Government announcement on HGV shortage

Bigtruck3:
Would they have to give grandfather rights to the middle class drivers if they by pass that test

What?..The middle classes are joining this industry? :open_mouth:
Surely not,.I thought they had too much senseā€¦and money. :laughing:

I wonder with the driver shortage if things will revert to the standards of the 70s. The actual test was only 25 mins, very few manoeuvres demonstrated. Unlimited minor faults allowed. In fact unless you killed anyone or mounted the kerb on cornering you pretty much was garanteed to pass. But thngs are much more stringent now with the increase of traffic on the roads along with more powerful cars being driven. So are we going to see the test standards relaxed in order to satisfy the driver shortage?

Yorkshire Tramper:
So are we going to see the test standards relaxed in order to satisfy the driver shortage?

You may be on to something there. We all know how much officialdom likes to rearrange goal posts to satisfy targets, so itā€™s not beyond imagination that a blind eye will be turned in order to get arses on seats.

the maoster:

Yorkshire Tramper:
So are we going to see the test standards relaxed in order to satisfy the driver shortage?

You may be on to something there. We all know how much officialdom likes to rearrange goal posts to satisfy targets, so itā€™s not beyond imagination that a blind eye will be turned in order to get arses on seats.

God help us if the test goes back to 70s standards :open_mouth: . The roads are already brimming with clueless HGV drivers that canā€™t drive for [zb].

Yorkshire Tramper:
I wonder with the driver shortage if things will revert to the standards of the 70s. The actual test was only 25 mins, very few manoeuvres demonstrated. Unlimited minor faults allowed. In fact unless you killed anyone or mounted the kerb on cornering you pretty much was garanteed to pass. But thngs are much more stringent now with the increase of traffic on the roads along with more powerful cars being driven. So are we going to see the test standards relaxed in order to satisfy the driver shortage?

Looks like it is already happening. The government statistics show tests conducted 2007-08 Male and female pass rate was 46.3% compared with the latest 2020-21 which is 58%.
gov.uk/government/statistic ā€¦ est-centre
It has always amazed me passing a bus (D) driving test do not enable you to go straight to class 1 (C+E) test. I imagine todayā€™s bus test with all H&S would not be any easier to pass.

robroy:

Bigtruck3:
Would they have to give grandfather rights to the middle class drivers if they by pass that test

What?..The middle classes are joining this industry? :open_mouth:
Surely not,.I thought they had too much senseā€¦and money. :laughing:

Drivers names on the sigining in sheet will go from being called ā€œDaveā€ and ā€œStuartā€ to ā€œTarquinā€ and ā€œBarnabyā€.
Cafe menu will no longer serve full english brekie but instead it will have quails eggs on top of sourdough bread with avocado smash.

I think the whole testing system is easier. My step son has just passed his car test.

Andā€¦

Wait for it ā€¦

Heā€™s NEVER done an emergency stop. Instructor hasnā€™t taught it him, he wasnt asked to do one on test. He only had to do one manoeuvre on his test - a really simple park.

The practical side he did last week was easier than the test I took in 1990ā€¦

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:
I think the whole testing system is easier. My step son has just passed his car test.

Andā€¦

Wait for it ā€¦

Heā€™s NEVER done an emergency stop. Instructor hasnā€™t taught it him, he wasnt asked to do one on test. He only had to do one manoeuvre on his test - a really simple park.

I believe taking a test in HGV, emergency stop is not part of the test.

Montsoreau:

Truckulent:

Andā€¦

Wait for it ā€¦

I can understand that.

But if they arenā€™t doing them in cars now, we are going to end up with HGV drivers that have never done an emergency stop - ever.

Not sure how thatā€™s a step forward ā€¦

Truckulent:

Montsoreau:

Truckulent:

Andā€¦

Wait for it ā€¦

I can understand that.

But if they arenā€™t doing them in cars now, we are going to end up with HGV drivers that have never done an emergency stop - ever.

Not sure how thatā€™s a step forward ā€¦

Looking on the internet looks like a driving test which requires the examiner to be in the vehicle, you do not do an emergency stop in your test. But any vehicle which an examiner is not in to conduct the test for example tractor motorbike tank or road roller you will be required to do an emergency stop. Must be H&S.

