Grandfather Rights

I know this has been done before but just wanna make sure.

Speaking to a driver in work today he told me he’s got a class 2 but can drive Wagon and Drags on grandfather rights now my understanding is that you can only tow up to 750kgs without a trailer entitlement which on class 2 “C” would give you a class 1 or C+E anyway, which he doesn’t have so surely he’d be limited to just the 750kgs?? just after a bit of clarification really as in my mind he’d be needing a class 1 licence to drive a wagon and Drag nowadays?

RB84:
I know this has been done before but just wanna make sure.

Speaking to a driver in work today he told me he’s got a class 2 but can drive Wagon and Drags on grandfather rights now my understanding is that you can only tow up to 750kgs without a trailer entitlement which on class 2 “C” would give you a class 1 or C+E anyway, which he doesn’t have so surely he’d be limited to just the 750kgs?? just after a bit of clarification really as in my mind he’d be needing a class 1 licence to drive a wagon and Drag nowadays?

I believe if you passed class 2 or the old 3 pre 1992 you got wagon and drag but not arctic. It carried over in the same way C1 does for those who passed car test pre 1997.

Much as above really. If you passed the old style class 2 or 3 it entitled you to tow a drawbar. When the categories changed to C & CE a code 102 was put on the licence meaning CE but limited to drawbar, not artic. The strange thing is with. 102 you can take a test in a drawbar to remove the drawbar restriction

One of those oddities

Thanks you learn something everyday! With all the differing Licence changes new rules etc you can easily get muddled up, not hard for me mind :laughing: