Grey area or so it seems with private HGV, help?

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice on the rules of tax when it comes to lorries. I’m looking at buying a 26 ton 6 axle rigid for use privately only, no commercial use at all just
for a hobby for transporting my tractor about the country. It’s 2nd hand and currently registered as a commercial vehicle and thus I will be paying full rate commercial tax until I can
apply to change the tax class to private HGV. My question is as I don’t have a CPC and the truck solely for hobby use can I drive it home on full commercial tax without a CPC, O licence ect then go about changing
tax class once its back in my yard??

Many thanks for any help its a real grey area not much info online anywhere!

Ring the DVLA

I do know that private Hgv use is covered by tachograph laws and if you convert it to a motorhome it isn’t.

I can’t see why you can’t drive it home if it’s road legal. The need for an o’licence and CPC holder is down to how you are operating it not how it’s taxed.

Billy7820:
My question is as I don’t have a CPC and the truck solely for hobby use can I drive it home on full commercial tax without a CPC, O licence ect then go about changing

In a word, yes.

PS. A 26 tonne, six axle rigid? WTF is it■■?

Harry Monk:

Billy7820:
My question is as I don’t have a CPC and the truck solely for hobby use can I drive it home on full commercial tax without a CPC, O licence ect then go about changing

In a word, yes.

PS. A 26 tonne, six axle rigid? WTF is it■■?

I’m guessing it’s not 26 tonne around half of that but plated up as 26 tonne gvw for the truck and load.

I’m pretty sure he meant 6 wheeler. :smiley:

Thanks all for the advice I shall have a quick double check with the dvla tomorrow but I reckon you got it spot on! And my fault 6 wheel not 6 axle! Thanks again for the help!

Billy7820:
Thanks all for the advice I shall have a quick double check with the dvla tomorrow but I reckon you got it spot on! And my fault 6 wheel not 6 axle! Thanks again for the help!

No prob.

If you really want to get it from the horse’s mouth then phone the Traffic Commissioner’s office in Leeds rather than DVLA, but you can take it from me that you don’t need an O licence or an Operator’s CPC to drive a truck unless you operate it on a commercial basis. It needs to be taxed, insured, MOT’d and roadworthy, and you need to have the relevant driving licence to drive it but that’s it.

I ran a 7.5 tonne tipper privately to move rubble and aggregate whilst renovating my house.

You do not need an O Licence, you only need private taxation class, you do not need to worry about using the tacho.

The hardest part I found was getting insurance as many brokers couldn’t compute private use of a ‘commercial’ vehicle.

f it’s over 7.5t then even for private use all EU Drivers Hours and Tachograph rules apply.

I agree no O licence or Driver CPC required.

There is an exemption from EU drivers’ hours & tachograph rules if it is an historic commercial vehicle used for non-commercial carriage (not less that 25 years old on the day).

shep532:
f it’s over 7.5t then even for private use all EU Drivers Hours and Tachograph rules apply.

I agree no O licence or Driver CPC required.

Good spot mate, I missed the regs bit over 7.5t. :blush: