grease nipples

does anyone rember how many ■■■■■■■ on foden haulmaster 8 wheeler tipper
greased themmany times as a younger man just carnt remember

And there was me hoping for a nice picture of Olivia Newton John with her bristols out.

Oh Tippertom…
Would i be a rich man,for every time you dobbed a bit of grease on an,“Errant?” ■■■■■■,so that it looked to have been greased ? There was a ■■■■■■ on the F10 Gearbox,a proper B*****d,but,“Sinner” had eyes like a S…oOOOPS TOILET rat,so you made sure it had its share of grease. One,(Only ONE ?) of his sayings. “I don’t want you to breakdown monday,for some silly job that could haVE BEEN DONE TODAY. Then one of the following,” You varmint/sinner/blighter etc, good old boy that he was,i only heard him swear once,when i was delayed doing a, ( avert your ears if you are sensative)… POXY POTTON !!!
Again… HAPPY DAYS !
hulltramper

tippertom:
does anyone rember how many ■■■■■■■ on foden haulmaster 8 wheeler tipper
greased themmany times as a younger man just carnt remember

A hell of a lot if it was steel rear suspension, just a lot if it was rubber! :slight_smile:

Pete.

If I remember o.k. about 60. :unamused: :confused: :open_mouth:

Leylands had flat hexigon shaped grease ■■■■■■■

ianto:

So they did ianto! the gun had a sort of u shaped ■■■■■■ and you slid it on sideways - a bit like Stupot’s avatar!

John

Not as many as a Reiver or Bison with the four spring suspension I bet,my Hino’s got a fair few but fitted with self lube system, the Volvo only one ■■■■■■ (relay drop arm) plus tipping ram & hinge bracket another 8 :wink:

ianto:

Tecalamit TAT connectors,still got a few & the grease gun head in my container somewhere(got to have a sort out retiring soon :cry:)

splitshift:

ianto:

Tecalamit TAT connectors,still got a few & the grease gun head in my container somewhere(got to have a sort out retiring soon :cry:)

Foden used them as well, I suppose most of the heavier brigade did. The average eight legger Haulmaster would have three ■■■■■■■ on the steering shaft, one on the clutch pedal pivot, seven on the propshafts, eight on the slack adjusters, eight on the brake cams, eight on the kingpins, twelve on the front springs, fourteen on the steel rear suspension, two on the clutch X shaft, one on the Lipe clutch bearing, two on tipper ram pivots, two on ram brackets, two on tipper bar, four on the trackrod ends, approximately six on the tie rod ends. The later Paccar models used a lot of sealed for life joints which eased it a little, plus they had rubber suspension! Plus, with a Gardner engine, one on the fan bearing and a Stauffer on the waterpump. Eighty two, give or take a couple!

Pete.

about the same as the 8 wheeler atki had pete , but we never greased the drag link or the rear of the front springs as they were always dripping with oil from mr gardner’s self lube system . why did the prop shaft ■■■■■■■ always end up on top when you stopped ? cheers , dave

rigsby:
about the same as the 8 wheeler atki had pete , but we never greased the drag link or the rear of the front springs as they were always dripping with oil from mr gardner’s self lube system . why did the prop shaft ■■■■■■■ always end up on top when you stopped ? cheers , dave

Speaking of 8 wheelers, The Fodens used to take a lot of grease having the hollow shackle pins on the rear , Happy days Eh, Regards Larry.

petes about right had it in my head 86 did them many times as a fitter for the great
wimpey co drivers aint got a clue these days all that greasing wheel changing oil checking helping
the fitter are long gone pity

Why did the grease gun always run out when you were lying between the two rear axles? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cav551:
Why did the grease gun always run out when you were lying between the two rear axles? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You are so right there! At the last firm I worked for there was a bucket greaser and it was blooming awkward squeezing the bucket and Myself between the axles only to find that the sodding bucket was low on grease and wouldn’t pick up until you took the top off and gave it a stir! :unamused: All of Tilcon’s had autolube of various types (oil and grease) so not a lot of hand greasing to do, as Larry said Fodens had large hollow rear shackle and balance bean pins and oil just trickled into the bottom of them and did now’t really so we put T pieces in so that we could grease them as well otherwise they were worn out at each MOT. One advantage of hand greasing I suppose was that you spotted faults that otherwise might be missed on inspection.

Pete.

I remember working on trucks that had a small cup on the clutch shaft that you had to screw out and fill it with grease and screw it back in. I think it was three times per service, but i can’t remember if it was Volvo or Leyland!!! I’d rather forget anyway…

There was always a debate about greasing a VGB coupling, I never did and was pulled up on it at an MOT I told the inspector to ask Billows about it ( the UK agent ) but he failed me anyway saying it would cause undue ware… I never understood how he could fail me for something that might happen in the future… Before I went back the next time I slapped a bit of grease in the mouth, and the old ba*&(rd was happy enough with that… It got taken back out as soon as I got back to the yard… and given it’s usual squirt of WD 40 until next year…

Jeff…