Gritter

Hi guys, I’m quite new to this forum and driving i suppose (only 8 years experience) and would like some help just to reassure myself.
I’m a Plant Operator/Driver working for a contractor to the MOD. My company is contracted to grit/plough the roads on the troop training area.
Until I started working for them they didn’t have a clue about drivers hours and the other driver that works there has always worked for the MOD which are Tacho/Drivers hours exempt. We have a restricted O license (carriage of our goods only) which I’m told doesn’t require us to have a CPC qualified transport manager so one of the pen pushers in the office is doing it ( you can imagine how well that works!!!)
They have always done a 7 day week on week off standby for gritting duties that is until i started when i informed them that its illegal. We are required to start at 5.30am-8am Morning run. Then do our normal 8 hour working day. Then 4.30pm-8pm evening run. The only exemption we have is if it snows its classed as an emergency so we will be tacho exempt for the period of the snow clearance.

This is what i want reassurance on : 1- I have said that we cannot drive 7 straight days (common sense)
2- If either driver has a day off during the week e.g Work mon-tue,wed-off,will be Ok to work thurs-sun ?
3- Either driver cannot do more than 2 of the above shifts in 1 week as will be over duty time, but can do morning run then go home (rest) until start of evening run? 4- After 6 days working ( driving & other work) a 45 hour rest is needed?

Hope I’m making sense.
Thank you in advance and look forward to your replies.
Rich

Hi there have a look here it my guide you to the right answers, sorry i can’t give you more help but hope this will

gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules

Hi, thanks for your reply but we run to EU regs not GB domestic. There lays my problem

you need to ask 2 questions

1/ are you exempt due to military armed forces status = no rules apply

2/ why EU rules, is the troop training area classed as a public road = if no then UK rules may apply but that limits to 11 hour days, and 24 hours off a fortnight

The GB Domestic rules don’t apply if:

you don’t drive on the public road, eg if you drive as part of work in road maintenance, quarrying, construction work, civil engineering works

you drive for less than 4 hours in any day

Would the OP be under EU regs because they have to drive from a yard to the MOD base and that drive is not EU regs exempt ?

In answer to the two questions : 1-We are a civvy company contracting to the MOD. 2- No the troop area is not a public road but the public do have access thru it and i travel on a public road to get to the training area.

GB rules wouldn’t suit us as there isn’t enough duty time available.

dickie_mint:
In answer to the two questions : 1-We are a civvy company contracting to the MOD. 2- No the troop area is not a public road but the public do have access thru it and i travel on a public road to get to the training area.

I cannot find an EU regs exemption for the driving on public roads in your situation so IMO all the driving whether on or off public roads comes under EU regs

That’s the conclusion Ive come to.