Grow a pair

After reading a few threads on here (eg. agency treatment, Harry Monks Thurrock letter etc.etc) it amazes me how willing a lot of drivers today just unquestionably take any injustice or unfairness dished out to them without the slightest display of displeasure or resistance. At our firm you see them getting a job eg a long run on a Friday or an unreasonable very early start, saying “yeh ok no probs boss” meet their mates outside and say " sick of that ■■■■■■■ look what I’ve got and its Friday", or “■■■■ him I aint starting that early” :unamused:. I know jobs are scarce and because of this a lot of firms (including mine) work on a “If you don’t like it ■■■■ off” basis :smiling_imp: but you are entitled to your say ffs :unamused: , and you don’t have to do it in an agressive manner, a bit of tact can achieve a lot. Like the agency thing, I don’t know, but maybe if all the drivers showed a little bit of backbone it might be at least a little better. The parking situation is like it is because some (not me!) accept non facility lay by parking as the norm, after nearly all town parks were shut down because again, accepted. Work conditions like hours, hourly pay and overtime format, holidays, fought for by previous generations have all gone to ■■■■ and we all just carry on in trucking bliss, some just because they have been compensated by a couple of spotlights :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: , Maggie was very crafty selling their council houses to the working classes appearing to do a selfless act, pre 80s workers would strike for their rights (Yeh I know a lot of times it was out of hand) with only their rent to pay, but there was a hidden agenda ie where as now a mortgage is a different ball game. I’m not making a call for civil anarchy amongst truckers, but for Christs sake there are a lot amongst us who really should grow a pair, and act like grown ups.
That was Roy’s Christmas message for this year, off to the pub to get ■■■■■■ :laughing: :laughing:

i’ve had similar conversations just lately.
one lad gave over five months notice to take a day off. it was refused.
i told him to get them told “it’s not a request, it’s just polite to give them some notice”.
he said [zb] all to them. but i’m his direct boss, so i went to the office and told them that if any of my lads wants a day off they don’t refuse it. the shock on there faces was great.
they have been told never to treat me like a yes man either. it won’t wash.
i’ve been offered a promotion now. but i handed in my notice instead. it was only supposed to be an odd day here and there.
i think i’ve made more positive changes in the last two months than anyone else in the last 2 years. there’s no more agency staff. i’ve given them all permanent contracts. the big bosses think it was there idea though. :laughing:

I totally concur what was said, too many people in this fraternity only see to the end of their noses and are totally singular in their thinking.
Credit where credit is due Maggie Thatcher did do a very good job of dividing and conquering the workers.

Reading this made me chuckle.

I was at a Morrisons processing plant on Sunday PM…They rejected two boxes of spuds and refused to move them from half way along the trailer (Stacked) I politely informed them that I could not take them away until they had moved them to the headboard…No, they weren`t having any of it.
I politely informed them why they had to ensure I had a secure load, regulations etc. But they were telling me it was all my fault :laughing:
I remained calm and started telling them it was common sense…Another manager came out and told me to get in my cab. I informed her that I would not be spoken to in that manner and that I be treated like a human being, I was in charge of the truck and the loading of it…All polite and no raised voice…I could see I was getting nowhere, so I informed them that I would block the ONE access to the plant and stop operations.
The male manager said he would call the Police…I asked him to do so, as it was private property, so therefore a civil matter (same rights as travellers) And that I would highlight that they were willing to send me onto a public highway with an unsafe load.
I got in my cab and said that I would come out once the load was moved as I had asked.

At all times I was polite, reasoned and able to explain my needs.

5 minutes later the boxes were where I asked them to be, I thanked them and bid them a happy christmas and got on my way.

There was a lot more to this regarding dialogue and their responsibilities and H&S etc.

I still cant believe that people in charge of goods in are so ignorant of the requirements of loads etc. At the end of the day, all it was, was a battle of their egos…They wanted to be the ones to come up with a solution :unamused: Very childlike and not at all professional!
I may not be welcome there again, I don`t know, as it seems not to have filtered back to the office yet :laughing:

wavyok:
I totally concur what was said, too many people in this fraternity only see to the end of their noses and are totally singular in their thinking.
Credit where credit is due Maggie Thatcher did do a very good job of dividing and conquering the workers.

