grab truck

Hi im wondering what i need to put a grab lorry on the road regarding o licence, will i need a cpc holder and is there anything i would need to consider except the obvious ie truck,insurance, maintenance contract, adequate parking

Is it for hire and reward,is it for your own buisness ie are you a builder who needs a grab

Public liability insurance

Own business mate

I stand to be corrected but if your only moving your own stuff and not a delivery service or uplift service then its a restricted o license

adam1987:
Hi im wondering what i need to put a grab lorry on the road regarding o licence, will i need a cpc holder and is there anything i would need to consider except the obvious ie truck,insurance, maintenance contract, adequate parking

Hi a bit late but as there has not been much feedback for you I thought I’d try and help a little.

O licence if you are not intending to haul for 3rd parties then a restricted o licence is all you need, I’ll explain the reasons below.

1. All waste has to be moved on a waste transfer note, so if you go to Fred blogs and collect 16t of spoil you have to fill out documentation to accept legal responsibility / ownership of that waste. The waste then becomes yours, thus you are transporting your own goods.

2. If you supply aggregates you buy the aggregates and sell on to 3rd parties, if you have purchased the aggregates to sell on then again you are supplying your own goods.

If a company or a indervidual was to ask you to pick a load up from point A and take to point B and not going to a licenced waste facility and moved upon a waste transfer note then this is haulage and for hire and reward so a national opperators licence would be required.

Regarding cpc on a restricted o licence you don’t need a cpc or a transport manager, that having been said you may wish to employ a transport manager part time to keep you legal.

Running heavy goods vehicle’s is time consuming and above all costly, even more so if you intend on putting drivers on.

Maintenance wise you can not leave anything to chance, grab hire lorries and tipper lorries do take there fair share of hammering on the tip so a large pot of money and top class HGV maintenance company need to be on hand.

We have spent over 12k on maintenance and repair on one grab lorry in six months, to be honest it was a used grab lorry we brought and the majority was bringing it up to our standards. I’d say around 7k was on stuff that was needed and 5k on stuff like tyres, brakes, clutch that could of all done a further 12 months but wanted her bang on on to start. It dose pay off as she flies though her six weekly checks (and I make sure she has a bloody good going over) and stright though MOT no advisories.

A driver cpc is obviously required.

So I would say pick the right truck, but if you don’t, don’t worry about it, it yours so get it right, keep it well above what VOSA expect as a minimum and don’t listen to the “tyres as long as there black and round brigade” you will do ok.

www.simply-recycling.co.uk