Government announcement on HGV shortage

rearaxle:
So all those who had to spend an extra 1300 on class2 first won’t be happy.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

If its legislated properly (stop sniggering at the back) the training and test should cost and take the same Combined amount of time as the current two test method.

The reason the existing process is in place is to do with safety, I know years ago we used to do this and that and nobody died but that period in time does not exist. This is a compromise in safety, not saying it won’t work. I think there is a consultation going on and hope all views considered. Going from a corsa to a 44 T truck I’m a week or 2 is a big leap for some(not all) people, never mind being able to reverse onto a bay. There is no point having a license if insurance companies won’t insure them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortage of HGV drivers in the UK is worse than originally thought with extra 100,000 now needed ​

The Road Haulage Association (RHA) has upgraded its estimate of the shortage of HGV drivers in the UK to 100,000 as delays at testing stations prevent newly qualified drivers from getting on the road.

According to the Loadstar, the UK Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) cancelled “at least” 30,000 HGV tests last year due to Covid-19. One haulier said it had 40 drivers waiting for tests.

‘Conservative estimate’

An RHA spokesperson said the new shortage figure factored in 15,000 Eastern European drivers that returned home, as well as the cancelled tests and claimed “a shortage of 100,000 is probably quite conservative”.

The Grocer reported that Tesco is throwing away 50 tonnes of fresh food a week because it doesn’t have enough lorry drivers to get it to stores.

Industry figures are warning of worsening supply chain problems.

Call in the army
James Bielby, chief executive officer of the Federation of Wholesale Distributors, has urged the government to call in the army, reports iNews.

“We are concerned enough to suggest that the government considers having Army trucks on standby to ensure there are enough vehicles and drivers to distribute food,” he said.

Rolling problem
Other staff shortages could lead to “inevitable” problems in the food supply chain, reports the Mirror. A lack of EU workers in packaging, production and warehousing is already affecting some products, according to the Cold Chain Federation chief executive Shane Brennan.

“It’s going to be a rolling problem – there will be outages day by day. The supply chain is struggling,” he said.

Would they have to give grandfather rights to the middle class drivers if they by pass that test

Harry Monk:
I can see there being potential for this announcement to exacerbate the driver shortage because I would imagine that anyone thinking of going for their HGV licence will now defer doing this to see if this one-step driving test materialises.

Don’t really see a problem with it though, like many of the older drivers on here it’s what I did, straight to Class 1.

You’re not old Harry , I got mine via grandad rights , that’s old !

Just make the training for the C+E practical test 28 hours, perhaps over 8 days with the test on the ninth day.

First 14 hours in the rigid, pass a mock test with the instructor, and then onto the artic.

With a good trainer, I don’t see any problems.

Juddian:

rearaxle:
So all those who had to spend an extra 1300 on class2 first won’t be happy.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

If its legislated properly (stop sniggering at the back) the training and test should cost and take the same Combined amount of time as the current two test method.

I agree. The benefit being the reduction jn delays waiting for licence to come back/getting booked in again etc.

The issue isn’t lack of licence holders.

It is the long hours, ■■■■■ treatment, multitude of petty rules (which are ok to break if the government says so, but otherwise thanks for your money driver). Added to which, monitored all the time, silly “league tables” to see who can lick arses the fastest - and the expectation that some drivers will be a loader, unloader, administrator and oh yes, a HGV driver for 10-12quid an hour. That is the issue.

One glance at Indeed shows that the transport sector still aren’t getting it.

I’ve a licence, 12 years" experience, current dCPC and medical. But I ain’t driving for the ■■■■■ money currently on offer in many places.

It isn’t test rules and regs that need changing, it is everything else.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

robroy:

Conor:
They did. They refused to extend KCC’s licence a few weeks ago.

Pleased to hear it, I hope it ■■■■■■ them right off. :laughing:
What was their stated reasons for the refusal?

Here you go, an article from the BBC. Nothing stated and looking at the KCC’s own press release they don’t say either. I’m guessing the consultation and RHA etc actually did something for a change.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-57654857

“The Grocer reported that Tesco is throwing away 50 tonnes of fresh food a week because it doesn’t have enough lorry drivers to get it to stores.”

They do that in a normal day anyway with damages and dropsies let alone a week. Scaremongering at its finest, make it sound like a big number when in reality its 2 truck loads a week. Peanuts for a big supermarket :laughing: :laughing:

There are a couple of dangers here:

If we return to the old system where one can pass directly the Class 1, and then acquire the entitlement to drive class 2 and wagon+drag entitlements despite having had no training/experience at that point:

WHO will, in future - choose to do the now optional Class 2, just to get lumbered with the huge amount of “Knowhow”-type work available, rather than “Dead Man’s Shoes” Bakery jobs?

This government decision - could very well merely shunt the current overall HGV worker shortage - to a C2 shortage, which then in turn - leads to the rising of C2 wages up and beyond what C+E drivers get…

The other danger is that should C2 pay rise in this way - that C+E holders, especially the younger, fitter ones among our number (!) will opt to ditch their C+E job for a now-higher-paid C2 job, leaving the “shortage” to then run full circle.

The major factor that the government seems to be side-stepping at present - is that their solution sounds like a long-term one, but in fact would only work if we returned to pre-lockdown levels on pretty much everything - soon.

I think that we’ve entered a new era, like it or not though.
Nothing will quite be the same again, and the next economic boom - will only be for those workers who’ve decided not to return to their former lands across the seas… :bulb:

“Rustics you were, and Rustics - you are still.”