+1

Nice one…but the driver is responsible for the safety of his vehicle and load, should something happen, then their loading cannot be used as an excuse, because its purely all down to the driver, and he and he alone will take full blame.

Like it or like it not.Maggie was a good thing for this Country.We were absolutely bankrupt after the fiasco that was Jim Callaghans Labour Government.Allowing the workers to buy their council houses gave people a chance to be responsible for themselves ,for some it was the first time in their lives.I remember the stupid strikes about demarcation and the need to maintain differentials between the various brothers in the many different unions.The customers did not want to buy an Austin Allegro when they could buy a much better Datsun Cherry that was likely to be reliable.The unions did not want changes made to out dated working practices and the management did not want to invest in new machine tools or upgrade the old worn out factories.

Maggie had the balls. nobody else has come close… yet.

alamcculloch:
Like it or like it not.Maggie was a good thing for this Country.We were absolutely bankrupt after the fiasco that was Jim Callaghans Labour Government.Allowing the workers to buy their council houses gave people a chance to be responsible for themselves ,for some it was the first time in their lives.I remember the stupid strikes about demarcation and the need to maintain differentials between the various brothers in the many different unions.The customers did not want to buy an Austin Allegro when they could buy a much better Datsun Cherry that was likely to be reliable.The unions did not want changes made to out dated working practices and the management did not want to invest in new machine tools or upgrade the old worn out factories.

I agree with everything you say despite my OP. I did say a lot of strikes were ott, mainly because the unions achieved so much power to the point that them, and not the govt, were running the country. The purpose of a trade union is to represent workers, the problems arose when they went far beyond that. Today the balance has been tipped entirely the other way, to the point where they have minimal power, resulting in the working man being “kept in his place” The council house thing was an insurance to stop any action being taken as I said, so Maggie was not being as entirely generous as she made out. My OP main point was not to make a political anayisis but to point out that drivers just bend over and take it however unreasonable or harsh it may be.

truckyboy:
Nice one…but the driver is responsible for the safety of his vehicle and load, should something happen, then their loading cannot be used as an excuse, because its purely all down to the driver, and he and he alone will take full blame.

Not strictly true.

If they ordered you to leave the premises with an unsafe load and drive on a public road they would be ‘causing or permitting’ the carriage of an unsafe load. This is an offence. They could find themselves in court alongside you. Worth explaining that to the dork on the loading bay. Yes the driver is responsible for the safe loading of the vehicle, but that means he is within his rights to refuse to move it if it is dangerous.The loader or shipper cannot order a driver to take an unsafe vehicle on the road without breaking the law.

And drivers have been prosecuted for H&S offences committed on private land…so you are within your rights to refuse to do anything that you think a reasonable person would judge could cause an undue danger to you, your fellow workers or anyone else.

If in doubt, use your phone to photograph the danger and record what is said to you about it. Or write it down at once with the place,date and time, and the names (if you can find them) of everyone involved (a contemporaneous written record is admissible as evidence in court).

Everyone has the right to return home safely after a day at work, and everyone has a responsibility to make sure that they can.

As someone else said on another thread you have to 'grow a pair".

Just remembered: you can get an App from Renault trucks that allows you to photograph a dangerous load or whatever and send the pic, the time and the location instantly…to your employer…(or the local HSE office?)

There’s probably a relationship between “growing a pair” and then being called nuts once you’re deemed to have GOT a pair, if the constant critiques of my own stances are anything to go by on this board. :confused:

Some good points being made here.

I had the greatest respect for Thatcher, one reason being if you asked her a question you got an answer, you might not like that answer but you got one and knew where you stood, something you’ll never know with the two faced self serving swine that have followed.

