Great driving assessment with Peter Smythe Training

Well I had a C driving assessment yesterday with Dave Hedison from Peter Smythe Transport Training in Peterborough and it went really well. I had a bad experience on an assessment with another company so I was a bit nervous. It was a manual 4 over 4 range change gearbox which I was a bit worried about but with Dave’s tuition I pretty much mastered it. He was relaxed, patient and very encouraging which put me at ease. I just need to adjust my speed on the approach to roundabouts/junctions and be in the right gear at the right time (I drive an auto 7.5 ton part time at the moment so don’t have to think about gears) but hopefully I will master this during the training. I had decided to take my test in an auto but Dave reckoned I would be fine in a manual so I need to decide which. If the instructors at Mansfield are all as patient and relaxed as Dave I think I will get on ok! :grimacing: Thanks Dave and thanks Pete for arranging it :slight_smile:

Hi Sammy
Thanks for your kind comments, you did a great drive and I wish you every success, you’ll do just fine.

Cheers
David

Glad you enjoyed it!

Dave is a great teacher and really easy to get on with, he got me through both my tests :slight_smile:

I passed my C with the gang in Mansfield. I’ve got my Class 1 assessment tomorrow!

clubadria:
Hi Sammy
Thanks for your kind comments, you did a great drive and I wish you every success, you’ll do just fine.

Cheers
David

Thanks David, I was a bit apprehensive after my first assessment with you know who! but it was a much better drive with you. I am saving madly and hope to have enough to start my training in the summer holidays :smiley:

You would be better off learning in a manual vehicle as this could pay dividends in the future. The number of drivers I meet nowadays who are stumped when given a manual gearbox to drive. I’ve even witnessed drivers walking off of jobs because they have never driven a manual before.
Manuals a few and far between nowadays but being able to drive one will certainly be one less thing for you to worry about once you hit the heavies.

Thats great Sammy :smiley: I loved every minute of the training at PSTT Mansfield. The whole set up there is friendly and very proffesional and cant wait to get back there to do c+e and cpc tbh.
good luck with it all
Dan

Truckbling:
You would be better off learning in a manual vehicle as this could pay dividends in the future. The number of drivers I meet nowadays who are stumped when given a manual gearbox to drive. I’ve even witnessed drivers walking off of jobs because they have never driven a manual before.

really? :open_mouth: when i took my test late '79,i had to drive the lorry as if it was a ‘crash’ box,though it wasn’t.

carryfast-yeti:

Truckbling:

really? :open_mouth: when i took my test late '79,i had to drive the lorry as if it was a ‘crash’ box,though it wasn’t.

and your point is?

Truckbling:

carryfast-yeti:

Truckbling:

and your point is?

my point? i was trained by a professional outfit J Coates of Leicester,to handle a lorry with a crash 'box,in case at some stage i had to drive one.surely a decent LGV trainer would instruct a learner how to change gears? i can’t believe a pro driver would walk off a job because he had to use a gearbox :open_mouth: didn’t they have a car with gears ffs when i started out we had all sorts of gearboxes to contend with…DB’s,Fullers,9 speeders 16 speeders 2-speed axles range-changes etc etc…we just got on with the job.

Passed my class 1 n 2 at mansfield my instructors was mick and chris both great guys !

i was trained by a professional outfit J Coates of Leicester,to handle a lorry with a crash 'box,in case at some stage i had to drive one.surely a decent LGV trainer would instruct a learner how to change gears? i can’t believe a pro driver would walk off a job because he had to use a gearbox :open_mouth: didn’t they have a car with gears ffs when i started out we had all sorts of gearboxes to contend with…DB’s,Fullers,9 speeders 16 speeders 2-speed axles range-changes etc etc…we just got on with the job.

This subject has been well discussed previously. Firstly, we are one of the few trainers offering the choice of 8 speed or auto. The rules for tests change from time to time. Until 2005 we were happily using straight 6 boxes and no-one had any issue moving to range change, splitter etc. Indeed, nobody ever showed me, told me or taught me how to use such things. Then the DSA decided, in their wisdom, to say that training vehicles had to have at least 8 forward gears. And also decided that a 6 speed split would be acceptable. No requirement to use the splitter BTW. We invested hundreds of thousands of pounds (literally) in new, 8 speed vehicles. Then last year the DSA decided that things had moved on in the industry so now there is no set requirement for a particular number of gears. So auto became acceptable.

My point is simple. Up till 10 years ago, folks used to jump into a 6 speed training vehicle and have no problems (generally). Then progressed to whatever they were presented with in the real world. So there really isn’t a terrific problem with training on auto - which is fast becoming the industry norm - and then progressing to work.

The conversation is often started by experienced drivers regarding learning on auto and how it’s all wrong and we’re turning out drivers who cant change gear. Ask them who taught them to use a particular gearbox and it’s normally a matter of they sorted it out themselves - same as I did.

Are we now assuming that the latest generation of candidates are stupid and thick? I sincerely hope not because that would be hopelessly wrong. Give people credit for being able to think a bit without having to be taught every last move.

As for walking off the job - - these people have always been about and have clearly got themselves into the wrong career.

We continue to offer the choice of manual or auto. And to take folks out on a manual for an hour having passed on auto. Take up rate for this - zero!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ok Pete…don’t read all the threads so thanks for clearing a few things up :slight_smile: i’m on an auto (Daf) now,for the first time since passing my test.

carryfast-yeti:
my point? i was trained by a professional outfit J Coates of Leicester,to handle a lorry with a crash 'box,in case at some stage i had to drive one.surely a decent LGV trainer would instruct a learner how to change gears? i can’t believe a pro driver would walk off a job because he had to use a gearbox :open_mouth: didn’t they have a car with gears ffs when i started out we had all sorts of gearboxes to contend with…DB’s,Fullers,9 speeders 16 speeders 2-speed axles range-changes etc etc…we just got on with the job.

I do not have the answer to your question, merely that I have witnessed it on about 7 or 8 occasions now. A certain breed or era of driver do not have a clue when it comes to range change or knock through boxes. God forbid they get an Eaton twin, I would get my camera out for that one.

My point is that the same number of people had no clue about range changes, splitters or Eaton twin splitters when they passed up to 10 years ago. But they coped perfectly well (will odd exceptions) and now that many trucks are auto, it’s simply a matter of keeping up with the times.

But, as I always say, we’re perfectly happy to train on an 8 speed if anyone wants to do that. I think our fleet is about 50-50 manual/auto so we have the 8 speeds in use all the time.

Also, if anyone wants to go out on 8 speed having passed on auto, happy to oblige.

Cant do much more really.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: