Gross train weight

Hi guys, this is slighlty complicated, not sure if this post is in the right place, moderators maybe to help with right place on this site.

Anyway onto the problem, its abit long winded, but please bear with me, trying to save my job at this point.

What i would like to know, is the carrying weights, i drive 3.5 ton flat bed, now could i load 3.5ton and also have a trailer, which would ad to the gross train weight, and still be under the weight limit of a tacko.

we are having cut backs and staff reductions, just trying to come up with some ideas, for the boss.

trying to save me job guys, any help, or other advice around the similar situation i have mention would be greatly appreciated.

need advice asap, as letters handed out monday, have till the to hopefully come up with something for boss.

Hi. In brief, any goods vehicle or goods vehicle/trailer combo exceeding 3.5 tonnes MAM needs a tacho.

There are loads of little quirks etc in the rules but that is it in it’s most basic form.

Hope that helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Hi. In brief, any goods vehicle or goods vehicle/trailer combo exceeding 3.5 tonnes MAM needs a tacho.

There are loads of little quirks etc in the rules but that is it in it’s most basic form.

Hope that helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

pete is there anyway i can call u, leave my number here, want all info i can to put to boss, as i said, redundancy letters going out monday, im in a pretyy good running to keep job, but need to come up with some ifo for boss

A simple flow chart that shows the basics.

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Q … ailers.pdf

The VOSA Guide. Please note. In the example the first weight should say 1695kg/lbs.

sean46mc:
What i would like to know, is the carrying weights, i drive 3.5 ton flat bed, now could i load 3.5ton and also have a trailer, which would ad to the gross train weight, and still be under the weight limit of a tacko.

As soon as the GTW goes over 3500kg you need a tacho. So if your van is plated at 3500kg then any trailer on it, however small, brings you into tacho territory.

Probably not the answer you wanted, sorry…

Paul

repton:

sean46mc:

As soon as the GTW goes over 3500kg you need a tacho. So if your van is plated at 3500kg then any trailer on it, however small, brings you into tacho territory.

Probably not the answer you wanted, sorry…

Paul

Thanks for great advice, now i have another question, im sorry for all questions,
The main thing we need is space, not so much the weight. as we deliver, pvc windondows and ali bifolds
and quite often unglazed, which keeps weight down as 90% of what we carry is plastic so to speak.
now could we buy a 7.5t truck, which has bigger load space, and run it at 3.5t without tacho and all that.

speedy replies greatful, we got our letters to say they maybe redundecies, im fighting for my job here, as we have been
asked to come up with ideas

thanks sean

sean46mc:
The main thing we need is space, not so much the weight. as we deliver, pvc windondows and ali bifolds
and quite often unglazed, which keeps weight down as 90% of what we carry is plastic so to speak.
now could we buy a 7.5t truck, which has bigger load space, and run it at 3.5t without tacho and all that.

In principle you can have vehicles plated down to lower weights than their max (most vehicles already have design weights above their plated weight anyway).

Unfortunately, you’ll find that a 7.5t truck probably weighs 3.5t or more empty anyway, so you’ll end up with nothing useful at all.

I’d have said your best bet for volume at 3.5t is a big panel van, because they’re a much, much lighter build than a 7.5t truck.

sean46mc:
could we buy a 7.5t truck, which has bigger load space, and run it at 3.5t without tacho and all that.

As has already been said a 7.5tonner is going to tare over 3.5t so that will be a non starter.

The only thing I can suggest given the problem you’ve described so far is to simply get the tallest longest 3.5t van you can find. Some of them look huge.

Paul