Grandfather rights

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Not posted before.
Please can someone help me out on this one.
I have C1 entitlement on my ordinary licence , have had for about 25 years
Have used it on and off during my working career, but usually ended up driving vans.
I did not do the CPC training by the deadline, and booked up for a course to do the 35 hours in one week,in a couple of weeks time
I have just been told by a friend (LGV1 driver) that i have to take a medical as i am now 60, is this correct??
I have not had any notification about this from anyone. My digi tacho ran out about a year or so ago, before i was 60, was going to renew it as well.
Would this be why i didnt get any notification.
Can someone please clarify. Thank You

bostonstranger:
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Not posted before.
Please can someone help me out on this one.
I have C1 entitlement on my ordinary licence , have had for about 25 years
Have used it on and off during my working career, but usually ended up driving vans.
I did not do the CPC training by the deadline, and booked up for a course to do the 35 hours in one week,in a couple of weeks time
I have just been told by a friend (LGV1 driver) that i have to take a medical as i am now 60, is this correct??
I have not had any notification about this from anyone. My digi tacho ran out about a year or so ago, before i was 60, was going to renew it as well.
Would this be why i didnt get any notification.
Can someone please clarify. Thank You

You have a choice for your first DQC - do the two pass/fail initial tests or the attendance 35 hours

What is the expiry date next to cat C on your licence :question:
What is the expiry date next to 4b on the front of your licence :question:
When did you last have a licence issued to you by DVLA :question:

Thanks for looking

Next to cat C is 2025
Next to 4b is 14/5/20
Last Issued 15/6/10

Thanks

Just wanted to say, I have to pay for the CPC 35 hour course tomorrow, and Im in a bit of a quandry.
If I pay for the training and then find I need a medical, and maybe fail it, i have wasted the money for the training
which then i would not need.
So if i do need a medical i would rather cancel the training till I pass the medical, if that makes sense :confused:
Thanks

From the dates you have listed YOU DO NOT NEED A MEDICAL

The C1 usually expires on your 70th birthday.

If you have a higher category - I.e C then this will expire every 5 years from 45 years old

All you need to go off is the expiry date next to each category on the back of your licence.

You’ll need to renew your licence photo in 2020.

You’ll need a medical to renew cat C1 entitlement in 2025 and every year after that.

bostonstranger:
Thanks for looking

Next to cat C is 2025
Next to 4b is 14/5/20
Last Issued 15/6/10

Thanks

2025 is that for C1 or C :question: - bet its C1 as that is the same as B

C1 LGV gained free before 1997 has the same expiry date as B

D4 medical needed to keep pre 97 C1 at age 70 which gives you 3 years more to age 73 - not 1 year as many think

Its an oddity because those who got just C1 via a test after 97 will need D4 medicals yearly from age 65

Yes it is C1 sorry .
Ok so ill go clutching my money to pay for the CPC course tomorrow then.
Can you think of anything else that might bite me in the bottom ?

ROG:
D4 medical needed to keep pre 97 C1 at age 70 which gives you 3 years more to age 73 - not 1 year as many think

Its an oddity because those who got just C1 via a test after 97 will need D4 medicals yearly from age 65

I haven’t found the exact regulation yet but it appears you’re right about that, good one :smiley:

Would just like to say thanks for all your help. You know your stuff :slight_smile: