Got my first shift on sunday via agency!

Hey guys.

Ive got my first shift in a class 1 coming up on sunday morning via agency. Slightly nervous (bricking it actually) but this is what i got my license for. Theyre expecting me on Sunday morning and they also know i’m a newbie.

I havent even been in an HGV since having an artic conversion course with PSTT a couple of months ago,in itself that was the first time since passing my C+E in May. No experience driving rigids between C and C+E tests either so this will be my first time driving an HGV unsupervised,blimey! On my conversion course i asked Nick,my instructor,how he felt my driving was and he told me some words ill never forget…“Put it this way,im really not worried at the thought of you in a lorry by yourself”.

The company is Yearsleys in Newark. Got all my trucker bag set up and loaded,really looking forward to it. Ive been told its a really simple job,induction,leave yard,delivery to depot and come back. Bet it wont be that simple though lol.

Despite hearing people say it can be hard to get work i was offered a class 1 shift for the next day as i was registering at the agency for weekend work. The next weekend they phoned and offered me another shift but i wasnt available then. Yesterday i called and they offered me this shift today plus another earlier but it that one was too far from me. The agency have been really friendly and helpful too,with being understanding that i can only work every other weekend.

I cant afford to leave my reliable full time non driving job until i find something more reliable but its a start at least.

Just one last thank you to everyone at PSTT,my money was well spent training with them and now im out in the real world.

Has anyone got any non sarcastic tips for my first day? lol :smiley:

Best of luck sure you will be fine, just make sure you get a run through what paperwork etc is required. On my first day, multidrop, I was worrying about the truck (which went smooth) but then got confused over which bits to handover, sign or keep!! Doh!

GhostRider17:

Nope, and don’t forget your pebble! :wink:

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

Blue capped tank is Adblue
Black capped tank is diesel :wink:

spacemanZ10:
Best of luck sure you will be fine, just make sure you get a run through what paperwork etc is required. On my first day, multidrop, I was worrying about the truck (which went smooth) but then got confused over which bits to handover, sign or keep!! Doh!

Thanks mate,im sure ill be fine too,still a bit nervous though but really looking forward to my first time driving by myself.

Theyre expecting me and know im a newbie so ill be sure to get a full run down.

Ill let you guys know how i get on anyway.

blue estate:
Blue capped tank is Adblue
Black capped tank is diesel :wink:

Noted :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

GhostRider17:

Cheers fella. The agency just called me on my mobile again asking if id do another day tomorrow,really cant do both though so i stuck with the sunday one.

GhostRider17:

Evil8Beezle:

GhostRider17:

Cheers fella. The agency just called me on my mobile again asking if id do another day tomorrow,really cant do both though so i stuck with the sunday one.

I got the same after my first Saturday ‘can you do tomorrow?’ ‘no need the rest period’ got a bank hol shift in tho, at the higher rate so happy days!!

There are several good things about Sunday shifts - the roads tend to be quieter, as do the depots, RDCs and yards. That’s great for a newbie as there are going to be fewer people around who you think are watching you and laughing (they’re not, they’re probably not interested, and even if they are then they’ll be rooting for you to succeed and having sympathy for whatever problem you might be having). The pay should also be higher.

On the downside, though, because most of the fleet will be in port the yards can sometimes be a bit full, with less space and more to hit.

Take your time, don’t let anyone pressure you into doing anything faster than you’re comfortable with, and read through the forums for dozens of invaluable newbie tips. Good luck!

ORC:
There are several good things about Sunday shifts - the roads tend to be quieter, as do the depots, RDCs and yards. That’s great for a newbie as there are going to be fewer people around who you think are watching you and laughing (they’re not, they’re probably not interested, and even if they are then they’ll be rooting for you to succeed and having sympathy for whatever problem you might be having). The pay should also be higher.

On the downside, though, because most of the fleet will be in port the yards can sometimes be a bit full, with less space and more to hit.

Take your time, don’t let anyone pressure you into doing anything faster than you’re comfortable with, and read through the forums for dozens of invaluable newbie tips. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips,some great points there regarding sunday work.

Im equally gutted and annoyed at myself for making the most dumb mistake!!!

The agency who gave me the job knew i can only do weekend work as i have a full time job in the week.

On the phone the guy told me to turn at 7.30 on sunday and theyll be expecting me as well as sending me a txt with all the details and contact no.

Turned up at the depot,went in the wrong door for a start but the staff were friendly and showed me the way to transport,so off i went,work bag in tow,feeling excited but a little nervous.

Got to transport and the nice lady in reception didnt know who i was so she asked me to ring the transport manager,fair enough i thought.

Rang the manager and he said he didnt book anybody from my agency til this evening,so i told him id call my agency. Wait for it…its gets better!

Called them and they said that i was booked for 7.30 in the evening!!! So i double checked the confirmation txt they sent me and clear as day the time stated 19.30!!! To say i feel a tool is an understatement. The agency said theyd sort it and off i went with my tail between my legs back to my car.

Cant believe i made such a dumb mistake and didnt double check the start time properly. Ill call the agency later and apologise,hope theyre able to find me more work in a couple of weeks time when im free next.

Oh dear! :blush:

That’s not good pal, but an honest mistake so don’t beat yourself up about it…
It’s not like you’ve wrecked anything! :laughing:

Yes transport is a 24 hour game, and I bet in future you double check things like this! :grimacing:

Evil8Beezle:
Oh dear! :blush:

That’s not good pal, but an honest mistake so don’t beat yourself up about it…
It’s not like you’ve wrecked anything! :laughing:

Yes transport is a 24 hour game, and I bet in future you double check things like this! :grimacing:

Yeah,was an honest mistake but like you say i didnt wreck anything.