Why doesnā€™t the government fund class 1 testsā€¦?

Wouldnā€™t be that expensive either. At a cost of upto Ā£2000 for the course and test, at the high end, it would be around Ā£200m for 100,000 Class 1 courses and tests.

Given all the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  they spend money on, all the waste, this is pocket change.

If the shortage had happened 6 month ago they would have suggested letting Peter Sutcliffe back on the road - at least after he did his cpc.

M65Chris:
Why doesnā€™t the government fund class 1 testsā€¦?

Wouldnā€™t be that expensive either. At a cost of upto Ā£2000 for the course and test, at the high end, it would be around Ā£200m for 100,000 Class 1 courses and tests.

Given all the [zb] they spend money on, all the waste, this is pocket change.

Why should I pay for there course and test let them pay for there own.

I noticed this open letter on Grant Shappsā€™ twitter from a couple of days ago. Apparently an open letter to the ā€œUK Logistics Sectorā€.

The joint letter says the way out is to be ā€œled by industryā€, but with the government there to help. No recognition then for the private individuals who have funded licences purely for use in haulage for the last significant number of years. If it wasnā€™t for these individuals this country would surely be well and truly on its knees.

No indication of any foresight on this issue when the tests were cancelled last year. At the end of March 2020, even a relatively obtuse truck driver like myself could see potential issues with cancelling tests:

Time lost, but how do you reconcile the impact on transport?

It also doesnā€™t really take a genius to work out that Brexit may well result in qualified drivers vacating at short-notice. It is not as if there wasnā€™t time to start the apprenticeship schemes earlier or start to think about recruiting more examiners earlier. But no, the government will wait and wait and make sure the horse has not just bolted, but has been running around in the paddock for a significant amount of time before doing anything. It takes Haribo hitting the headlines for them to wake up from their dazed confused state.

Now there is talk of giving provisional C+E without C being held purely to reduce the number of tests. So why were people having to sit C for the last significant number of years then? Was this to keep examiners busy or what? Well, dear government please contact all those who have passed C (and subsequently moved on to C+E) in the last twenty odd years and refund their test fees, vehicle hire fees and instructor fees for the test days. You may as well throw in reimbursement for the retests (if applicable) too.

It is clear that the government doesnā€™t talk to any drivers, doesnā€™t even talk to any acting managers that used to be drivers - for a better picture of all thatā€™s right and wrong with the industry, and what they hope it will one day become ā€œProxy Serfdom for the Massesā€ by the looks of it.

If the government were to hold meaningful talks with LGV driversā€™ representatives who would they speak to?
Unions ? A Trucknet Select committee? RHA?

Thatā€™s the thing: Who does represent the LGV driver?

Itā€™s been an ā€œIā€™m alright Jackā€ industry for decades nowā€¦

Had it gone down the path of say, the Train drivers, stronly unionized, and unmolested by Thatcherā€™s so-called ā€œReformsā€ - we might be in a better place now, with the whole industry being ā€œDead Manā€™s Shoesā€ rather than ā€œOh, thatā€™s wot Sutcliffe did for a living - wasnā€™t it?ā€ The public perception of a Lorry Driver.

This is probably going to cost the same as 2 tests then?

I want a refund for my class 2 course Boris Bozzo ā– ā– 

:unamused:

Montsoreau:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Looks like it is already happening. The government statistics show tests conducted 2007-08 Male and female pass rate was 46.3% compared with the latest 2020-21 which is 58%.
gov.uk/government/statistic ā€¦ est-centre
It has always amazed me passing a bus (D) driving test do not enable you to go straight to class 1 (C+E) test. I imagine todayā€™s bus test with all H&S would not be any easier to pass.

I passed my bus test (D) in the early 2000ā€™s, Iā€™m was amazed to find that passing that with the ability to carry nearly 80 members of public, on a vehicle as long as Class 2, didnt give me any rights to automatically convert the licence over.

Noremac:
I noticed this open letter on Grant Shappsā€™ twitter from a couple of days ago. Apparently an open letter to the ā€œUK Logistics Sectorā€.

What a load of guff in that letter. ā€œWe need more diversity in the workforceā€. Yeah, thatā€™ll sort it.