Gravel pyramids a1/m62 split

We’re the a1 meets the m62 nbound, just off the carriageway their are a number of gravel pyramids, why?what who?.. Thanks

I can nearly see them from where I live and I’ve often wondered myself.

Maybe there supposed to divert your eyes from the beautiful lookin power station on the other side.:open_mouth:

Often pondered that one myself.

Don’t know how far true it is :confused: but i heard when digging they found some ancient artifacts and the pyramids are there as a marker

tinytrucker77:
Don’t know how far true it is :confused: but i heard when digging they found some ancient artifacts and the pyramids are there as a marker

Should I take my metal detector next time in near!

tinytrucker77:

Wilkinsons’ trailers?

tinytrucker77:

There might be some truth in that, when they started excavation for the new bridges that form part of the new intersection, local archeology groups were invited in first as there was some sort of ancient burial ground near to the power station

May be they were planning an escape lane .

Thereal-john:
why?what who?.. Thanks

Lol, was thinking the exact same thing last night when I went past :laughing:

tinytrucker77:

True :slight_smile:

geograph.org.uk/photo/234653

I remember when you had to slow right down on the A1 to get over the old bridge over the river Aire (now pedestrian only)

Santa:
I remember when you had to slow right down on the A1 to get over the old bridge over the river Aire (now pedestrian only)

Whaaaaat■■? That was the old A1■■? Must of taken hours and hours!!

Santa:

Santa, I remember that too. Levy land mastif days. :laughing: :laughing:

That must have been in the early 1960s. The A1 that bypassed Ferrybridge and itself bypassed was opened in about 1963 or 4.
That bridge was opened in 1804, me and my kids go over it on our bikes in the summer.

mick.mh2racing:
That must have been in the early 1960s. The A1 that bypassed Ferrybridge and itself bypassed was opened in about 1963 or 4.
That bridge was opened in 1804, me and my kids go over it on our bikes in the summer.

Bit off topic Mick, but do you know Ian Roebuck?

Very interesting post, both the info on the pyramids and the old a1.

FarnboroughBoy11:
Whaaaaat■■? That was the old A1■■? Must of taken hours and hours!!

It certainly did - We had to drive through places like Baldock and Biggleswade; Stamford was always a hold-up as was Doncaster - on a race day it could take hours just to get through. Most of it wasn’t even dualled.

The bridge at Stanford: Could you imagine being on that narrow pavement while a constant stream of fume-belching trucks rumbled past?

the maoster:

mick.mh2racing:

No sorry I don’t. I live in Pontefract but nearer to Ferrybridge than Pontefract

mick.mh2racing:

the maoster:

mick.mh2racing:

No sorry I don’t. I live in Pontefract but nearer to Ferrybridge than Pontefract

No worries mate. He’s a ponty lad I used to race with but I’ve lost his number.

Race? As in motorbikes? Did a bit of that myself.