Greetings

Hiya,

I am proud to say that I am on the path to driving excellence.

I was recently made redundant from working in I.T and decided that as I have always loved driving, I would do the work to become a HGV driver.

Spent a lot of time reading up on the web, and almost made the mistake of going with Clearstone, but decided to go for a local firm in Norwich.

Got the medical done and I now have my license back, theory test is booked for next tuesday. I am hoping that I can continue where I left off with my driving theory by getting full marks for this one.

Will keep you all updated as it goes, I am really looking forward to the future work in this industry.

kind regards

Jon

Welcome to TrucknetUK, Jon.

God result with (avoiding) Clearstone!! Did you get that info from reading-up on here??

Indeed I did!

I was already a bit concerned when the guy on the phone was trying to get me to max out my credit card with them before I was ready to commit to them.

So I did a fair bit of reading on here and came to the conclusion that they are basically taking my money for doing very little, better to give it direct to a local business.

Welcome Jon!

Good luck with everything! - I am waiting on my medical, so at the minute i have started with the theory revision and read just about every thread on this forum. It’s full of good advice so read as much as possible. All the peeps on here have all the experience you could ask for

I have spent many hours reading this site :smiley:

Its full of fantastic advice and stories.

Hi and welcome to Trucknet.

Keep us updated!

Failed on the hazard perception part of the test. Clearly I must be a danger to everyone else on the road. :frowning:

Hard luck mate! better luck next time

Dogmatix:
Failed on the hazard perception part of the test. Clearly I must be a danger to everyone else on the road. :frowning:

I think this is the hardest part of the whole process of becoming an HGV driver.

Whoever designed that test clearly hasn’t ever driven anything.

Andyroo:

Dogmatix:

I think this is the hardest part of the whole process of becoming an HGV driver.

OTBC mate, fellow yellow here :sunglasses: Lower Barclay all the way.

Yeah its very difficult really, you dont get the feel for the situation like you do when you are driving, judging by my test score I should have hit the car that pulled out in front of me on a roundabout the other night.

I was actually doing it to early as well, i could see well ahead that a lorry was going to turn out and that it would come out onto the other side of the road, so i clicked, way before anything major actually happened.

Dogmatix:
I was actually doing it to early as well, i could see well ahead that a lorry was going to turn out and that it would come out onto the other side of the road, so i clicked, way before anything major actually happened.

Takes advice, does not rush into things, plans ahead & anticipates very well (I can see that from what you quoted about the HPT) - this man is going to be an instructors dream - can I train you Please :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Welcome to the site and please give us some feedback from your training.

Dogmatix:

Andyroo:

Dogmatix:

OTBC mate, fellow yellow here :sunglasses: Lower Barclay all the way.

Yeah its very difficult really, you dont get the feel for the situation like you do when you are driving, judging by my test score I should have hit the car that pulled out in front of me on a roundabout the other night.

I just about passed my theory, got all the questions right… 35/35… but only passed the HP by the skin of my teeth. I’m still none the wiser about how and when you’re supposed to click.

Who are you training with?

Must admit I’m a bit of an lapsed football fan haven’t actually been to a game for years…I can’t really get too excited about the game anymore since it started to become big business…I still keep an eye on the results and show my colours though.

I actually drove into the ground yesterday though to deliver to where they have built the new hotel bit…I had to drop some paving slabs between there and The Barclay stand. Any closer and I’d have been on the pitch!

ive seen the test as for a cat B, however i did my C+E many years ago, so is there an hgv version of the test shown from the point of view of an hgv driver (ie high up well above all other traffic) or is it the same generic test from a cars window to test your perception of hazards. :confused: :confused:

ROG:
Takes advice, does not rush into things, plans ahead & anticipates very well (I can see that from what you quoted about the HPT) - this man is going to be an instructors dream - can I train you Please :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Welcome to the site and please give us some feedback from your training.

Maybe is you offer free training. :laughing:

Welcome to Trucknet Dogmatix, there seems to be loads of ex IT types taking up truck driving, maybe something to do with working on your own in front of a big screen and having no social life. :laughing:

Also another one from Norfolk, :smiley:

catclan:
ive seen the test as for a cat B, however i did my C+E many years ago, so is there an hgv version of the test shown from the point of view of an hgv driver (ie high up well above all other traffic) or is it the same generic test from a cars window to test your perception of hazards. :confused: :confused:

Same clips for car & lorry - daft aint it.
has bike got same HPT?

I have a major issue with HPT but it would take a very long post. I may go into it in the future.

I found the most off-putting bit was the view! It’s like looking down a tunnel! I was always taught to look as far ahead as I could, which you can’t with this type of test. :astonished:

I also have many issues with HPT and im guessing theyre probably pretty much all the same issues as every other experianced driver such as ur self rog. But what can ya do. :angry:

Again dave i agree there is no periferal which you would have in a real senario.

Thanks for all your kind words.

One day they might actually finish that hotel inbetween the stands, its a bit of an eyesore and I really dont understand why they didnt build it with seats incorporated into the side that faces the pitch.

57/60 on the questions so I passed that quite easily.

I guess I will have to put the dvd back in my machine to go through the HPT tests over and over again, until I learn what THEY want me to do rather than what would be best in the real world.

My father actually said to me this evening, that I am the best driver he has ever been in a car with for anticipating things that are going to happen. Hes the opposite, he anticipates things, but doesnt react :smiley:

I always tell him, expect the other drivers to do the most stupidest things and you cant go far wrong.

I am probably going to go with DTT in Norwich for my training, assuming I ever get past the HPT :smiley: