Grizzled Newbie

LazyDriver:

alamcculloch:
Asking for a friend, do Reverends do Hail Marying. I thought that that was just the left footers. Hope that you find work and may your God be with you all.

Are we friends now? :smiley:

I would hope so. :smiley:

alamcculloch:

LazyDriver:

alamcculloch:
Asking for a friend, do Reverends do Hail Marying. I thought that that was just the left footers. Hope that you find work and may your God be with you all.

Are we friends now? :smiley:

I would hope so. :smiley:

Good for you two.
Which “Meeting House”?

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments - including the brutally honest ones! I much appreciate people taking the time to give an honest opinion. I’ll give at least some of the suggestions a try, and see what happens. On a broader note - this forum is a brilliant way for those who’ve been in the business for ages to keep in touch and share ideas, and for those starting out, to pick up all sorts of useful stuff. So many thanks to those who put in the time and effort to run it.
I’ve no idea if [at my advanced age, possessing only a pulse (!)] I’ll find any work - but it’s been a pleasure being in your company, and trading a bit of banter!

Truckers are generally speaking extremely cynical, often arrogrant and quite often ill tempered prats :stuck_out_tongue:. So this forum is a reflection on the attitudes you may face :grimacing:
Long as you dont take anything anyone says seriously, you will be fine.

BTW? Were you in the SAS raid of the Iran embassy? Because we have like 30 ex SAS members who are now truckers who was in involved in the Iran Embassy siege. We have a secret section just for us :grimacing:

We also have secret sections for fridge engineers and people who went to the moon. :sunglasses:

RevTony:
I’ve no idea if [at my advanced age, possessing only a pulse (!)] I’ll find any work - but it’s been a pleasure being in your company, and trading a bit of banter!

Your age is only an issue if you see it as such.
Im 29, and I spend probably 90% of my time driving and 10% unloading cages that weigh like 50kg and are on wheels.

I wasn’t Involved in the embassy siege - but I well remember my 29th birthday, as it was the day the Second World War ended.

RevTony:
and trading a bit of banter!

I’m up for some…

Banter. Would you be happy to help me out with some confusion I have with religion?

I’ll say now, I think religion has been the greatest threat to mankind and it’s advancement since the ten commandments were allegedly chipped away with a hammer and chisel. Greater even than global warming, Nestle, Putin and covid combined.

If god is all seeing and all caring, why do small children contract bone cancer?

Ok, it’s not really banter, my apologies.

Social occasions etc, I ve heard it said that Doctors, Coppers, etc never reveal their jobs because they always get asked for free advice…Clergy are often still in uniform, so can`t hide.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don`t

^^^ as a professional stunt ■■■■■ to the ■■■■ industry (I step up when the star can’t) I also hide my career choice at parties.

yourhavingalarf:
If god is all seeing and all caring, why do small children contract bone cancer?

Ok, it’s not really banter, my apologies.

Why not let Jesus answer that.
youtube.com/watch?v=Go4Qw9PCD7E

RevTony:
I wasn’t Involved in the embassy siege - but I well remember my 29th birthday, as it was the day the Second World War ended.

I was the youngest who joined up in 1957 the year before I was born and was sent in through the front door acting as a plumber or was it electrician can’t remember now.But most of the others involved that day were actually WW1 veterans who’d joined up in 1914 and who told me that the SAS was actually formed during the battle of the Somme but it had to be kept secret.
I’m thinking of maybe going back to driving trucks when I’m 90 and have had some time to enjoy my retirement for a while.

yourhavingalarf:
Banter. Would you be happy to help me out with some confusion I have with religion?

I’ll say now, I think religion has been the greatest threat to mankind and it’s advancement since the ten commandments were allegedly chipped away with a hammer and chisel. Greater even than global warming, Nestle, Putin and covid combined.

Our time as mortal beings is limited no one knows how long we’re here for.
There’s a purpose to every life regardless of how long.
It’s your choice to believe that when we leave here it isn’t the end.
No one is forcing anyone to believe that.
Why would you view that belief as being a threat to you.

> yourhavingalarf:
> I’ll say now, I think religion has been the greatest threat to mankind and it’s advancement since the ten commandments were allegedly chipped away with a hammer and chisel. Greater even than global warming, Nestle, Putin and covid combined.
>
> If god is all seeing and all caring, why do small children contract bone cancer?

Or let Carryfast post in TN ■■? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I would say that Religion isnt the problem but the evil vile swines that think that they practice Religion. Mankind has looked for meaning in some way long before the Bible, be it the Moon or the Tides.

Reply to Dozy (only just seen your post) - whether you believe it or not - it’s all true! You CAN borrow at 71, and my son (youngest of 4) is 31 - in his first teaching post, and unable to get on the property ladder without help. All our savings went on extending our house, which meant the only way we could help our lad was via loans. Hence the need for some extra cash to pay them back - and the reason why I’m looking for a bit of HGV work. But I’m also happy to receive any charitable donations anyone would like to make!

Carryfast:

yourhavingalarf:

This a great viewpoint. Humility.
Those that follow the religion of atheism/science are just as arrogant as those that believe that their religion is the chosen one.
Believing in a god, a power, an energy, has nothing to do with religion.
If you believe in a god, then it is real to you. And if it brings you comfort and peace, then it is powerful.
To believe in nothing, to believe that you are insignificant and worthless, and to defend that view so ardently, to the point of mocking anyone who believes otherwise, seems a very sad way to live your life.

Conor:
I work with a guy who is 71 and doing 5 nights a week hauling kitchens up to Scotland and 27 tonnes of chipboard back every night and another who is 70 this year who does 3 nights.

I am struggling to see what relevance or relation the weight of the cargo on his lorry has to a driver’s age and his ability to do the job. Can you clarify Conor?

The weight doesnt matter if its being loaded/ unloaded by forklift or some one else. I wont be driving a coal lorry again, but quite happy with a tipper.

Double post.

idrive:

Carryfast:

yourhavingalarf:

This a great viewpoint. Humility.
Those that follow the religion of atheism/science are just as arrogant as those that believe that their religion is the chosen one.
Believing in a god, a power, an energy, has nothing to do with religion.
If you believe in a god, then it is real to you. And if it brings you comfort and peace, then it is powerful.
To believe in nothing, to believe that you are insignificant and worthless, and to defend that view so ardently, to the point of mocking anyone who believes otherwise, seems a very sad way to live your life.

Coming from a family who made me attend Sunday school.as a kid,.and confirmation classes in my early teens,…I later on made up my own mind on all this when I was going through my girls,.cars and football stage in my mid teens. :smiley:
All religion in my humble opinion (I can do humble sometimes :smiley: ) is based on one thing…a fear of death,.
So all manner of things are invented/believed as a comfort towards this with some reassurance … ranging from shagging 40 virgins, to eternal peace in a Nirvanic land,.with the threat of a horrible short afterlife if you don’t toe the line.

I’m in the ‘‘root of all evil’’ and the ‘‘cause of most wars’’ camp when it comes to ANY religion, but if anybody has their beliefs, I aint got a problem with that nor them…unless of course they try and ram their beliefs down my neck with no invitation, that does annoy me somewhat.
My Grandparents were devout Christians, but they never tried to force their beliefs on me,.and it was my Granda who taught me to keep an open mind on everything and look for ulterior motives…which I do on everything.

Saying that,.I’m sure the good Reverennd did not come on here for a debate on Theology :smiley: nor to defend his own particular religion, so I wish him luck in finding a job in this game.