Gordon Pearce of Asian Transport & Astran - RIP

It is with great sadness that I must report Gordon Pearce has passed away this morning.

Gordon was the first driver to be employed in 1966, by Bob Paul & Michael Woodman, of Asian Transport.
His first “adventure” to the Middle East, saw him co-drive an AEC with Bob Paul to Tehran, capital of Iran.
He eventually made over 40 trips to the Middle East while employed by Asian & Astran.
In recent years he worked for Tuffnels Parcels, driving his beloved Wagon & Drags.
Retired, he has now written his own book detailing his stories when he worked for White Trux based in Saudi Arabia.
“WHERE’S SHARAWRAH”? is available from Old Pond Publishing, or Amazon at £14.99.

Gordon was a true gentleman. With his unique “take on life” and his very dry sense of humour, Gordon certainly enjoyed life to the full. Nothing was ever beyond him !

RIP my very dear friend.
"Now you can begin a new chapter of a new adventure

Here are the funeral details.
If you would like to go, please contact me for more detailed information.

ashleycoghill@aol.com

FUNERAL ON WEDNESDAY 25th NOVEMBER AT 1.00pm.

at; ST LUKES WITH HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, CHARLTON, LONDON
then onto; HITHER GREEN CREMATORIUM
and then back to Gordon’s place for food and drinks!

1 Like

Gordon Pearce Legend of the industry
RIP

RIP Gordon.

Gordon I had the great pleasure of meeting you in Gaydon it was a privilege to shake the hand of a true middle east legend you made my day thank you top respect sir rip regards rowland ward

Gordon was one of the really great drivers of our time. It was a privilege to have met him. His book not only gives us a glimpse into a lost world of Middle-East trucking, but more importantly, it gives us some insight into the cool, calm and competent way he approached his adventures. Thank you Gordon for that legacy. Robert

Below: a nice pic of Gordon behind the wheel of Carl’s Astran Scania (Photo: Carl Jarman).

Astran publicity photo taken in 1970 and the same “pose” in 2010 - 40 years apart !

RIP Gordon what a shame

Sad to see a pioneer go! We all travelled in his and others’ footprints.

I think it’s also a celebration of a wonderful life. On his first trip, a mile from salvation, he didn’t know, and wrote ‘all hope lost’.

What a joy that he survived and lived another lifetime!

John.

Saw and listen to him for the first and last time in Gaydon, 2014.
And when you read “Middle East Pioneers” you think that you know these People personally- it’s stupid but true.
Rest in peace, Mr. Pearce!

Just been on the TOPRUN website, and Ferdie has put this wonderful collage in the homepage in memory of Gordon. Robert

true legend R.I.P Gordon

Sad news.
Like many on these pages or those who have The Astran book, I didn’t know Gordon but certainly knew of him.
A pioneer of the overland route to the Middle East .

Great pictures of the very early days in kit that many would hesitate today to drive around the block, let alone Tehran.

R.I.P. Gordon.

Like Baldrick I never knew Gordon Pearce but just by reading the tributes paid to this transport man it is not hard to realize that he was a legend and a nice person to boot, it must not have been plain sailing in the very early days of Middle East transport so would imagine you would have to have a certain zest to accomplish such a challenge. Of course in the early 70s lots of chaps tried there hand at this route but I was not one of them, surely he will be missed by his family and those who worked with him or just met him on there travels on the roads, very sad news, RIP Mr Pearce.
Buzzer.

That is terrible news. God bless you Gordon and RIP.

David.

I spoke to George Fardell today. He drove for Astran in the early 70’s. He sends his sincere condolences and reminisced of how when he was in jail in Horosan after an accident, Gordon took the trouble to stop and visit him and try to sort things out.
A very fine gentleman driver and knight of the road who will be sadly missed!

1 Like

Safe trip Gordon…R.I.P…
GS.

GS OVERLAND:
Safe trip Gordon…R.I.P…
GS.

Here Here

If anyone is interested, here are the funeral details.
If you would like to go, please contact me for more detailed information.

ashleycoghill@aol.com

FUNERAL ON WEDNESDAY 25th NOVEMBER AT 1.00pm.

at; ST LUKES WITH HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, CHARLTON, LONDON
then onto; HITHER GREEN CREMATORIUM
and then back to Gordon’s place for food and drinks!

Sounded like a real character and a gentleman, condolences to his family and friends.R.I.P. Gordon safe journey.

What sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Gordon at Gaydon, and we talked for a while about all his adventures and he even signed my copy of The Long Haul Pioneers :sunglasses: . He was so genuine and friendly. RIP the true long haul pioneer.