Thatcher was no miracle worker though and she had many faults one of the worse being her ■■■■■■■■■■ ego, she might well have presided over a massive growth time with money flowing freely, but it was subsidised by selling off most of the nations assets (Blair the Weapon of Mass Destruction carried that money raiser on) and incomes from North Sea Oil.

She like Blair and those since squandered what should have been our best years, instead of investing the money raised into high tech quality manufacturing (real jobs for generations) we ■■■■■■ it up the wall on imports, immigration, vanity projects, benfits for all, quangos, wars, foreign aid(bribes) and the EU…not necessarily in that order.

Winseer:
There’s probably a relationship between “growing a pair” and then being called nuts once you’re deemed to have GOT a pair, if the constant critiques of my own stances are anything to go by on this board. :confused:

Quite right mate. I worked for a crap company a few years back, stood up to them whilst many others bent over… I left and I was castigated by the same sucker uppers who wouldn’t accept any criticism of the company but bleated like sheep constantly (not Stobbies, but I know it’s the same there)!
Maybe we really should just look after number 1 eh?

The ones who moan about being badley treated and being crapped on from a great height
are probably the same ones on here slagging Tesco drivers for standing up to the green death that is stobart .
" aye well they deserve it , they had it too easy for too long, I wouldnt work for someone like Tesco " etc , etc…

Utter nonsense !!!

Said it before and I’ll say it again …lorry drivers are their own worst enemies !

Winseer:

It is because most who frequent this board, have bought into the whole bollox thing.
Show freedom of thought, responsibility and you will get it in the ear from the many spineless excuses for humans on here…But it is not just here, there are many forums and distribution centre people that act the same way.
I smoke in every drop I go to…I don`t get challenged very often and if I do, I just deny I am smoking, even if it is clear that I am…People have no balls any more, they are mostly pathetic.

Marty B7:
The ones who moan about being badley treated and being crapped on from a great height
are probably the same ones on here slagging Tesco drivers for standing up to the green death that is stobart .
" aye well they deserve it , they had it too easy for too long, I wouldnt work for someone like Tesco " etc , etc…

Utter nonsense !!!

Said it before and I’ll say it again …lorry drivers are their own worst enemies !

Exactly Marty. As an ex Tesco driver I was surprised at the negativity and " This is how it is these days" and “you lot were arrogant and overpaid” mindset.
FFS. There’s a lot of people willing to join in with the race to the bottom. Call us what you want but we stuck together when it mattered

att:

Winseer:

It is because most who frequent this board, have bought into the whole bollox thing.
Show freedom of thought, responsibility and you will get it in the ear from the many spineless excuses for humans on here…But it is not just here, there are many forums and distribution centre people that act the same way.
I smoke in every drop I go to…I don`t get challenged very often and if I do, I just deny I am smoking, even if it is clear that I am…People have no balls any more, they are mostly pathetic.

Do you also take there lunch money billy big baws

Winseer:

You don’t need to grow a pair to hide Heinz a keyboard and make daft statements on a forum

nearly there:

att:

Winseer:

Do you also take there lunch money billy big baws

:laughing: Never…You use their rules against them and you do it politely and from an informed postition, otherwise you just look stupid.
Bullying, shouting etc. did not get anyone anywhere, apart from alienated and waiting.

I know exactly what you guys are saying. I refused to move an unsafe trailer a while ago. The boss was very upset about it until I asked a couple of questions:

Me: Who is responsible if it goes wrong?

Boss: You are.

Me: Why are you criticising my call?

Boss: Because it cant be that bad.

Me: Is your name on my licence or the O Licence?

Boss: No.

Me: Send a fitter, or I don’t move the trailer.

It was an old M&G ratchet decked trailer, where the posts on the drivers side had broken away from the deck. I had already gone balistic that I was sent out with a trailer in that condition. When I picked it up, there was 8t on the top decks which hid the damage, but the company knew there was a problem with the trailer and still let me take it out.

I dont claim to know everything, but after a year in role, I am starting to know what looks right, and what doesn’t look normal. If it isnt normal, I am not taking it anywhere without expert advice.