Got off lightly!

Drink-drive trucker had 60 cans of lager and two bottles of wine in his cab

Wednesday, April 17, 2013Derby TelegraphFollow
By Martin Naylor

POLICE who arrested the driver of a 44-tonne car transporter for drink-driving found 60 cans of lager and two bottles of wine in his cab
Staff at car dealership TC Harrison said Karl Doyley “stank of booze” after dropping off six cars at their Derby dealership.
​
TC Harrison

When he told them he planned to drive on another 30-miles to Chesterfield in his 22ft long transporter they rang the police.
When officers arrived they forced him to take a breathalyser test which found he had 95mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath.

Cheap Home Insurance with Free Household Legal Expenses- Call…
Insure365
View details
Print voucher

A second test in custody, taken around an hour later, found the reading was even higher — 99mg. The legal limit is 35mg.
A worker at TC Harrison said Doyley, 44, arrived at their Pride Park dealership at around 6pm on March 27.
He said: "Once it was clear that he was drunk and then told us he was going on to Chesterfield to deliver more cars after he left Derby I knew I had to act.
"There was no way I was going to let him back on the road and possibly kill someone because of the drunken state he was in.
"I couldn’t, and I don’t think any right-minded person, could have that on their conscience.
"What made it more remarkable was that when the police arrived and he opened up the door of his cab there must have been 60 cans of lager in there and two bottles of wine.
"Some were empty and lying on the floor and some were in a refrigerator he had in his cab.
"This man had already said he had delivered cars and was then planning on driving another 30 miles or so in the state he was in.
“It beggars belief.”
At Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court, Doyley, of Banbury, Oxfordshire, pleaded guilty to drink-driving.
Magistrates disqualified him from driving for 26 months, gave him a community order to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and ordered him to pay £85 costs and £60 victim surcharge.
He was offered a drink-driving awareness course to reduce his ban by six months.
Chief Inspector Steve Wilson, head of roads policing in Derbyshire, said: "Without the diligence and the vigilance of the staff at TC Harrison this drink-driver could have got behind the wheel of his 44-tonne vehicle and put lives at risk.
"Their quick thinking has stopped what might have been an extremely dangerous situation whereby someone has got behind the wheel of a 22ft long lorry and carried on driving whilst in the intoxicated state they were in.
“It is always refreshing to see the positive attitudes people take against those who drink-drive.”

Read more: thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Drink … z2RDomwtxJ
Follow us: @DerbyshireNews on Twitter | thisisderbyshirenews on Facebook

Strange that they waited until they had their cars off first before informing the old bill…!

44-tonne car transporter
22ft long transporter
dropping off six cars
never seen that configuration before :confused:
wonder where they got that setup from, would think a 22 ft transporter could only carry 6 cars at best but he seemed to be able to carry more cos he was going to deliver some more in Chesterfield.

still inexcusable to be carrying that much booze inside the cab and inside him :open_mouth: :unamused:

It’s not right, But i think the guy needs help not just punishment.

Now that, is going for it.

22ft long, 60 cans, 2 bottles, who had been drinking exactly :sunglasses:

Reading that story I can’t help but feel that the 60 cans of lager and 2 bottles of wine probably have a lot to do with journalistic licence, I could be wrong but it just doesn’t seem very realistic to me.

I’ve seen the size of fridges in a lorry cab and i’m pretty sure you can’t fit 60 cans in em.

Still inexcusable to be driving while that “drunk” but I can also bet that if he is a long term alcoholic, half a dozen cans to him is probably no worse than a can of redbull to you or I.

60 or 6 it dont matter there should be a total ban on alcohol in truck cabs. Now I like a drink like the next man but I only drink at weekends, fridays and Saturday I wont drink on sundays so that I know that I am clear of alcohol by the time I start on monday morning :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing: :sunglasses:

I don’t see any reason why there should be a total ban on alcohol in cabs, I’m sure plenty of drivers enjoy a relaxing drink when parked up for the night, but most don’t drive whilst drunk.

i dont normally drink drive but i dont drive normally when i do

milkchurns:

Have you had a couple today :laughing:

JLS Driver SOS:

milkchurns:

Have you had a couple today :laughing:

3 tins with my cornflakes and a gallon of wine with the spuds at lunch time

limeyphil:

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No excuse whatsoever for his behaviour, but if he’d been sat there smoking a crack pipe every counsellor in the vicinity would be rushing to get him into rehab.

Also, 60 cans! Who are they kidding? A low cab transporter probably wouldn’t be able to fit 60 beer mats in, never mind cans.

limeyphil:

Amazing he managed to get so far down that road(pun not intended) before someone had a word.He must have been very adept at hiding his condition.I’m sure there was a WMPTE (as was) bus driver who had an apparently no-blame collision a long while ago.He was found to be well over the limit.Turned out that he’d had a few pints to steady his nerves before going on shift for some years.His driving was afterwards apparently assessed,both ‘normal’ (for him) which was fine,and then sober- and he couldn’t keep the bus in a straight line!Just goes to show how clever and devious addicts can be.Scary!!

Sir +:
WMPTE

What’s that mean :unamused: :unamused:
I have a drink most nights when parked up. Depending on finish and start times obviously determines how much but usually 2 -3 cans. Oh…and a bottle of Jacks :smiling_imp: :smiley:

dri-diddly-iver:

Sir +:
WMPTE

What’s that mean :unamused: :unamused:

It’s not txt spk and nothing to do with SWMBO.It’s what the West Midlands Transport Executive was known as by all and sundry in…guess where! :unamused: West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive - Wikipedia

limeyphil:

If he thinks it’s ok to drive whilst 3 times over the limit he needs both!

tachograph:
I don’t see any reason why there should be a total ban on alcohol in cabs, I’m sure plenty of drivers enjoy a relaxing drink when parked up for the night, but most don’t drive whilst drunk.

In a word cobblers! why should I or anyone else be banned from carrying alcohol in our cabs because of one muppet? This is the sort of typical health and safety knee jerk reaction typical of the UK today. Do you really think that if someone wishes to disregard the law let alone common sense that banning tinnys from cabs will make a difference?

Hombre:

tachograph:

In a word cobblers! why should I or anyone else be banned from carrying alcohol in our cabs because of one muppet? This is the sort of typical health and safety knee jerk reaction typical of the UK today. Do you really think that if someone wishes to disregard the law let alone common sense that banning tinnys from cabs will make a difference?

If you read my post properly and the post above it, you’ll see that’s exactly what I was saying in response to someone else who said that alcohol should be banned from the cab.