GP eyetest

Morning TNUK,

Pease could someone tell me if the eyetest carried out by a GP is just the normal snellen chart? The reason i ask is the price for a medical ranges from £115 to £175 in my area!

For that i’d expect breakfast/lunch thrown in :smiling_face:

Thanks

the medical should not be more than £50-60, forget about your GP.

use Google or let us know your area and someone might be able to recommend something close to you

Priest:
the medical should not be more than £50-60, forget about your GP.

use Google or let us know your area and someone might be able to recommend something close to you

Thought that was a bit high! i’ve found a place in Milton Keynes that charge £40. Bit of a trek though, I live in Sandy, Bedfordshire.

Is the eyetest just reading the snellen chart or some other more time consuming test, i just assumed that’s why the price was so high.

Thanks Priest :smiling_face:

Paid my GP surgery £120 for mine. Plus cost me another £5 for the optician to fill out the eye test page.

As others have said it’s a lot cheaper elsewhere. I just paid it for the convenience of just going down the road. Daft I know.

To answer your question you might find (as I did) that some GP’s don’t have the correct chart or they cannot carry out the calculation so you have to go to optician to have them fill it out.

google it. mine only cost 40 quid was in and out in 2 minutes… had my eyetest done at my local opticians

I stay in Scotland, Paid £50 for doctor appointment & Free eye test from them.

JS8576:
To answer your question you might find (as I did) that some GP’s don’t have the correct chart or they cannot carry out the calculation so you have to go to optician to have them fill it out.

this is right,

my GP only charged me £50, however he could not do the eye test bit so I went to Tesco’s opticians where they do it free and she also signed the form for me :slight_smile:

I would be very careful I got caught out with that last year , I had my medical just too keep my license , he gave me my eye test and I thought nothing of it , sent in my paper work to dvla , only for them to return my license with no bus or heavy goods ,
So I went to the opticians thinking I needed glasses to drive ,I showed the optician the letter from DVLA, he did my eye test perfect . The doc had screwed up , optician told me I’m not the first , and it was months to get DVLA to put my license right , if I was useing my license for my JOB, I would have been royaly scr**** ,
Couldn’t get a word from the GP , receptionist wouldn’t let me see him just left him the confirmation from the optician and a note with my feelings on his MEDICAL ,

Thanks for the advice everyone. Booked through driversmedicals.com. Cost was £58.00 (includes £5 to charity) for Sept 10th and had a venue in Bedford, just up the road from me. Happy days :smiley:

Is the test just a regular snellen chart? if it is the prices GP’s charge is ridiculous!

Yes its the snellen

I would find an opticians giving a free eye test and go for that

Got my eye test for free due to JSA but still charged me £5. Not sure if £5 is standard charge for opticians filling out one page. Likewise I wonder if the £120 is standard for GP’s and they can decide if they want to charge less. I imagine trying to charge more would be a violation of their own ethics. As for what Hippocrates would say about £120 for 10 minutes work!

I had my eye test stuffed up by a foreign doctor who ticked the wrong box! I had to wait an extra 2 months for it to be sorted!!

Donya-elias:
I had my eye test stuffed up by a foreign doctor who ticked the wrong box! I had to wait an extra 2 months for it to be sorted!!

Ridiculous when its just a few pages! Count yourself lucky you didn’t have him treat you in hostpital :smiling_face:

Smudger40:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Booked through driversmedicals.com. Cost was £58.00 (includes £5 to charity) for Sept 10th and had a venue in Bedford, just up the road from me. Happy days :smiley:

Is the test just a regular snellen chart? if it is the prices GP’s charge is ridiculous!

Medical passed. Asked GP if everything was ok, also checked the D4 form before I left all clear & no extra comments. Just got a long wait for the provisional to come back! Theory book hasn’t left my side since Saturday :smiley:

I’ve only had one medical for HGV’s, but considering the doctor didn’t know me and didn’t have access to any of my notes I’d love to know how he knew what boxes to tick. Just went through them ticking “no” to pretty much everything without a single question, then the water test and quick weight / height check and that’s £40, sorted.

My annual asbestos operative medicals went into more details than one for driving an HGV, and in theory at least I’m a lot more dangerous doing the latter. :slight_smile:

Are you sure he was a doctor? Not sure why he wanted the “water” test. My GP some years ago felt by ■■■■■■■■ when I went for an LGV medical but I think he was just being thorough.

Last medical I had didn’t even need to get undressed. Like you say just ticking a load of boxes. Ten minutes later £120 lighter in the pocket.

Doc is retired, but he’s still registered and got a stack of certificates all over his walls. He’s the doc everyone around here seems to use for their LGV / PCV and similar medicals as he’s an awful lot cheaper than the GP, but as he says, he’s not got a surgery to run. £40 definitely cheaper.

The water (pee) test I guess was just to check for diabetes or similar, unless he just has a very strange fetish! :wink:

Really not sure I’d be going back if he was doing “check” of down there to be honest - closest I’ve ever got is “lift your shirt”, although maybe that had a secret double meaning. Erm yes…

Went to my own GP for medical he had all my notes in front of him filled in nearly 1 hr later optician filled in my eye test nowt for eye test nowt for filling form in

Really not sure I’d be going back if he was doing “check” of down there to be honest - closest I’ve ever got is “lift your shirt”, although maybe that had a secret double meaning. Erm yes…

I think you might have had a lucky escape. Wouldn’t risk going back. :laughing: