Gritters or lack of them

Alright, so what the hell has happened to the gritters. all this snow and ice on the roads and no gritter in sight. To be fair I saw one in Camberley town centre and one on the A3095 but the later one was just ploughing as there was no grit coming out from behind it. You’d have thought that all the warnings they had would have got them into action and sort out the roads. This is typical, loads of warning of bad weather and bugger all gets done. Driving on the M25 on Friday the ‘fog’ matrix lights were on, was wondering why then i spotted a ‘wall’ of snow. J13 litterally drove into a wall of the stuff, it was coming down so thick and fast thet it turned almost dark. As usual the traffic came to a grinding to a halt and it took ages to get to the M4 junction, where it was all clear.

I live on a bus route which I thought was a priority for the council to clear, we’ve had about 6’ of snow on Friday night & now on Sunday its still the same & the buses are off. WTF is wrong with them I live near an OAP home & sheltered housing these folks rely on buses & are ■■■■■■ without them :imp:

Fly sheet

The gritters that share the yard with us were out at least 5 times yesterday (Midlands) from 1400 when i went to work through to 3am when i left this morning. When i went all the drivers were asleep in their trucks, loaded and ready to go. These blokes had been on duty longer than me too. They were all motorway but i didnt see any local authority gritters at all yesterday. Didnt see any Police either!!

Mick.

It sure will be interesting on the roads tomorrow morning, luckilly I have a shortish run between Hounslow and Hangars lane.

Heres one

Was 4 of them stuck in the traffic on the A34

came home up the road on thursday / friday morning , left northamton , arrived in edinburgh and not one gritter to be seen all the way up. last week gritters out on the m6 south of brummie at night and it was 6 degrees !?.. jesus up here in scotland you cant even get a gritter to go out at -6 …council scum!

There all on the m1 near milton keynes at the mo as it was a bit dicey this afternoon. Seems to be clearing up a bit now though.

fly sheet:
I live on a bus route which I thought was a priority for the council to clear, we’ve had about 6’ of snow on Friday night & now on Sunday its still the same & the buses are off. WTF is wrong with them I live near an OAP home & sheltered housing these folks rely on buses & are [zb] without them :imp:

Fly sheet

Same here…we are on one of the major bus routes into Oxford and because we’ve seen no gritters, Stagecoach has suspended all services. Maybe one of the highways guys can enlighten us but isn’t it got something to do with the salt not working under certain conditions? Or maybe the authorities are worried about running low on salt?

Salt is no good when it gets to -10 or lower.

Paul

That’ll be it then mate, we’ve been forecasted around -8 so the council’s probably worried about wasting salt.

When the snow comes down like it has in Kent grit ain’t gonna work, you need snow ploughs/blowers

Muckaway:
That’ll be it then mate, we’ve been forecasted around -8 so the council’s probably worried about wasting salt.

-15 here right now, got to be up at 4am to start at 5am. Wrexham to Exeter!!

Paul

About 0200 this morning we had 2 gritters (now called salt spreaders :unamused: ) on M1 J14-10,spreading and ploughing but made no difference.It was -17 degrees at J14 so the salt would have been ineffective.Whilst being on shift for over 12 hours,we had crews that worked over 15 hours,the biggest problem that I saw was incompetent car drivers.It is unbelievable that a truck can climb an icy slope just to get stuck behind a prat in a car who is giving the car full throttle and wondering why its not moving,then those behind blame the truck driver for jack-nifing.

Do they not use grit anymore at all then? Is grit not more effective than salt below -10 C?

nickyboy:
Heres one

Was 4 of them stuck in the traffic on the A34

That looks like an Aec Mercury :laughing:

Silver_Surfer:
Do they not use grit anymore at all then? Is grit not more effective than salt below -10 C?

its the exact same stuff (though i could be wrong)

though if ya want to find a gritter there always seems to be 2 of them in tandom on the A1 going past the Metrocentre

Paul_Humphreys:

Muckaway:

-15 here right now, got to be up at 4am to start at 5am. Wrexham to Exeter!!

Paul

Heavy snow forecast here mate…
Ade…Torquay.

I know gritters were out on the M25 because at J24 about 0300 one of them overturned,so I can 100% say they were out and about :laughing:

bigvern1:
Heavy snow forecast here mate…
Ade…Torquay.

As long as I can get out of the yard I will be happy, as I will be on the clock then :wink:

Paul

There’s 6 of them on the go round the clock from my depot at the moment. :wink: