Got a interview

I have managed to get myself my first interview for a C+E on Tuesday. Now as this is my first interview for a driving job I’m looking for some tips and advice.

Any help is fully appreciated,

thanks, Rob

Research the company so when they ask you can give them as much information about their company as possible. That will always look good for you as it shows your interest in the company.

Stay calm and have a good think about the likely questions you’ll be asked and think of the answers you’d give to such questions so you don’t have to sit in the interview thinking of an answer. Those awkward silences can be horrible when you don’t know what to say.

Everyone has their own opinion on dress code for interviews. I personally think that you can’t go wrong with clean shoes, smart jeans or trousers & a smart polo shirt or jumper. Just put a hi-vis and boots in the boot of the car. If possible try to let them know you’ve got suitable clothing with you if they wanted you to go out for a drive. Even if they wanted to go for a drive at a later interview the fact you’re prepared will gain you bonus points with them.

EDIT: Another point with mixed opinions is asking about salary & benefits. I personally don’t like to ask about them I’ll wait for them to ask if I’d like to know. If the basic salary details are listed on the job advert then you’ll have a basic understanding of what they are offering. The job I’ve recently been given didn’t have anything at all listed about salary but I waited for the interviewer to ask me if I knew the details. When I told her I didn’t know anything about the salary she then proceeded to explain the basic, bonus and benefits of the role.

Drive it like you stole it :laughing:

But no seriously, the above advice is good haha :slight_smile: Good luck mate.

I had my first interview last week. It wasnt a formal interview, he just asked a few questions as he showed me around, alittle drive and got me todo some reversing on to a bay. LR1-8 gave you some good advise above, deffinetly go over some questions they may ask you in your mind and come up with some answers. For the drive just drive like you did on your test, go steady & your be fine. :slight_smile:

Just be yourself and good luck for Tuesday! :smiley:

Thanks for the replys. What kinds of questions ate they likely to ask? Are they likely to be job specific? As this will be my first interview and possibly assessment drive do you think it would be a good idea to make them aware that I’m not experienced with digi tacho and such?

Thanks again

I think if they ask you about your knowledge of tacho use and regulations just be honest.

The last thing you want is to ■■■■■■■■ them and tell them you know everything there is to know then when they let you lose on the road you pick up loads of infringements. Honesty is the best policy :smiley:

Just general interview questions i.e.

What do you know about our company?

Why do you think you’d be a better option than a more experienced driver?

Do you have any knowledge of the vehicles we use? (temp control, tipper, curtain etc etc)

Do you understand drivers hours regulations?

questions like that really.

I personally would say be honest because if you tell them you know everything they ask then turn around and ask how one of those systems works etc then you’ll look like a ■■■■■■■■■■■.

In my recent interview they asked me if I’d done any tacho and hours training with my instructor (they know of him because their in the same area) I told them I didn’t have any formal training but I had read up and it and plan on carrying information with me when I drive to look back on if I have a problem. They also asked if I had any training with pallet trucks and tail lifts (they knew I hadn’t long passed) I told them again I didn’t have any formal or commercial training. However in my last job I had used both to unload our deliveries.

Just be honest. If they think you’re the right person for the job then a little training on how to use a digi tacho or a temp controlled vehicle isn’t a big deal .

Thanks for that mate. That’s what I was thinking. Thank you for all your advice

I have a question to add to this thread, as a newly passed driver myself looking for c+e work I know the likelyhood of being asked to do an assessment drive is quite high, like alot of other newly qualified drivers I guess the majority of us will have passed in a relatively old truck with a manual box! Most new trucks these days a automated gearbox’s ie opticruise and Ishift, is it acceptable to explain to whoever assessing u that u are unfamiliar with this type of transmission and could they explain it?

Thanks anyone that can help

Dave

Yeah course it is mate, I’m sure they would rather you ask and keep the wagon in one piece. Rather than do something you think is right a ■■■■ something up.

When I had my assessment the other week I told the guy I was out with that I’d never used a semi-box before, not even in a car. Then I asked him exactly what I need to do. i.e. Do I need to use the clutch when pulling off or is it foot on the brake and release. He was fine with it and told me exactly what to do and we done a quick lap off the ind estate before we headed off.

If in doubt, just ask. What’s the worst that could happen?