Got assessed at Iceland

great day today as i have “passed” class 1 Iceland assessment. Being a completely new driver they were satisfied enough to offer me further training (i think five days) up to their standard in return of two shifts for them. Being there through an agency (as i am not interested in driving full time) that seems not too bad for a newbie.

Well done I did pretty much exactly the same thing for tesco
It’ll be easy enough as long as you’re careful and do it properly I’m sure they’ll leave you alone.
I know a guy who did it, said it’s basically multi drop though. I wouldn’t want that personally but it depends what you want to do

Well done Priest mate! :grimacing:

It doesn’t matter what it’s doing really, as it’s a foot in the door for class 1 experience!

Best of luck pal, and that reminds me, I need to retest my crapnav! :laughing:

cheers :slight_smile:

Evil8Beezle:
that reminds me, I need to retest my crapnav! :laughing:

yeah, let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

Well done priest! Great work, Let us know how it goes and what training is involved :slight_smile:

cheers Ash,

basically it is lots of real-life reversing: good side and blind side, eco driving (using as much cruise control and the retarder as possible) and some general driving as well walkaround checks and other paperwork. That’s what it is for me at the moment. I think there would be more training on the taillift, fridge trailers and maybe something else

Sounds very interesting, hope you are enjoying it! :slight_smile:

oh yeah, enjoy every minute of it. The trainer is brilliant and all other drivers and warehouse staff are very friendly

Sweet keep us updated and let me know how you get on as I am very interested :slight_smile:

right, so today i officially passed the DHL assessment.

as mentioned above i started on Tuesday and up till Friday the training was mostly focused on reversing as obviously this is the weakest point of all newbies, paperwork, some manual handling, fridge trailer specifics (including tail lift) and general driving where you need to demonstrate planning and awareness (special hello goes to that guy “Jay the trucker in the UK” at this point :slight_smile: ) eco driving and other obvious things. and yes, they won’t fail you if you mount the kerb, i did not but brushed a number of them.

I was lucky enough and the trainer decided to assess me today (Friday) which is one day ahead of schedule. The actual assessment is doing a shift with the trainer and i have passed it (scored 98 out of 100). I understand i can now drive with any DHL depot, not sure within the UK or the whole Europe or world though.

Needless to say i was totally unprepared for real life reversing after the test, but now i feel much more confident and i think i have improved tremendously. I am not saying i am a skilled driver now the point is that my level was very low after the test to what the industry demands.

i still have to do a shift with another driver before they let me go on my own though.

once again, i was not paid and will have to do two shifts on my own for free in return for the training provided which i think is a very good deal.

Massive thanks to the trainer and the guys at DHL who agreed to put me through training.

i hope my phone will be ringing more often now :sunglasses:

Well done mate does that mean you are now employed to drive for Iceland, do dhl do the contract for them then?! I currently work for them delivering for next mate pm me and we can talk, not on forums though.

no, i am not employed mate. i was there through an agency and i am not really keen to be a full time driver as i have another occupation

once again, i was not paid and will have to do two shifts on my own for free in return for the training provided which i think is a very good deal

Yes a very good deal indeed they must be laughing all the way to the bank. Soon your phone will be ringing non stop with agencies offering you all the work you can handle :unamused:

alder:

once again, i was not paid and will have to do two shifts on my own for free in return for the training provided which i think is a very good deal

Yes a very good deal indeed they must be laughing all the way to the bank. Soon your phone will be ringing non stop with agencies offering you all the work you can handle :unamused:

And for a few weeks Alder mate, you were cheerful! :smiley:
But now it s back to the sarcasm that a lot won’t get/understand…

Yes companies will take the ■■■■ and get Newbies to drive for free, and i don’t agree with that either…
But Priest isn’t looking for full time work, just the odd shift as he already has a full time job.
So what do you expect the man to do? :open_mouth:

He’s now passed the DHL test, and can take a shift now and then to build his experience, and is happy enough as he’s aware that he can’t take a full time job if offered. So what do you want from him, as he has to to his best for himself!

Well done Priest, and it appears that my map updated are directing me around a local bridge, that I know would be a problem for the set height… So now I have 2 working SatNav’s :smiley:

Wow you have got the ■■■■ nav working evil! Yep alder back to his old self, he must have had enough of that job already :wink: