0700, was told to trust my crew as they are good banksmen and NOT to get out and have a look for myself as this costs time (fair enough) but at the end of the day it’s my responsibility at the driver if I hit someone/something, regardless if the crew said it was clear.

Personally I don’t think I would be able to take bin lorry driving as a full time job as I prefer my own space and would much rather work on my own as I believe most of us prefer to do anyway but for now I’m not complaining as it’s getting me the crucial experience I need.

The gaffer also said he would be happy to give me a reference and he whispered to me he wouldn’t mind saying I had worked there for a couple of months if any other employer ever asked.

So, all in all was a decent day, although long. (I’m used to 0500-1900) but I think because I sat on my ■■■ for 4 and a half hours didn’t help much. Completely forgot to get a picture but will get one Monday and let you all know how I get on on my first run.

Nice one, but don’t forget to pack a spare ladder in your bag for when your arse end seizes up after you’ve tipped, as happened to me last Tuesday! :laughing:

1__.jpg

nickb67:
Nice one, but don’t forget to pack a spare ladder in your bag for when your arse end seizes up after you’ve tipped, as happened to me last Tuesday! :laughing:

Ouch lol! We were told not to go anywhere near the underneath of it when it’s up or it gets sticks cause there ain’t no coming back from that if it lands on ya.

Well done Sam.

And yes you are right. It is your responsibility to make sure that all is well behind you when reversing. So you either trust your banksman or tell them to sod it…cos it’s YOUR license.

Rather you than me on the bin wagons. Down here you are expected to get out and do all the bin shifting too.

Looks like you have made it on the first step of the ladder. Best of luck out there mate.

Congratulations.

Sam Millar:
Didn’t bother me really, getting paid to sit around.

You’ll do alright in this game then. I do 50-60 hours a week but half of that is spent on the bunk with my eyes shut.

Thanks guys.

7am start tomorrow so we’ll see what it brings. Going to get the guys to run through the controls on the back again when it comes to tipping.

We were on Commercial pickups this morning which meant I used my digi card for the first time. Driving a Dennis with Volvo running gear and an Allison fully auto box. 6x2 and a pleasure to drive actually.

I drove the last half of the day and the other half was basically a demonstration just to see the vehicle and how it reacted. As I was driving I could gradually feel it getting heavier. One thing I also noticed was that the public are absolute ■■■■■■■■■■ They have no due regard for the job you do and the space you need etc. I was sitting in the cab and my crew jumped in and as they were coming in the door I indicated and then I sat for a good minute and a half and no one let me out, so being on a timetable you have to start moving and I felt horrible for it but I had to “safely” pull out on someone. I’m genuinely a courteous driver but now I see why bin men and bus drivers pull out on people a lot as you just really can’t sit and wait for someone to let you out.

Back in tomorrow at 7am and away for 3, don’t mind that I’m not driving a HUGE amount to be fair, when I am - I’m loving it and it’s good experience. I’m getting paid to sit on my arse so happy days!