Got my first adr load tomorrow

And I’m struggling.

Did the course a while back so have basically forgotten most of it. Not sure of the load but it’ll be on an artic curtainsider.

What is it - just put the orange plates on and have the paperwork handy? I won’t need the extra plates like tankers will I?

If I’m pulled up what am I going to need to know?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

It’s the same as any other load, just have your orange plates up front and back and away ya go! Your company should have supplied you wit the bag off ppe, other than that you don’t need anything else unless it’s going over seas

Have you go the book that came with the course you did? As in there is basically all you need to know…

But if you get stopped they’ll want to see your paperwork stating what you are carrying, where it’s come from and going, and whether it’s ADR or not. If it is ADR then you should have a DGN (Dangerous Goods Notice) for that load/pallet.Then they will want to see all the kit you should be carrying for those classes…Check out your instructions in writing (there’s a copy in the book) as this will list the kit you need!

Best of luck and those orange plates are DVSA magnets! :smiley:

jay0:
It’s the same as any other load, just have your orange plates up front and back and away ya go! Your company should have supplied you wit the bag off ppe, other than that you don’t need anything else unless it’s going over seas

Yes I’ve got all kit. It’s just I vaguely remember from the course the instructor saying you need to be clued up if the dvsa pull you. What would they ask and expect me to know in relation to the load? Presumably it’ll all be on the paperwork.

Evil8Beezle:
Have you go the book that came with the course you did? As in there is basically all you need to know…

But if you get stopped they’ll want to see your paperwork stating what you are carrying, where it’s come from and going, and whether it’s ADR or not. If it is ADR then you should have a DGN (Dangerous Goods Notice) for that load/pallet.Then they will want to see all the kit you should be carrying for those classes…Check out your instructions in writing (there’s a copy in the book) as this will list the kit you need!

Best of luck and those orange plates are DVSA magnets! :smiley:

I’ve got the course book etc somewhere in my bag, but tbh I’ve had a hectic weekend and now is the first time I’ve put my feet up and I can’t be arsed to read it. It’s a few tips I need.

Also you need a shovel and brush… they will just want to know what classes you’ve got on and what quantitys of each… when I was going through the dartford one night the vosa officer just asked me for my dgn (dangerous goods note) and it was all on there.

jay0:
Also you need a shovel and brush… they will just want to know what classes you’ve got on and what quantitys of each… when I was going through the dartford one night the vosa officer just asked me for my dgn (dangerous goods note) and it was all on there.

Ok cheers.

Is the trailer going abroad? If it is then you need to make sure that all your DGN’s are complete and correct. When you get them it check it that its been signed by the person who organized the load and the loader/forklift driver. You’ll need to sign the “Drivers” section with your haulier, vehicle reg and sign it. There is a box above this to where you put in the trailer number. Also, if its going abroad then you’ll need your diamonds in place before you arrive at a port.

jay0:
Also you need a shovel and brush…

Sorry jay0,
You don’t quite get a cigar, but you’re fairly close. :wink:

A shovel, a drain seal and a collecting container are what I think you meant, but they are only required for solids and liquids of UN Classes 3, 4.1, 4.3, 8 and 9… but there’s no mention of a brush.

jay0:
they will just want to know what classes you’ve got on and what quantitys of each…

Correct!!

jay0:
when I was going through the dartford one night the vosa officer just asked me for my dgn (dangerous goods note) and it was all on there.

That’s true if you were doing an international journey (even if you weren’t going with it.)
However, a DGN is not required for a normal UK domestic road journey, so a simpler document will suffice on UK only work.

Thank you for clearing that up Dave, I’d hate to think I was giving the wrong advise as I like the op have forgotten a lot of the stuff on the course! But I do remember what to do If the load goes on fire while in a tunnel… FLOOR IT! :laughing:

jay0:
Thank you for clearing that up Dave, I’d hate to think I was giving the wrong advise as I like the op have forgotten a lot of the stuff on the course! But I do remember what to do If the load goes on fire while in a tunnel… FLOOR IT! :laughing:

Quite right too jay0. :smiley:

You didn’t do too badly tbf mate; cos it’s quite easy to forget the myriad of stuff learned on the ADR course, especially if you don’t do ADR work every day.

This would all be a lot easier of the Jocks got their arse in gear a bit. Did my ADR a month ago, got a printout of the results a couple of days ago and I am happy to say I passed every module I tried. (No class 1 or 7) I will still have to wait a minimum of another 2 weeks apparently before my card turns up and I can use it though which means that the information I learned on the course will have had 6 weeks minimum to get scrambled in my head before I can use it.

To the OP, from what I can recall in the UK you only need the full signage when you are on bulk work. Thats tankers, bulkers, walking floors etc plus any type of vehicle in which infectious substances are carried in yellow plastic bags regardless of how they are built. If you are doing tanks the vehicle remains in scope until its washed out but if you are on tauts then just emptying the load means you can take off your orange plates.

A question to those who have been doing this a while:

On the course we were told that once your orange plates are on, they stay on until the dangerous goods have been delivered, which makes sense but here is a hypothetical multi drop run:

Drop 1 - 8000l of some chemical in IBCs
Drop 2 - 10 packs of the finest london brick.
Drop 3 - 3 pallets of Domestos.
Drop 4 - 4 pallets of Domestos

Of course when you leave the yard your orange plates are up because its obviously a dangerous load. Once you have tipped drop one though what you have is a load with a Limited Quantity of dangerous goods on. Do you keep the orange plates up because you still have some of the dangerous goods on that you left the yard with or do you now take down the orange plates and because you are over 6t of LQ replace them with diamonds? Of course on your way to the final drop, you will then be under 6t of LQ so can you strip all the markings and run as a normal truck that the Vostapo will have a lesser interest in?