Grantham,low bridges

plenty to choose from.pity that a decker hit the one i wanted to go through today,the 15 footer on Harlaxton Road :frowning: caused chaos in the area

I went under a 13ft 6 bridge other day with a 8 ton digger on my truck was about 4 inch off it arse nipped a bit

Three of the bridges in Grantham are in the list of top ten most struck bridges in Britain. Makes ya proud to drive a lorry doesn’t it! :blush:

Driving a standard (?) fridge (all of which don’t have height markings), chatting to lads with a ■■■■ sight more experience than me they said the asda roundabout one was doable but I always bottled it. Every time, A1 south to 607 then up past Irlams old yard to that one near where F&N removals used to be. Mind you, that split arse turn at the crossroads with tollemache on it has suffered many a time with trailer overhangs against that tree, coupled with those railings and parked cars outside the takeaways next to the junction. Guess Grantham is a trucker’s krypton factor! I give it 12 months before a nimby weight limit is slapped across the whole lot regardless of diversion routes. Mind you Grantham might not be ‘gentrified’ enough yet for nimbys.

bigtanker198:
I went under a 13ft 6 bridge other day with a 8 ton digger on my truck was about 4 inch off it arse nipped a bit

I’ve been under that with 14ft!

Must of been dam close?

Rutland Water is probably the closest dam…

The one at Asda is 14’3" I think, anyways were at 13’9" and never had a problem, just avoid the 11’ one near Mc Donnalds lol

Edit - as for the Nimbies, they are planning to build a Grantham bypass in the future, no more bird watching in the town centre :frowning:

Sumsmeister:
Rutland Water is probably the closest dam…

I sea what you’ve done there.

Saw a Globetrotter XL go under the 11’6 near McD’s. Waited for the bang…and nothing happened. I don’t fancy testing how high it really is though!

Yeah I suppose you’re right there. I always bottled it cos at 13-9 you’ve only a handwidth and a half to 14-3 (can’t remember what height it is). Used to think if you hit a bump or braked hard and load transfer caused leading edge of trailer to be raised etc you could come close. But, looking at the regs it does say no vehicle over that height, so technically at 14-3 you’re alright. They’ve probably thought of those things I mentioned. I hope!

Freight Dog:
Yeah I suppose you’re right there. I always bottled it cos at 13-9 you’ve only a handwidth and a half to 14-3 (can’t remember what height it is). Used to think if you hit a bump or braked hard and load transfer caused leading edge of trailer to be raised etc you could come close. But, looking at the regs it does say no vehicle over that height, so technically at 14-3 you’re alright. They’ve probably thought of those things I mentioned. I hope!

Dunno about any allowances they do or do not put in, all I know is if the sign says I can go under then I’ll go under, the 13’9" on the south circular, I go under that too lol, heads out the window every time though and doing <5mph

NewLad:
The one at Asda is 14’3" I think, anyways were at 13’9" and never had a problem, just avoid the 11’ one near Mc Donnalds lol

Edit - as for the Nimbies, they are planning to build a Grantham bypass in the future, no more bird watching in the town centre :frowning:

i do a delivery and a collection in the town,so will be able to carry on bird watching!

according to a decker driver,the 16’ bridge near Moy Park,IS 16’…their 16’ 1 " trailers won’t go under (safely :slight_smile: )