Grandfather rights

Asking for a friend he’s just going for his class 1 he’s 50 and had car license since late 80’s.
Now when I passed mine back in 2011 obviously had to do the class 2 and then class 1 route, but I seem to recall been able to go straight into driving as an employee, without doing any thing extra through having grandfather’s rights, was this an age related thing I was 40 at the time.
I’ve done a search on here and couldn’t really make head not tail of what I found and was hoping for a more direct answer to my specific question.

Essentially existing truck drivers (including those with C1 or 7.5 tonne) were treated as being CPC qualified for five years after 2009. They had five years to do 35 hours and only actually needed a CPC card (DQC) from September 2014.

Noremac:
Essentially existing truck drivers (including those with C1 or 7.5 tonne) were treated as being CPC qualified for five years after 2009. They had five years to do 35 hours and only actually needed a CPC card (DQC) from September 2014.

Oh great thanks for that, that clears it up and makes sense why my cpc card was dated 2014 as I couldn’t work out why it was 2014 but thanks to you it’s made everything clear
Many thanks Ed.

So not sure on his training school what’s he need to do now as best option for gaining full cpc so ready to go once passed.

He has the option essentially, assuming he hasn’t actually held a lorry CPC card at any point before.

So, to be clear, initial CPC or 35 hours. The tell-tale sign of being able to do 35 hours is the category C1 on the licence. If held since the 80s without ever having lost the licence at any point more than likely the case.