Grundrils Grand ( but painful ) day out...with pics!

Hello all,

Thought I would post about my grand day out .

Started off from home and arrived at the yard nice and early so as to see if i had a motor available or as per usual hang around for hours and lo and behold to my surprise, I had the choice of 3 !!! Practicaly unheard of !

[/img]

So I spoke to boss,

“can I take one of the Mercs ?”

“Nope” was his extensive reply.

“Any particular reason ?” asks me,

“Yes, one is going out in half an hour and the other has condensation in the air tanks and you have not got time to drain them”,

So, two hours later, after not having enough time to drain the air tanks :confused: I get my motor:
[/img]

It still did not have a full load so i decided to get a picture of the shunting vehicle for all you enthusiasts:

[/img]

Apparently its been there for years, and quite a few people have made substantial offers to buy it and get it restored !!!

Anyway, while i was waiting for the last few items for my load, i spoke to one of the other drivers, who advised me to check my spring clips on the trailer, what a good idea thinks me, so off i toddle, checking all the straps :

However, one of them bit back, and i learnt a valuble lesson of keeping your head out of the way while trying to reclip it :

To say it hurt was an understaetment, there were a few choice words, one of the lads who was in the yard took me to the med room where I was patched up,
Note that the huge head is normal :smiley: Its the swelling round the gob which hurts and still does :open_mouth: Basically, what happend, was i tightend the strap and leaned into it to lock it, i thought it had clipped but to my surprise :open_mouth: it had not and it opened up at a fair old rate of knots resulting in the above painful experience !!!

I finally get on the road after having tapped the address of my drop into my sat nav :
[/img]

I arrive at tewkesbury, an hour or so later…in the wrong bloody location :open_mouth: , thanks to tom tom. I phone Bensons and explain the problem,"not a problem mate, it happens all the time for some reason"says the TM. He explains where I need to be and off I go. Ten minutes late and Iam there.

I get my bay number and proceed to take seven shunts to get it on a bay you could land a sodding Jumbo Jet on !!! :

[/img]

I spend the next hour with the entertainment of a digger knocking the living daylights out of a building :
[/img]

The unloading is finished and its time to go home so along the M5 i pass these big old boys:
[/img]

I get back to the yard in good time with an extremly sore face and my pride some what dented, but again its all part of the learning curve, and i was pleased as this only took me two shunts :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
[/img]

And I know, the more experienced amongst you will be tuting about the space between the trailers, but i dont mind as we all had to learn at some stage :smiley:

And hear endeth my day :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Wonder if Darlington is going to be as much fun on Friday night ■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nice post Grundril mate! A 6 month tour in a freaking warzone …then a humble curtainsider takes you out! :laughing: Sorry to laugh mate, but I just couldn’t help myself!

P.S. I’m sure that “■■■■■■” is really a Volvo 850 y’ know… :smiley:

I know mate, thats the worst of it !!! get shelled every night for six weeks and nothing, and i let my guard down for one second… :smiley:

And as for the ■■■■■■ you could be right :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Grundril,
is that yard you were working out of in Wylds rd, Bridgwater (or Bilgewater as it is known in our depot). If it is I used to work on the wagons out of there when it was the dispatch bay of Autobars(plastic drinking cup manufacturers) in the 70’s. I see lots of CL’s wagons going up and down the M5, but I haven’t noticed any Mercs, they mostly seem to be Scanias or Magnums. Are they going over to Mercs, or is it just a case of what they can get? They do seem to have got bigger recently, since they merged with Janes.

Hi Kickstart,

The yard is in Trowbridge, its a bed manafacture who delivers to all the catalogue stores…Argos, white arrow, home direct etc,

The trailers are leased from CL Transport, and the tractors are on lease from hill hire, I think it is about 5 Mercs and 3 DAF’s. As for CL tractors, yes they are mainly Scanias as far as Iam aware.

So if you see the Trailers with Mercs, it is more than likley agency drivers and a couple of full timers from Norian. But anything else should be CL Transport.

Thats funny as ■■■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good Diary mate.
I went to Bensons with a container about 4-5 months ago,I too could’nt find the place,took me about an hour once I’d driven round all the industrial estates in Tewksbury.
I did’nt even have a road name.

Shrek:
P.S. I’m sure that “■■■■■■” is really a Volvo 850 y’ know… :smiley:

The Volvo 850 evolved into the V70 in 1996,(P reg).

£50 is my final offer!

Tiger.

I’m struggling to find any sympathy and in fact, kinda think you deserved that clout in the face!! :laughing:

I blame it on the curse of that ■■■■ avatar of yours!!! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

:wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

i’ll have first shout on the bumper for my wrecker. :smiley:

Cool diary!! :sunglasses:

Shame you never got a Merc. :cry: