Grocontinental info?

Hi guys, I applied for a job at Grocontinental a good few months ago and didn’t hear anything back, in need of work I went to Stobarts and have been there since. To be honest certain things are starting to get to me abit at Stobarts. Only a few weeks ago Grocontinental got back in touch with me after apparently losing the email address the job advert was linked too. I thanked them and told them I’d since found work. Their depos about the same distance as my current commute.

Now I’m wondering whether I’d be better off going and having a look. I’ve searched what I can about them on trucknet, apparently they pay hourly with different rates for driving and waiting. I also read they give a bonus or payment based on number of deliveries or collections completed. I’ve also seen their drivers names on the cab side and many of them having alot of years service indicating it could be a good job. Does anybody have any other info? Thanks

Owned by our lot now (Agro Merchants)
Fleet of new trucks coming 2019 and trailers too and heard gonna be working more closely with us in Northern Ireland.
Think they may eventually change over to salary like us.

We are getting a pay rise starting Mon and I’m hearing good things about this yrs Xmas bonus.

The Grocott family still@ helm though.
Might be good things coming to Whitchurch in future!!!

Big Truck:
Owned by our lot now (Agro Merchants)
Fleet of new trucks coming 2019 and trailers too and heard gonna be working more closely with us in Northern Ireland.
Think they may eventually change over to salary like us.

We are getting a pay rise starting Mon and I’m hearing good things about this yrs Xmas bonus.

The Grocott family still@ helm though.
Might be good things coming to Whitchurch in future!!!

That sounds quite promising, though I can’t say I’m a fan of being on a salary if it were to go that way. I think I’ll give it a few more weeks and see if i’m still feeling the same way and if so I’ll definitely be trying Grocontinental

I don’t have any direct info on their terms and conditions I’m afraid, but until a few years ago I was in their site on a fairly regular basis both delivering and collecting loads, and the thing that struck me most was that in all the years I went there I never met a miserable or unhappy driver, office bod or cold store loader / unloader.

As a visiting driver I got treated with respect and courtesy and I saw the same applied to their own drivers.

I know this doesn’t help with finding out how much they pay, or how they pay it, but to me, what I saw speaks volumes as I would rather work for someone who treated me well rather than go for top dollar.

I was talking to a driver from there the other day and he was saying a lot of new drivers don’t stay for long.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mdourish:
I was talking to a driver from there the other day and he was saying a lot of new drivers don’t stay for long.

Arent these the 30something brigade who expect the job to be moulded around their circumstances, who fancy a bit of frigo but dont really listen to anybody regarding advice, then completely bottle the job when they realise it isn’t 9-5 ?

Tgtrucker:
I don’t have any direct info on their terms and conditions I’m afraid, but until a few years ago I was in their site on a fairly regular basis both delivering and collecting loads, and the thing that struck me most was that in all the years I went there I never met a miserable or unhappy driver, office bod or cold store loader / unloader.

As a visiting driver I got treated with respect and courtesy and I saw the same applied to their own drivers.

I know this doesn’t help with finding out how much they pay, or how they pay it, but to me, what I saw speaks volumes as I would rather work for someone who treated me well rather than go for top dollar.

^^^ +1
Easily the most pleasant place to deliver to anywhere in the UK, everybody is helpful and polite… :open_mouth:

They are even apologetic if they catch you trying it on too early and you have to foxtrot Oscar till nearer your booking time :laughing:

Tgtrucker:
I would rather work for someone who treated me well rather than go for top dollar.

After being messed around and treated like ■■■■ at Stobarts this is a statement I can relate to. No messing around with curtains in the wind and rain all winter sounds appealing too, though I don’t know how well I’d sleep with a fridge running all night

Redrum:

Tgtrucker:
I would rather work for someone who treated me well rather than go for top dollar.

After being messed around and treated like [zb] at Stobarts this is a statement I can relate to. No messing around with curtains in the wind and rain all winter sounds appealing too, though I don’t know how well I’d sleep with a fridge running all night

If parking In services drop the trailer then park far away from it sleep well then

mdourish:

Redrum:

Tgtrucker:

After being messed around and treated like [zb] at Stobarts this is a statement I can relate to. No messing around with curtains in the wind and rain all winter sounds appealing too, though I don’t know how well I’d sleep with a fridge running all night

If parking In services drop the trailer then park far away from it sleep well then

I use night mode, a secret fridge drivers cheat, only known to fridge drivers

biggriffin:

Is this mysterious night mode also known as turning it off? :grimacing:

Redrum:

biggriffin:

My rules are (ice cream excepted) if I’m by myself then constant mode is selected as white noise sends me to sleep. If I’m surrounded by others then “whisper mode” (off) is selected by 9pm. It makes less than 3 degrees difference over 5 or 6 hours tbh.

the maoster:

Redrum:

biggriffin:

My rules are (ice cream excepted) if I’m by myself then constant mode is selected as white noise sends me to sleep. If I’m surrounded by others then “whisper mode” (off) is selected by 9pm. It makes less than 3 degrees difference over 5 or 6 hours tbh.

You would think in this day and age technology would have enabled a quieter variant of fridge.I find the vibration of them harder to tolerate than the actual racket.I’m guessing such models exist but are massively expensive :exclamation:

the maoster:

Redrum:

biggriffin:

If you have a newish box, run constant at -26 till bed time then turn off, on getting up it’s about -8 switch back on should be back up to -25 in less than hour, or flat out till bedtime then drop temp to -12, might come on once in night, unless it’s a warm night, Or if it’s an old rattle box, drop it and pull forward … :smiley: a

To answer the two posts above; CP transport dropped a box in to be loaded when I last shunted. Once loaded I pulled it off the bay and fired it up and checked the set point before dropping it off and ended up calling a couple of collegues over to listen to it as I couldn’t believe just how quiet it was! It sounded like one of ours on electric. Unfortunately I neglected to take note of what make it was, only that it was brand new on its first trip.

the maoster:
To answer the two posts above; CP transport dropped a box in to be loaded when I last shunted. Once loaded I pulled it off the bay and fired it up and checked the set point before dropping it off and ended up calling a couple of collegues over to listen to it as I couldn’t believe just how quiet it was! It sounded like one of ours on electric. Unfortunately I neglected to take note of what make it was, only that it was brand new on its first trip.

Would guess it’s one of the new thermo-kings, they can be set to run at 600-900 rpm,

This is encouraging.

We’ve just had a pay rise where i am