Gregory transport

Can anybody tell me if they ok to work for , pay on time etc etc

Ask Harry Monk, he pulls for them.

Harry Monk is your man, he subs for them still I think

Yep, can’t fault them, nice people to work with, money goes in on time, every time by BACS transfer, admittedly it is busier than usual at the moment but I’ve just done this week’s invoice and the truck grossed over £3,000 on about £1,200’s worth of diesel and I’ve had 11 hours off every night.

Harry was your gross Inc vat

GETTING:

No, ex-VAT. £3618 with the VAT.

The previous three weeks’ gross figures ex-VAT were £2435, £2268 and £2650, which are more average figures, this week I had one of those weeks where everything fell into place. Other weeks, everything might go wrong, on a bad week I will gross less than £2000, but generally there’s a reasonable living to be had at it although by no means a fortune.

I’m on ferry trailers between 2000/2400 no vat no trailer hire but my fuel is around 45% average 7.5.With you saying there good to work for got me thinking as your fuel usage is good for the gross

I’ve had mostly light loads this week so I’ve used less diesel, most of the work is near maximum weight, I average about 7.5 mpg over the long term, I probably did nearer 8.5 mpg this week, I haven’t worked it out yet. I do pay £100 a week for trailer hire.

There’s not a fortune in it by any means but it works out OK for me. I’m very risk-averse and they are 100% creditworthy so I don’t have to worry about them going bust owing me two months money, which would wipe me out. The money goes in on the first of the month, every time (it’s 30 days EOM terms)

They don’t mind when I go off doing my own work, they don’t mind when I am and am not available, if I want to be weekended somewhere other than base then they work around that- this weekend I’ll be on my boat which is at Rugby, so they are weekending me at Minworth.

I could possibly earn more elsewhere, I just don’t know. It suits me. Phone them up and have a chat, they won’t mind.

Thanks for the information Harry , I am looking at a few different companies and weighing up my options cus the containers work is not the best . I spoke to graham at Gregorys and he seemed ok . It’s something I would be looking at after Christmas so if I do go for it would be good to chat with you . Thanks

I wish there was more honesty like yours Harry. We must see every week a query from a wannabe asking advice, how to get work, costs, etc and all they do is get shot down in flames and told to stick to their uneventful £7.50 an hour cushy job.

Thanks for the transparency, I hope someone sets a permanent thread, updating sales, cost of sales, profit, etc etc, if there was one place to view your unexpected maintenance/repair bills, then it would help us all

Thanks again for your transparency.

That works if the customer (Gregorys in this case) dictates the price to the haulier (Harry)

What people wont publish is the rates they get when the haulier sets them, if im asked to set away with 3 drops around Inverness for example then i.m asked what the rate will be by the customer, if they accept it then i will do the job but theres no way i.m putting them on a public forum, if you think i.m being ignorant and non transparent then i.m sorry but thats the way it is

I really can’t quote either ,I do some really good sub contract work now & again and I let them tell me as it’s often more than what I’d ask for .

chaversdad:
That works if the customer (Gregorys in this case) dictates the price to the haulier (Harry)

What people wont publish is the rates they get when the haulier sets them, if im asked to set away with 3 drops around Inverness for example then i.m asked what the rate will be by the customer, if they accept it then i will do the job but theres no way i.m putting them on a public forum, if you think i.m being ignorant and non transparent then i.m sorry but thats the way it is

Yes, of course. I do some of my own work too and I wouldn’t post the rates I charge on the internet or say who that work is for. But Gregory’s will give examples of rates they offer to interested subbies who phone up, they aren’t a commercial secret.

thats the point i,m making Harry, you are giving away information that is readily available anyway but mattwood seems to think we should all publish who we work for and what rates we charge, i will try and help any newbie with anything i can but when it comes to money then i,m staying tight lipped,
When i started down the O/D route 15yrs ago there where no internet forums to seek advice or ask what rates to charge but we still seemed to manage ok :wink:

I’m not asking for your quotes, contacts or anything else, please don’t misunderstand me, I’m not asking to look in your bank account or anything else.
But when lads ask what they can and should be aiming for, the sales, cost of sales etc has no bearing on your actual rates, they see some firms with nice trucks and others with sheds and they must be scratching their heads asking how do I steer towards the former. That’s all.
It’s not rocket science to work costs, truck utility, mark up etc.
But there’s the unforeseen costs uv actually had that could help someone.
And that’s about the whole of my point.nothing more.

chaversdad:
i will try and help any newbie with anything i can

and i honestly will, but there are far too many new posts now with the “I want to be an O/D, where do i buy a truck, where do i get my work, how much should i charge” etc etc etc

If someones genuine (like you appear to be) then i wish you all the luck in the world and will answer any questions directed at me within reason , anyone who comes on here and asks how much they should charge to deliver a load from A to B deserves to fail imo

chaversdad:

chaversdad:
i will try and help any newbie with anything i can

and i honestly will, but there are far too many new posts now with the “I want to be an O/D, where do i buy a truck, where do i get my work, how much should i charge” etc etc etc

If someones genuine (like you appear to be) then i wish you all the luck in the world and will answer any questions directed at me within reason , anyone who comes on here and asks how much they should charge to deliver a load from A to B deserves to fail imo

+yes on that one, I would know to the pound how much to quote on a job if im to make any money…

All you lads on here need to chilli out , wot you all doing is normal but when the information is ready available wots the point of holding the cards to you chest , no one will given information about there contacts I.e customers . Good lucky to them who are doing well it’s hard.

Harry Monk:

GETTING:

No, ex-VAT. £3618 with the VAT.

The previous three weeks’ gross figures ex-VAT were £2435, £2268 and £2650, which are more average figures, this week I had one of those weeks where everything fell into place. Other weeks, everything might go wrong, on a bad week I will gross less than £2000, but generally there’s a reasonable living to be had at it although by no means a fortune.

Hi Harry,

If possible could you tell me how much fuel it cost “previous three weeks’ gross figures ex-VAT were £2435, £2268 and £2650” because you have said the you spent #1200 in relation to the 3000 ?

It’s not a problem if you don’t have the figures, I’m just interested as I run a couple of trucks over the water and it would be interesting to see the difference in costing.

Best Regards

JJSL
(Tony)

I wondered whether the £1200 was inc or +vat
Thanks in advance