Got test next week help me please!

Hi

Firstly good luck with the test this week. Try not to think about the outcome of the test, it will take care of itself. What you can do however is make sure that you put 100% of what you have been taught into practice. At the end of the test whatever the result it is important that you know you gave it EVERYTHING.

More specifically the points of concern you raise:-

1. Kerbs when turning left. The precise distance you need to be from the kerb on the approach depends largely on the length of the vehicle. The longer the vehicle the larger the gap needed. Generally though if you imaging a white line connecting the centre white line of the road you are leaving and the centre white line of the road you are entering. Keep your front offside wheel on that imaginery line and usually you will not clip the kerb.

2. Narrow roads / country lanes. Keep well to the left on right hand bends. If a large vehicle comes towards you slow down and change down a gear or 2. Let the other driver judge the gap instead of you doing everything. Once clear try to get back up to the speed limit (usually 40mph) even if only for a short distance.

3. Chelmsford Test Routes. Make sure you are comfortable with the Army and Navy roundabout. Especially right turns. Also if you have a 2.30pm test watch out for the school in Beehive Lane, Gt Baddow and all the parked cars. Because there has not been a permanent examiner there for months now they tend to use the area around Sainsbury’s in Springfield for the independant drive. Make sure you are familiar with the double roundabout (2 right turns) onto the A12 London bound just after the Boreham services. Remember the Bus lane in London Road is not a bus lane from 10am - 4pm so unless you have a 8.45am test USE THE BUS LANE.

Could go on forever about the test routes but I hope this helps a bit.

LGVTrainer:
Hi

Firstly good luck with the test this week. Try not to think about the outcome of the test, it will take care of itself. What you can do however is make sure that you put 100% of what you have been taught into practice. At the end of the test whatever the result it is important that you know you gave it EVERYTHING.

More specifically the points of concern you raise:-

1. Kerbs when turning left. The precise distance you need to be from the kerb on the approach depends largely on the length of the vehicle. The longer the vehicle the larger the gap needed. Generally though if you imaging a white line connecting the centre white line of the road you are leaving and the centre white line of the road you are entering. Keep your front offside wheel on that imaginery line and usually you will not clip the kerb.

2. Narrow roads / country lanes. Keep well to the left on right hand bends. If a large vehicle comes towards you slow down and change down a gear or 2. Let the other driver judge the gap instead of you doing everything. Once clear try to get back up to the speed limit (usually 40mph) even if only for a short distance.

3. Chelmsford Test Routes. Make sure you are comfortable with the Army and Navy roundabout. Especially right turns. Also if you have a 2.30pm test watch out for the school in Beehive Lane, Gt Baddow and all the parked cars. Because there has not been a permanent examiner there for months now they tend to use the area around Sainsbury’s in Springfield for the independant drive. Make sure you are familiar with the double roundabout (2 right turns) onto the A12 London bound just after the Boreham services. Remember the Bus lane in London Road is not a bus lane from 10am - 4pm so unless you have a 8.45am test USE THE BUS LANE.

Could go on forever about the test routes but I hope this helps a bit.

Generally though if you imaging a white line connecting the centre white line of the road you are leaving and the centre white line of the road you are entering. Keep your front offside wheel on that imaginery line and usually you will not clip the kerb.

GOOD TIP ! :slight_smile:

this is a good tip mr lgv i will practice this is chelmsford a good place for a test or is there better places?
i have heard purfleet is good?

We tend to use Chelmsford where possible, mainly because we are based in Chelmsford and therefore do not waste training time travelling to the testing area. Purfleet is fine as well. It tends to have more traffic if the route takes you to Barking/Dagenham although there are some fairly rural routes around Ockenden / Aveley/ Upminster.

To be honest it really doesn’t matter which centre you use, the skills needed are the same. Most test routes will have some town traffic, some country type roads, and some dual carriageway.

There is loads of good advice on this board although I would listen mostly to what your instructor has taught you. He has seen you drive and trust me you cannot use the same teaching style for every candidate. He will know what YOU need to do to pass. If you feel he is being hard on you sometimes it is for your own good. I would never tell someone they are doing great just because they have spent a lot of money on their course. They are paying to hear the truth and the reality.

When is your test and good luck in it.