Green Stickers

Does anybody have a link to info about what the green stickers mean on the front of most euro trucks?

Cold Up North:
Does anybody have a link to info about what the green stickers mean on the front of most euro trucks?

No, but

I always wondered what the “V” meant, until I saw a “IV” on a green back plate, then it clicked, roman numerals of course! so “V” must be euro 5, or have I got that completely wrong :confused:

Cold Up North:

G in a green circle means quiet truck Not recognised in Austria

L in a green circle means fitted with Silent Kit = Larmarme or Larmshutz (Austria at night)

S in a green circle means Low Emissions

K in a green square means combination road/rail vehicle = Kombiverkehr

A as a black letter and white background on a rectangle front and rear means you are carrying waste, rubbish etc. = Abfall

chris:

Cold Up North:

No, but

I always wondered what the “V” meant, until I saw a “IV” on a green back plate, then it clicked, roman numerals of course! so “V” must be euro 5, or have I got that completely wrong :confused:

That would work alongside the green plate with an S on it

There is also H, E and U

What’s stopping you just sticking the stickers on and not bothering with the hush kits?

Cold Up North:
What’s stopping you just sticking the stickers on and not bothering with the hush kits?

i don’t think there’s any need. i had the same thought a while back, but it appears to be the same few nationalities that have these stickers on nowadays. i’ve never had any bother in austria for not having any stickers.

limeyphil:

Cold Up North:

i don’t think there’s any need. i had the same thought a while back, but it appears to be the same few nationalities that have these stickers on nowadays. i’ve never had any bother in austria for not having any stickers.

The Larmschutz L in a green circle is to show you have the proper hush kit fitted, which includes the tyres you are allowed to use. I don’t remember seeing the stickers for sale, although I could quite easily have overlooked them.
If you have the L sticker you are allowed to drive at a higher speed at night than a vehicle without the hush kit fitted, 60kmh instead of 30 I think. However, you are not allowed to overtake at night at all, hush kit fitted or not. So even though you’ve paid out for the hush kit, it does you very little good. It won’t take long to catch someone up and be stuck behind them.

Simon:
If you have the L sticker you are allowed to drive at a higher speed at night than a vehicle without the hush kit fitted, 60kmh instead of 30 I think. However, you are not allowed to overtake at night at all, hush kit fitted or not. So even though you’ve paid out for the hush kit, it does you very little good. It won’t take long to catch someone up and be stuck behind them.

Is this in regard all roads including Autobahns or just single roads? That seems a ridiculously low speed limit for any road, let alone a motorway etc.

Simon:

limeyphil:

Cold Up North:

The Larmschutz L in a green circle is to show you have the proper hush kit fitted, which includes the tyres you are allowed to use. I don’t remember seeing the stickers for sale, although I could quite easily have overlooked them.

It’s not actually a “sticker” it’s a metal plate that’s bolted to the front of the truck.

Ross.

bigr250:
It’s not actually a “sticker” it’s a metal plate that’s bolted to the front of the truck.

Ross.

The one on the front of my truck was a sticker, so they can be either.
I’ve also seen them printed on a white plastic disc, fitted the same way.

It’s a quietness thing. It applies over night only. It’s on autobahns and probably every other road.
It’s so the good burghers of Austria can get a good nights kip without noisy trucks hammering past their windows all night.
They don’t care that it’ll take you all night to transit Austria, you should be asleep in your bunk anyway as far as they’re concerned.

Simon:
It’s a quietness thing. It applies over night only. It’s on autobahns and probably every other road.
It’s so the good burghers of Austria can get a good nights kip without noisy trucks hammering past their windows all night.
They don’t care that it’ll take you all night to transit Austria, you should be asleep in your bunk anyway as far as they’re concerned.

Almost all non Autobahn roads in Austria have restrictions for trucks to keep the nasty metal boxes off the rural roads.

These days, it is usually Eastern block motors that are stickered up, to allow Bogdan and Bogdan on their double manned odyssey through Europe to transit Austria at night at the giddying maximum speed of 60kmh.

The rest of us are indeed tucked up in our bunks :wink: