Grizzled Newbie

robroy:
Saying that,.I’m sure the good Reverend did not come on here for a debate on Theology :smiley: nor to defend his own particular religion, so I wish him luck in finding a job in this game.

I’m in a similar camp to you Rob, Baptist parents meant 4 visits to church on Sunday & a couple of times during the week, plus all the other restrictions.

However, I understand due to the shortage of Christian candidates the Anglican Church don’t require vicars to be Christian anymore, just to be competent in the theatricals. So he might be a Rev, but it doesn’t mean he is religious.

I fail to see what anyone’s belief in any deity has to do with a career change.
Just go for it Tony, you’ve got a mature, common sense attitude and life experience on your side.

Thanks to all who’ve contributed to this - it’s interesting where an initial request for some trucking info can lead! Just a few comments in return: to those who are sceptical about religion - I know where you’re coming from. I had over 20 years thinking that religion was a load of BS, and that the people involved in it were morons. Gradually (SO gradually) I changed my mind - because I came to see that you didn’t have to believe all sorts of (what I thought to be) nonsense, before you could take religion seriously. Having found a way that I didn’t have to leave my brain outside before going into a church - I wanted to try and communicate this to the many thoughtful people who are put off religion by all the nonsense they hear (it’s sometimes said that churches are like swimming pools, with all the noise coming from the shallow end). So I became a vicar - not because I liked the theatrics, but because it was a job that was all about the Big Questions - not that I’d got Big Answers, but I did want to help people find their own ways of dealing with them. Yes - children do get bone cancer and all sorts of other terrible things happen - and to say ‘it’s God’s will’ is plainly obscene. I can’t go into what my response would be here - as it’s too big a topic, but if anyone would like to contact me (my email is amwindross@btinternet.com) or Google my name (Tony Windross) and have a look at some of the things I’ve written, I hope you’ll see that I’m not the stereotypical vicar - or, indeed, everyone’s cup of tea!

RevTony:
So I became a vicar - not because I liked the theatrics, but because it was a job that was all about the Big Questions

Just out of interest Tony do you believe any of the God stuff or is it more of a help your neighbor kind of thing??

I was lucky to make friends with the Immam that did the God Slot on Saudi TV in the 70s, he was more of a Tony Benn than a vicar - Top Man
But same as you did the Garden of Eden, Abraham, Elijah etc. for public consumption.

I do love God’s answer to Adam’s Question in the Garden of Eden when introduced to Eve:- “If we are the first 2 Humans, who is that over there then■■?” - - - Oh That’s Keith Richards, he’s been here forever - Genesis 3:15 ish.

Love the Keith Richard bit - that might find its way into a sermon one day! Re the God question - I don’t believe in the Old Man in the Sky thing that so many people (myself included, in my militantly atheist days) assume is the only religious show in town. I suppose my best (brief!) response - is that we’re part of an enormous universe and only have very tiny brains, which means (if we’re being really honest) that we need to own up to how out of our depth we are about pretty well everything. And that means acknowledging that underneath it all is a whole lot of Big Questions - aka Mystery. For me, that’s what God is - and the religious task/journey is what we do with all that stuff - all that sheer perplexity. Don’t know if that helps - or sounds like flannel - but wrestling with Mystery can’t ever be straightforward - which is why the mindless certainties of the grinning evangelicals makes me so angry. End of rant!

Olog Hai:
I am struggling to see what relevance or relation the weight of the cargo on his lorry has to a driver’s age and his ability to do the job. Can you clarify Conor?

You’ve not carried chipboard have you? Takes a fair bit of strapping down and you need to get those straps proper tight. Whatever.

RevTony:
I hope you’ll see that I’m not the stereotypical vicar - or, indeed, everyone’s cup of tea!

My post was…

Somewhat ‘upfront’. I chose the most deliberate contradicition I could of.

I have no problems with anyone who chooses to follow their beliefs. I know that faith gives many people (including some members of my family) a purpose and a direction in life. It’s just not for me.

RevTony:
we need to own up to how out of our depth we are about pretty well everything. And that means acknowledging that underneath it all is a whole lot of Big Questions - aka Mystery.

Mystery, or Lies like Boris■■?
I’ve never quite understood why we celebrate the Birth of Jesus H Christ in December when we know he was a Pisces born in March/April - any Ideas Vicar ■■

whisperingsmith:

RevTony:
we need to own up to how out of our depth we are about pretty well everything. And that means acknowledging that underneath it all is a whole lot of Big Questions - aka Mystery.

I’ve never quite understood why we celebrate the Birth of Jesus H Christ in December when we know he was a Pisces born in March/April - any Ideas Vicar ■■

The Christians took over the Winter Solstice celebrations that the Pagans had.

whisperingsmith:

RevTony:

It was a convenient time, everything was already shut for Christmas. :wink:

I think the biggest problem you face is the lack of suitable employers in the area. There aren’t any supermarket RDCs and reasonable size haulage companies seem to be sadly lacking too. There are plenty of removal companies, some skip operators and some quarries, but I imagine none of those are what you are looking for. Granted Newhaven is not too far away but I can’t think of a name operating out of there.

In your position -and I’m not too far off your age- I would be looking for a medium size haulage company that requires a non yard shunter - someone to load vehicles for other drivers and tip trailers locally with maybe the odd local run. Are there any pallet distribution companies nearby?

There’s a DPD depot in Eastbourne. Why not ask there. In my experience, they always seem to want w/e night trunkers, and it’s easy work.
On the same estate theres Brewers DAF. They might need drivers to collect and deliver vehicles.

LazyDriver » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 pm

There’s a DPD depot in Eastbourne. Why not ask there. In my experience, they always seem to want w/e night trunkers, and it’s easy work.
On the same estate theres Brewers DAF. They might need drivers to collect and deliver vehicles.

Thanks - I’ll give them a go!

Post by cav551 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:52 am

I think the biggest problem you face is the lack of suitable employers in the area. There aren’t any supermarket RDCs and reasonable size haulage companies seem to be sadly lacking too. There are plenty of removal companies, some skip operators and some quarries, but I imagine none of those are what you are looking for. Granted Newhaven is not too far away but I can’t think of a name operating out of there.

In your position -and I’m not too far off your age- I would be looking for a medium size haulage company that requires a non yard shunter - someone to load vehicles for other drivers and tip trailers locally with maybe the odd local run. Are there any pallet distribution companies nearby?

Thanks for the suggestion - I’ll have a look!

alamcculloch » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:26 am

[/quote]
The Christians took over the Winter Solstice celebrations that the Pagans had.

My understanding is that the Christian Church did the only sensible thing - and took over the pre-existing pagan mid-winter festival. So no one who’s looked at the evidence would actually think Christmas was the day Jesus was born. But (if you’re a Christian) you’ve got to celebrate it sometime - and 25th December is as good a time as any.

RevTony:
But (if you’re a Christian) you’ve got to celebrate it sometime - and 25th December is as good a time as any.

It was actually an example of stunning foresight by the Christian Church picking that particular day as most people are off work and opening presents on that day anyway.

Just shows that Christians aren’t stupid - although there are honourable exceptions!

> RevTony:
> Just shows that Christians aren’t stupid - although there are honourable exceptions!

Boris Johnson is a Christian isn’t he ■■

Yes, in the sense that that is the culture he’s been brought up in - so he’s more a Christian than (say) a Hindu.

But (surely?!) No, when it comes to living in a way that reflects/embodies/expresses Christian values.