(The Peasant’s revolt - rose up following a severe labour shortage among the decimated population following the Black Death two generations earlier…
A possible sharp rise in pay and conditions, due under the basic supply-and-demand capitalist system - never happened thanks to the actions of young Richard II, who was later overthrown and left to perish in a dungeon by future lancastrian usurper - Henry Bollingbrooke, aka Henry IV of England…)

To this day, “Supply and Demand” only seems to be one-sided, and entitle already-wealthy employers to get rid of people when there is a surplus of labour, and not upkeep the common good when “Times are 'ard”.

In my mind, it is those who have prosperered under the lockdown - that should bear upon their shoulders the full cost of any future recovery.

There’s no point even attempting to kick people at the bottom from here on, as a lot of us are dropping out of tax, due to low earnings. You can raise basic income taxes as much as you want then, and the Rich will offset ever more, whilst the poor don’t earn enough to pay those raise taxes.

Clearly, a different solution is required.

The Government’s current direction on post-pandemic Britian - will likely fail the moment future foreign settlers here - rely on the state benefits, rather than strive to get one of the now MANY low-paid jobs in our economy.

Meanwhile, home-grown Brits - are not going to be choosing to come off benefits or even Furlough - if their new job and duties has them working twice as hard, half as many more hours, for only 20% higher pay than before.
Inflation - will likely erode away the 20% pay rise as well, with Gas up 800% from the lows of last year alone…

At least there is growing pressure to keep the “Temporary” uplift in place, due to otherwise end at the “End of the Lockdown”…

(Article 2 hours old at time of posting this edit.)

Fuzrat:
“The Grocer reported that Tesco is throwing away 50 tonnes of fresh food a week because it doesn’t have enough lorry drivers to get it to stores.”

It does, it’s just that they spend 50% of their shift at the RDC waiting to get tipped.

Juddian:
Hopefully they’ll mandate that if going straight to class 1 that the instruction time actually spent behind the wheel is at least as much as the average time spent learning the current two courses.
Straight to class 1 used to be a ten day course, test on the Friday usually, this worked well because it gave ample time for learning proper lorry control not just how to pass the test.

+1, yes that would be very wise indeed, I hope they put something in place to make that a reality

toonsy:
Just shows that rigid drivers arent real lorry drivers after all. Just skip the pointless test to get to the good stuff :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp:

I know that’s just tongue in cheek Toonsy, but coincidentally, my local council have just halved the frequency of household waste collections because 35% (and rising) of crews are isolating because of being pinged by the NHS app.
Still plenty of need for Class 2 in this world, and doing kerbside work all day is a heck of a lot harder than trunking down the motorway IME, I know I wouldn’t want to go back to doing it.

Not long found out from contacts that many foreign lorry drivers have gone back to their countries of origin because of brexit and covid rules
Those drivers can now earn more with less travel hassle in other EU countries

ROG:
Not long found out from contacts that many foreign lorry drivers have gone back to their countries of origin because of brexit and covid rules
Those drivers can now earn more with less travel hassle in other EU countries

Makes you wonder then ROg why they haven’t all gone home if they can earn more in Poland , Romania etc etc ,my understanding is brexit made them feel they weren’t welcome here
Let’s hope all those who forced them out ( voted for brexit ) don’t get the same welcome if they have to work / travel abroad , but knowing the 2 faced idiots they be having a pint with them and telling them how much they miss them !!!

I know it’s not the same but in Manitoba Canada you have to take 121hrs training nowadays to a get class one licence. Due to East Indians etc lack of regard to other motorists and wiping out many!

robroy:

Yorkshire Tramper:

robroy:
Here’s a revolutionary idea…Make general terms and conditions better, starting with bringing the permitted daily and weekly hours down, with wages adjusted accordingly in correlation with new hours.
Bring the industry into Century 21, make the job attractive as it once was.
Who tf in their right mind wants to start a new job or carreer where your work expectancy exceeds 70 + hours every [zb] week.
I know that longer hours go hand in hand with the type of work, but a 60 hour max working week inc breaks (or less) is enough for anybody, some may argue even that is too much.

I would argue way too much on 60 hrs, I don’t know many other jobs that look on you doing 60 hrs as though you are a slacker. Most jobs advertise 38 hrs per week, with overtime as an option.

Yeh, I was meaning 60 including overtime tbh.
When I started (in the Middle ages :smiley: ) it was a 12 and a half hour daily spreadover, we got paid time and a half overtime rate after 8 hours.

I

If l remember correctly r.r. 12and half seemed one hell of a day, didn,t do many l.ll admit,
but nowadays a lot of drivers would never rest unless they get their 15. Those hours seem better for the driver and safer too.

So what happens to us lot who spent best part of £1500 quid on class 2? Hardly seems fair especially if you wanted to get straight on to class 1 work.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

chrismurray1501:
So what happens to us lot who spent best part of £1500 quid on class 2? Hardly seems fair especially if you wanted to get straight on to class 1 work.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

In '76 it cost me £296 to go straight to class 1, wages roughly £40/60 for a bloody long week when i was on vans saving up, so what 6 weeks gross wages?

Say a wannabe driver is on £600 gross now for a weeks wages (for a similar hard working week), so 6 x 600 = £3600.

If it costs you another £2000 to get your class 1 costs really haven’t changed much.