GRANTHAM

Hi guys.
Easy one for you lot.
I’m about to start a fixed round robin route which takes me through Grantham towards Nottingham A52.
I have a 16’2 d/d.
From memory there’s loads of low bridges in Grantham.
Can anyone take me legally from the test centre(from Donington) to the A1/A52 road or suggest a legal alternative.
Regards.

Hi Yes go into grantham on A52 passed the barracks down the hill traffic lights turn right into grantham town center follow outer loop DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO GO UNDER THE RAILWAY BRIDGES go out of grantham on the 1174 ( bridge is over 16ft ) towards gonerby moor get on the A1 south then turn on to the A52 Nottm…
Or go towards grantham on A52 get to traffic lights turn left up the hill a1 south make a flyover crossing at easton or colsterworth going north on A1 band pick up the A52 for Nottm
hopefully there will be less problems when they complete the new junction with the A1 from the 1174 south of grantham

If you run out of time in Grantham, there’s a nice lady that provides steak dinners on a Friday,to poor Truck drivers. As her husband prefers Ginsters and Fanta, in Laybys.

To add a twist to the story, due to the constant bridge bashing two of the roads under the worst effected bridges are closed till December to allow for repairs and refurbishment

Cheers guys thanks for all the info.
Especially about the lady and lay bys.

I can vouch for the steak night lady , cracking onion rings and mushrooms but only Friday nights if ran out of duty or driving time with a pick up from the lay by .
You even get your back scrubbed in the shower after a hard day at the wheel , if you see a green Scania pull up Saturday morning , just run out the back door fast .

Notimetoulouse:
go out of grantham on the 1174 ( bridge is over 16ft )

It’s clearly marked…

At 16’ 0".

Just sayin’ like.

yourhavingalarf:

Notimetoulouse:

It’s clearly marked…

At 16’ 0".

Just sayin’ like.

Yes it is 16.0 so i would think twice putting a 16.2 trailer underneath, or the photo may end up on here :laughing:

elsa Lad:

yourhavingalarf:

Notimetoulouse:

It’s clearly marked…

At 16’ 0".

Just sayin’ like.

Yes it is 16.0 so i would think twice putting a 16.2 trailer underneath, or the photo may end up on here :laughing:

one of the clown’s from our stoke depot tried it with a decker…and failed :laughing:

Wheres Dozy when somebody needs local assistance, must be having a lay in as he does not like work on a Saturday

So,the definitive answer is to turn left at MacDonalds lights down to colsterworth and double back up A1?

Last time I went in there I went that way albeit in the opposite direction, going south on the A1 coming off just before Colsterworth, over the bridge & doubling back up the A1 to the A52 and came into Grantham that way

Jonnypistol:
So,the definitive answer is to turn left at MacDonalds lights down to colsterworth and double back up A1?

Yep…

That way avoids all the brown stuff.

peirre:
Last time I went in there I went that way albeit in the opposite direction, going south on the A1 coming off just before Colsterworth, over the bridge & doubling back up the A1 to the A52 and came into Grantham that way

+1.

Obviously if you wanna head for Nottingham on the A52 just stay northbound on the A1.

Jonnypistol:

Yup.

biggriffin:

Jonnypistol:

Yup.

It’s a bit of a trek but it is the only way. Don’t chuck a u-turn through the central reservation at Ponton as soon as you’re on the A1 as the back of the trailer will swing out into the outside lane of the s/b carriageway - there’s been a few accidents with folk pulling that stunt there.