Gp plant sweepers

anyone worked on go plant on sweepers just seeing what money is like and hrs they work i know its dirty work
cheers

No different to any other sweeper company, the job is mind numbing, the pay is crap and you get covered in ■■■■ every time you clean the back out or change the brushes.

I once applied to have a go at roadsweeping. Never heard back. At interview was told hours are mon to fri and most Saturday mornings. I questioned this. Was told tacho laws don’t apply as classed as public service. And don’t have a tacho fitted.
Glad didn’t get it to be honest.

Seen these advertising locally myself recently & as luck would have it I bumped into a fitter of theirs at a local burger van, he said it was all done properly & above board but the positions advertised were for, as he put it, “off hire work” he claimed you could end up anywhere during the week, staying in travel lodge, seemed odd to me to send sweepers out that far they are not the most economic things to run long distances.

As already said pay will be ■■■■, at times very dirty & soul destroying. Norse are advertising in Norwich for a sweeper driver for 17k a year I mean seriously anyone applying for that needs there head examining!!

I had a mate work on sweepers briefly. Boring boring boring unless you can switch your brain off.

I do like the way people slag off someone for getting low wages. If they are living in a low wage area swamped with cheaper labour from somewhere else, then there is not a long of choice. Norwich has never been a big paying area.

Odd days:
I do like the way people slag off someone for getting low wages. If they are living in a low wage area swamped with cheaper labour from somewhere else, then there is not a long of choice. Norwich has never been a big paying area.

Also fair play to them for actually working rather than sitting on their arse.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Odd days:

Sounds like a slave mentality to me to be honest, but each to their own, a quick search on indeed would show that’s extremely low for the area, class 2 mixer work is advertised at 27k plenty of palletised work around for £24/26k too. And I wasn’t judging ya Gita do what’s best for the individual just can’t see why you’d do 40/50 hours @ 3mph all day for 17k.

when i worked there it was 60 hours a week paid at national minimum wage at the time £7.20 an hour, so £432 a week. i was told i could make up to £800 a week with bonuses etc, but this was impossible as far as i could see, basically you may have for example 5 jobs a day which for the sake of argument you can book 4 hours for each job(some are more some less)…1 hour drive to site 2 hours on site…1 hour tipping…now if your freindly with site managers etc you might only be on site for an hour and you get them to sign you off, and they might let you tip on site and its only taken you half an hour to drive there so thats 4 hours booked for 1 and half hours work…now if every job is like that, thats where you can make your bonus ie 20 hours booked for the day only 12 worked, so 8 hours bonus…the old hands seem like they could make it, but i suppose they got all the best sites, i couldnt see a way forward to be honest, plus i was bored ■■■■■■■■ so i jacked it because i was still expected to do 60 hours a week for min wage…no tachograph :open_mouth: i was also given a 1 year old truck but it was an absolute ■■■■ hole with all sorts of defective equipment, non of which the fitters seemed interested n fixin properly

dbk23:

Odd days:

Sounds like a slave mentality to me to be honest, but each to their own, a quick search on indeed would show that’s extremely low for the area, class 2 mixer work is advertised at 27k plenty of palletised work around for £24/26k too. And I wasn’t judging ya Gita do what’s best for the individual just can’t see why you’d do 40/50 hours @ 3mph all day for 17k.

The headline numbers are not everything. They could be doing 7.30 till 5 job because the Mrs does and evening shift and they look after the kids. It could be a a job you can walk to. They might be aiming for someone on tax credits and housing benefits so they will take home more then the headlines suggest. All that glitters is not gold.

Tdhtransport12:
anyone worked on go plant on sweepers just seeing what money is like and hrs they work i know its dirty work
cheers

Have you tried phoning them up and asking?

It’s what I would do.

joe royal:

Tdhtransport12:
cheers

Have you tried phoning them up and asking?

It’s what I would do.

Doesn’t hurt to ask around as most employers will tell you what you want to hear.

I encountered plenty of sweeper lads on Motorway construction etc and they generally seemed content with the job. Like us they could be sat doing nothing for several hours at a time but I believe they were on hourly pay so were basically paid for just sitting doing nothing a lot of the time whereas we were mostly on earnings. Some had to do their own maintenance, changing brushes etc, but otherwise it didn’t seem too bad a job, although they could be a long way from home after a late finish on site but then so could we?

Pete.

Odd days:

dbk23:

Odd days:

The headline numbers are not everything. They could be doing 7.30 till 5 job because the Mrs does and evening shift and they look after the kids. It could be a a job you can walk to. They might be aiming for someone on tax credits and housing benefits so they will take home more then the headlines suggest. All that glitters is not gold.

Thanks for clearing that up! What a great government we have giving out benefits to the low paid, I’m sure it wouldn’t be beneficial to earn a decent & fair wage and have the misses able to look after kids home etc etc… might have to apply myself now!!

Some couldn’t take the chains off even if there whole family’s existence depended on it.

That my friend is the world we live in today, we might not like it but it is what it is.