Cant believe i made such a dumb mistake before i even got in a cab lol.

I will defo double check in future,i know its a 24 hour thing and i really should have looked at the start time properly!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: oops

GhostRider17:
Hey guys.

Ive got my first shift in a class 1 coming up on sunday morning via agency. Slightly nervous (bricking it actually) but this is what i got my license for. Theyre expecting me on Sunday morning and they also know i’m a newbie.

I havent even been in an HGV since having an artic conversion course with PSTT a couple of months ago,in itself that was the first time since passing my C+E in May. No experience driving rigids between C and C+E tests either so this will be my first time driving an HGV unsupervised,blimey! On my conversion course i asked Nick,my instructor,how he felt my driving was and he told me some words ill never forget…“Put it this way,im really not worried at the thought of you in a lorry by yourself”.

The company is Yearsleys in Newark. Got all my trucker bag set up and loaded,really looking forward to it. Ive been told its a really simple job,induction,leave yard,delivery to depot and come back. Bet it wont be that simple though lol.

Despite hearing people say it can be hard to get work i was offered a class 1 shift for the next day as i was registering at the agency for weekend work. The next weekend they phoned and offered me another shift but i wasnt available then. Yesterday i called and they offered me this shift today plus another earlier but it that one was too far from me. The agency have been really friendly and helpful too,with being understanding that i can only work every other weekend.

I cant afford to leave my reliable full time non driving job until i find something more reliable but its a start at least.

Just one last thank you to everyone at PSTT,my money was well spent training with them and now im out in the real world.

Hey GhostRider -

I will be in a similar situation soon - albeit Class C. Please may I ask what should be in my ‘kit’ bag?

I work full time so will be the every other ‘Sunday’ thing, would it be worth contacting agencys now? (Will be able for to drive for reward from 25th Sept, thats the day after all my 35 hours are completed). Any advice which agencys to look into?

Any other tips would be great & thanks!
Simon

sandybeech:
Hey GhostRider -

I will be in a similar situation soon - albeit Class C. Please may I ask what should be in my ‘kit’ bag?

I work full time so will be the every other ‘Sunday’ thing, would it be worth contacting agencys now? (Will be able for to drive for reward from 25th Sept, thats the day after all my 35 hours are completed). Any advice which agencys to look into?

Simon

Sure mate,theres much smarter people on here than me but i can tell you whats in my kit bag.

Truckers sat nav and map.
Emergency food (canned rice pudding and cereal bars).
Flask and 2 water bottles (coffee and squash)
Small first aid kit (plasters,butterfly stiches,small bottle of tcp,tweezers,scissors etc)
Work gloves.
Clipboard and clear folder for paperwork. Another folder for reference material (drivers hours guides and a few printouts of different tachograph instructions).
8 metre sturdy tape measure.
9 in 1 multi tool.
2 small led torches plus a head torch.
Pencil case with spare pens,ruler,calculator,emergency phone power pack and believe or or not a spare pair of boot laces.
Kitchen roll.
A small collapsible water bottle (if the loos needed and theres no toilets,can always empty it out when you find somewhere,or out of the window in a cyclists face,let be honest we all hate them!)
Finally one of those handy truckers organisers with space for tacho rolls,drivers cards,work records etc.

Ive been advised to keep a record of all hours worked in the last 28 days in my other full time job too which i keep in the organiser,so if vosa stop you at least they can see youre making an effort :confused:

Some might say im being over the top but if youre in a lorry by yourself all day than you need to be prepared imo.

My hold all is struggling to fit it all in so ive ordered the Protec M25 organiser hold all from amazon.

My agency have been really good and supportive to be honest but i do wish i had put more down on my application regarding experience,ie ive driven refrigerated vehicles before etc. I would say be honest though if you have little experience.

Oh and lastly and most importantly…LEARN TO READ A 24 HOUR CLOCK!!! Dont do what i did,what a muppet!! :unamused:

GhostRider17:

sandybeech:
Hey GhostRider -

Simon

Sure mate,theres much smarter people on here than me but i can tell you whats in my kit bag.

Truckers sat nav and map.
Emergency food (canned rice pudding and cereal bars).
Flask and 2 water bottles (coffee and squash)
Small first aid kit (plasters,butterfly stiches,small bottle of tcp,tweezers,scissors etc)
Work gloves.
Clipboard and clear folder for paperwork. Another folder for reference material (drivers hours guides and a few printouts of different tachograph instructions).
8 metre sturdy tape measure.
9 in 1 multi tool.
2 small led torches plus a head torch.
Pencil case with spare pens,ruler,calculator,emergency phone power pack and believe or or not a spare pair of boot laces.
Kitchen roll.
A small collapsible water bottle (if the loos needed and theres no toilets,can always empty it out when you find somewhere,or out of the window in a cyclists face,let be honest we all hate them!)
Finally one of those handy truckers organisers with space for tacho rolls,drivers cards,work records etc.

Ive been advised to keep a record of all hours worked in the last 28 days in my other full time job too which i keep in the organiser,so if vosa stop you at least they can see youre making an effort :confused:

Some might say im being over the top but if youre in a lorry by yourself all day than you need to be prepared imo.

My hold all is struggling to fit it all in so ive ordered the Protec M25 organiser hold all from amazon.

My agency have been really good and supportive to be honest but i do wish i had put more down on my application regarding experience,ie ive driven refrigerated vehicles before etc. I would say be honest though if you have little experience.

Oh and lastly and most importantly…LEARN TO READ A 24 HOUR CLOCK!!! Dont do what i did,what a muppet!! :unamused:

Brilliant - thanks for that mate!