Grain tipping advice needed

hi all, after getting the news on monday i was to be made redundant from my tipping job (quarrys) ive managed to land a new job today which will be mainly bulk tipping grain, wheat etc. Ive got plenty of tipping experience but one thing ive never had anything to do with is grain. not sure on the procedure for tipping it to be honest except that its tipped through the grain hatch! the new boss is aware of this and im sure training will be given but id like to get the general gist of it before i start work there so i dont look like a complete novice! so any advice,tips or just an idiots guide to tipping grain would be appreciated :smiley:

Big problem is seepage through the tailgate - especially if it’s a bit knocked about. Get a big dob of grease off the spring shackles (if air suspension, find some where you can - maybe 5th wheel if artic) and seal round the tailgate. Messy but works.

Cover up well. I know you will in this weather, but grain gets everywhere and makes you itch like mad.

Make sure you’re well sheeted before you go anywhere. Grain flies like you wouldn’t believe!

You now know more than I did when I started - so good luck with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

generally there will be a sock that attaches to the grain hatch and you will tip into a hopper about a foot off the ground, someplaces it will just look like a big drain in the ground. some people think working the hatch up and down makes you tip quicker, as it allows constant flow, others say just open it up and let the belts underground do it. if you have done tipper work before it’l be easy, like said before just sheet up, and expect a 40 to 60 mins wait as it empties, and even longer at harvest time when you are in a queue for ages at the grain driers!

Here’s what I learnt from being a newbee at grain tipping. First time I tipped it took me about 6 shunts to get in between the side bars, was a 90o turn and was only third time I’d been in an artic, but was a poor performance. :unamused: Finally backed up to grid and was a bit short, it was a raised concrete grid and I thought I would damage mudgaurds if I backed right up to it. Fitted sock, raised trailer a bit, and then opened hatch, out poured the grain and then you start to needlessly panic!!! Is it coming out too fast, am I gonna block the auger, is it stuck in the body, have I raised it too high, how much is left before I open back door? In the end about half a ton had spilled on the floor cos I wasn’t far enough back. Obviously I’d taken far too long as an foreman asked if I’d finished and that I had caused a queue, and he said get going I’ll sweep up. :blush:
Since then I have learn’t that if the sock is on the floor it doesn’t flood the grid too much.
Don’t wind the hatch all the way up as it comes off the cogs and you then can’t get it down and have to control flow with the tip angle :unamused:
If there’s another driver ask for tips from him, or watch how he does it.

Particularly at this time of year, keep the load dry- you really don’t want to be blamed for a rejected load.
And if you can still get hold of a few hessian sacks, they will be invaluable for sealing a dodgy tailgate.

cheers for the advice guys much appreciated. sure i will be fine, looking forward to it now. i start on monday. been away from nights out for years but now im living alone im looking forward to getting down the road :slight_smile: