Great Yarmouth Outer Harbour at Last

According to the Eastern Daily Press website “EDP24” the government has agreed at last to back the outer harbour project in great yarmouth. This has been on the drawing board for as long as i can remember. As Daxi stated in a diferent thread a few days ago yarmouth has one of the highest rates of unemployed in the country. I was told some time ago and i dont know if its true, but that if 1 of the Stena HSS super ferries was to use the outer harbour it is feesable to make 7 crossings in 2 days to Holland. Well in a couple of years there ought to be a lot more work in yarmouth than there is at the moment.

Trouble is,the HSS can’t take that much freight on board and the road links to Yarmouth aren’t the best in East Anglia.
Isn’t that why Norfolk Line pulled out?

I won’t actually believe it until I see the boats unloading in the harbour. :smiley: still got opposition from ABP at Lowersoft and Kings Lynn.

Norfolk Line pulled out because the existing Harbour can’t handle the bigger ferry’s that came into service in the 1980’s and they couldn’t wait any longer for the outer harbour, (that’s how long it’s been on the drawing board)

The road links to the North are a problem A47, A17 but most of the route to the midlands and South is Dualled and other bits are in the planing stage including A11 Attlebrough, A 47 Burlingham that just leaves the Acle Straight and Thetford to Barton mills. about 20 miles in total.

The advantage to operators of using Yarmouth is that the Crossing to the Netherlands is over an hour Shorter than from Felixstowe, also the rumour is that Felixstowe would like to lose the Ro-Ro trailers as each trailer take the space of 8 containers and the HSS has to slow down early on it’s way into Harwich because of the waves it causes in the Estuary, so not only is the crossing shorter, but the boat can stay at cruising speed for longer.

KW:
Trouble is,the HSS can’t take that much freight on board and the road links to Yarmouth aren’t the best in East Anglia.
Isn’t that why Norfolk Line pulled out?

As i understand it Mearsk signaled there support for the outer harbour quiete a few years ago, with not only an understanding for the return of Norfolk Line but also looking to use it for some container operations aswell. Yes Felixstowe has a long term plan to go to container operations exclusivly and the only roro services left there are Norfolk Line and Finaglia, but with Ipswich putting in a new roro birth and whats going to happen at Yarmouth they maybe rid of roro very soon. ABP at Lowestoft haent had any scheduled freight services for about a year or more now, and are concentrating there east anglian efforts at Ipswich or so it would seem.

Without upgrading the roads its a total waste of money.
there are basiclly two ways into Yarmouth through Lowerstoft & along the Acle straight, neither are up to the amount of traffic being suggested.
It’s going to make the Millenium Dome look like money well spent.

Well Daxi it may, hopefully, put the boot up some derrieres and get the A47 dualled all the way like it should be. Not only would it be good for Yarmouth but it would open up Norwich to a lot of people that must be frightened away with the A47 as it is now.

At last huh.

Brown and Root offered to pay for and build this over 20 years ago, but the council members rejected it because they’re all hotel owners and thought it would affect their trade. :imp:

So Brown and Root pulled out of Yarmouth as well.

daxi:
Without upgrading the roads its a total waste of money.
there are basiclly two ways into Yarmouth through Lowerstoft & along the Acle straight, neither are up to the amount of traffic being suggested.
It’s going to make the Millenium Dome look like money well spent.

You ever been down to Pembroke or even Harwich both are single carriageway for the last few miles. The road network might not be good, but for the frieght operators this is made up for by the money saved in reduced crossing times. As I’ve already said the last few bit of single carriageway onto the A14 are in he process of being dualed or the plans are there, the extra frieght might be what finally gets the Acle Striaght dualed. Although they keep telling the tree huggers that the frieght will be moved by rail. :laughing:

KW:
Trouble is,the HSS can’t take that much freight on board

Also doesn’t the Vomit Comet (HSS) have to park up when the seas get rough, when the ferries can handle the rougher seas better?

Ho hum… yet more things to chew up the old A47… We’ll start with construction traffic. All those sensibly and sedately driven mixers and tippers will no doubt enhance travel prospects about “Great” Yarmouth. :laughing: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Would be nice to be able to run to parts foreign in the motor from Norwich without heading west of Lynn :stuck_out_tongue:

allikat:
Ho hum…

If thats what you get for being in the USA for a few months I am not letting my Son go there on holiday!!

Whats so Great about great yarmouth anyway…dont spend any money up there…bring the ro-ro to london…i say…and enjoy a much prettier view as the ships sail down the thames to the estuary…and be waved off by so many nationalities that you would think you were in another part of the world… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
have a nice day

truckyboy:
Whats so Great about great yarmouth anyway…dont spend any money up there…bring the ro-ro to london…i say…and enjoy a much prettier view as the ships sail down the thames to the estuary…and be waved off by so many nationalities that you would think you were in another part of the world… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
have a nice day

It’s Greater than the one on the Isle of Wight.

It’s just a re-named extention of Gorleston on a sandbank really. :wink:

I always preferred Gorleston myself anyway. Nicer, quieter, and easier to park in :stuck_out_tongue:

Andyroo:
At last huh.

Brown and Root offered to pay for and build this over 20 years ago, but the council members rejected it because they’re all hotel owners and thought it would affect their trade. :imp:

So Brown and Root pulled out of Yarmouth as well.

Agreed, but the government can overrule local coucils on planning matters that are of a wider public or national intrest, and at last they’ve decided to take hold of it, so if the borough council want to see Great Yarmouth prosper then they will get on with assisting the project, and if they dont the government will just push it thruogh anyway.