Gross trailer weight

Can someone tell me.
On my 44 foot curtain sider last night i had a 44 ton Daf coupled to it.
But on looking at the trailer plate it said gross train weight 38000kg. Now does this mean i would be maxed out at 38 ton or the 44 ton by going on the unit.

LASHHGV:
Can someone tell me.
But on looking at the trailer plate it said gross train weight 38000kg. Now does this mean i would be maxed out at 38 ton or the 44 ton by going on the unit.

Is it on springs or on air?
How many axles?
We don’t have MOT plates on ours, Just a manufacturers plate stateing the axle weights.
But if it says 38000kg GTW then that’s it,
But if it’s a 3 axle it could be upgraded at its next MOT if it’s on air.

LASHHGV:
Can someone tell me.

Which plate were you looking at? The Manufacturers plate or the Ministry plate?

from the DFT- Plated weight
The maximum authorised mass should be shown on the departments manufacturing plate fitted to the vehicle. This means the marking on a goods vehicle, by means of a ministry plate, showing the maximum weights for that particular vehicle eg maximum authorised mass, and in certain cases, train weight.

Train weight
Train weight is the combined MAM of the vehicle and the trailer it is pulling.

this may help you

Gross vehicle weight (GVW) is the maximum legally permitted weight of the vehicle plus load (not to be confused with design weight, which is usually higher).

Gross train weight (GTW) is the total weight of the tractor unit plus trailer plus load (sometimes called gross combination weight (GCW)).

Maximum authorised mass (MAM) is a term for permissible maximum weight, used on the vehicle plate.

IMO the trailer is 38 ton and the tractor is 6 ton which is 44

as your tractor can pull 44 ton this sould be OK

Del

delboytwo:
this may help you

Gross vehicle weight (GVW) is the maximum legally permitted weight of the vehicle plus load (not to be confused with design weight, which is usually higher).

Gross train weight (GTW) is the total weight of the tractor unit plus trailer plus load (sometimes called gross combination weight (GCW)).

Maximum authorised mass (MAM) is a term for permissible maximum weight, used on the vehicle plate.

Del

I have just come off the phone to VOSA and delboytwo is correct - the max gross train weight is 44 tonnes :slight_smile:

ROG:

delboytwo:
this may help you

Del

I have just come off the phone to VOSA and delboytwo is correct - the max gross train weight is 44 tonnes :slight_smile:

what even with a 2 axle truck Rog? :confused:

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

delboytwo:
this may help you

Del

2 axle trailer would probaltly have 32 to GTW and if your tractor is 44 ton you could pull it if your tractor was plated at 38 ton you would not be able to pull a 38 ton GTW trailer

Del

Its a 3 axle curtainsider on air.
I was looking at the ministry plate that said gross train weight 38000kg.
I weighed myself back at the yard just short of 40t.

As others have said the 38ton on the trailer plate is the maximum authorised mass for the trailer only. So it’s perfectly legal at 44t as long as the unit is plated/taxed at 44t as the unit will probably be something like 8t which only leaves 36t for the trailer anyway.

Paul

Here is a good site with all the axle configurations, permitted weights and explanations

1. To operate at 38,000kg the vehicle must consist of:
    a 2 axle tractor and 2 axle semi-trailer
    the tractor must not exceed 18,000kg
    the weight of the axles of the semi-trailer must not exceed 20,000
    the drive axle is fitted with twin tyres and road friendly suspension

2. To operate at41,000 or 44,000kg the following must apply
    each drive axle must not exceed 10,500kg, and either drive axle is fitted with Iwin tyres and road friendly suspension or each non steered drive axle is fitted with Iwin lyres and each axle does not exceed 8500kg

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

Just asked the question that was on the site - did not ask about axles etc.

LASHHGV:
Can someone tell me.