Gritters.......are you ready?

Hope they put on a better show than they did last year…might even get some of the stuff spread on the roads before it’s to late and all the noncy car drivers abandon their vehicles all over the shop because it’s ‘way to dangerous to drive in that’ :unamused: Or have they run out cuz they were to busy covering the roads 2 weeks back when it was dry and +5 :question:

latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/ … arts_of_uk

Actrosman:
Hope they put on a better show than they did last year…might even get some of the stuff spread on the roads before it’s to late and all the noncy car drivers abandon their vehicles all over the shop because it’s ‘way to dangerous to drive in that’ :unamused: Or have they run out cuz they were to busy covering the roads 2 weeks back when it was dry and +5 :question:

latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/ … arts_of_uk

You got it in one Actrosman,a lot of car drivers haven’t a clue how to drive on snow.Plus these days it only takes one vehicle to get stuck and the whole lot comes grinding to a halt.A lot of it is down to the greater volume of traffic on the roads.

Gritters are for wimps :laughing:

This is on I-15 in Idaho, it’s one of the main North-South routes in the country, lots of traffic uses it, I never saw one gritter or plough the whole day, they must’ve all been in a union or health and safety meeting, the BOCs :open_mouth:

newmercman:

This is on I-15 in Idaho, it’s one of the main North-South routes in the country, lots of traffic uses it, I never saw one gritter or plough the whole day, they must’ve all been in a union or health and safety meeting, the BOCs :open_mouth:

Are you sure? that looks like Crazyfast up ahead in a 6x4 gritter !

Trev it’s a 6x4 roadtrain gritter that curryfast is using

Last year my council ran out, they finally got some just as the snow finished they put down hundreds of tons of it. They ended up sweeping and shovelling it all back up again a month later. Brains of britain :laughing:

newmercman:
lots of traffic uses it

I can see.

Trev_H:

newmercman:

Are you sure? that looks like Crazyfast up ahead in a 6x4 gritter !

Looks more like the corridor - straight,flat and boring .
Thats the Dunkerke sugar beet heaps on the left isnt it? :smiley:

newmercman:

No it’s because they know that you don’t need them over there because of those 6x4 tractor units.But the news is that they’ve all been parked up here too after the Highways Agency read btd’s comments and kyrbos traction co efficient figures so now they reckon that a 4x2 and 6x2 artic stands more chance of getting along an ungritted motorway empty than a 6x4 gritter does full. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

www.flickr.com/photos/16693939@N07/5039815820

Rob K:

newmercman:
lots of traffic uses it

I can see.

That was worthy of a few smileys :laughing: It was Sunday morning Rob, they’re all in church or out shooting things :open_mouth:

I timed it quite well actually, I stopped before the worst of the mountains on Saturday night, I had another 4hrs left to run, but decided against it, set off in the morning and it comfirmed my decision to be the correct one, it was a bit naughty out there, Monday night they had a blizzard for a 600mile stretch of that road, according to the radio it’s still raging now (Tuesday) I’ve got to retrace my steps tomorrow after loading in LA, won’t be up there until Thursday, which is Thanksgiving, so hopefully it’s passed by then and they’ve finished their union meeting, can’t see many ploughs being out on Turkey Day so it will be fun to say the least, just wish I had a 6x2 instead of this lousy 6x4 though :laughing:

newmercman:

Rob K:

newmercman:
lots of traffic uses it

I can see.

That was worthy of a few smileys :laughing: It was Sunday morning Rob, they’re all in church or out shooting things :open_mouth:

I timed it quite well actually, I stopped before the worst of the mountains on Saturday night, I had another 4hrs left to run, but decided against it, set off in the morning and it comfirmed my decision to be the correct one, it was a bit naughty out there, Monday night they had a blizzard for a 600mile stretch of that road, according to the radio it’s still raging now (Tuesday) I’ve got to retrace my steps tomorrow after loading in LA, won’t be up there until Thursday, which is Thanksgiving, so hopefully it’s passed by then and they’ve finished their union meeting, can’t see many ploughs being out on Turkey Day so it will be fun to say the least, just wish I had a 6x2 instead of this lousy 6x4 though :laughing:

:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

minus five here and just got the call to go :laughing: :unamused:

Bit of advice, you may or may not know it but the grit that is put down needs to be activated. Lane 3 is often covered in snow as no one wants to travel in it but it has to be driven on to make it work properly.

Hi d4c24a.where are you :question: min5 sounds almost tropical :sunglasses:.this last week it has been between min16 to min 30c.i have driven our snowplough 2 times[we start to plough after there is 3cm of snow on the road]we expect a bit more for the next 4 months,but at least we have a long snowmobile season :wink: take care.mike