Gordon pearce funeral

On Wednesday 25th November at 1.00pm, we said our goodbyes to Gordon Pearce.

As a very close friend, I was honoured and proud to be able to carry him on his final journey on the back of my truck.
Gordon had a wicked sense of humour, so it was fitting that we were able to have a laugh and make him smile on this sombre day!

Many thanks to everyone that came to pay their respects. We had a really good day.
Here are some photos from the day.

carry1.jpg

IMAG3521a.jpg

Thanks Ashley for organising such a fitting tribute to one of the great pioneers of our industry.

I know that his family greatly appreciated the tremendous amount of work you did to make Gordon’s send-off so movingly appropriate.

The arrival of your truck with the Astran flag wrapped coffin on the back had me in tears from the start and looking around at the hardened old Middle East hands I was re- assured that I was not the only one.

Gordon would have loved the chaos caused at Charlton’s busiest junction and I could imagine him chuckling wryly looking down at the queue of buses and taxis straddling the intersection!

It was a lovely way to say fare-well to such a good and faithful ambassador of our benighted industry.

Jazzandy:
Thanks Ashley for organising such a fitting tribute to one of the great pioneers of our industry.

I know that his family greatly appreciated the tremendous amount of work you did to make Gordon’s send-off so movingly appropriate.

The arrival of your truck with the Astran flag wrapped coffin on the back had me in tears from the start and looking around at the hardened old Middle East hands I was re- assured that I was not the only one.

Gordon would have loved the chaos caused at Charlton’s busiest junction and I could imagine him chuckling wryly looking down at the queue of buses and taxis straddling the intersection!

It was a lovely way to say fare-well to such a good and faithful ambassador of our benighted industry.

Here Here.

Truly magnificent and very fitting, well done Ash.

Jazzandy:

To be honest Andy, I asked the undertakers if we could “unload” Gordon with the crane outside the church, but they were very twitchy about doing that… Shame I say :laughing:

Really good organisation Ash, well done.
It was good to see that there was a fair few of his friends and colleagues made it but it’s sad that we seem to get less and less every time we meet. Ho Hum!

David

David: Good to see you and Ken. We MUST sort another “Middle East” symposium again. As you say, there are less and less each time we see each other.
Keep in touch old mate . Regards Ash.

Hello Truckerash (and those other friends who saw him off in person)
I was not fortunate enough to meet the man personally but his reputation and acclaim speak for themselves.
The pictures depict a uniquely fitting farewell ceremony.
I imagine he is still grinning down upon you from the great layby under the full moon, with much gratitude.
[except maybe that I only ever saw posts of him in a Scania - he might have objected to the Volvo :wink:]
Well done.
David

Hi Ash
How come you didn’t use an Astran lorry
Shame to see another great chap go.
Cheers
Rich

tribsa:
Hi Ash
How come you didn’t use an Astran lorry

Hi Rich;
My first intention was to use Carl Jarman’s 141 in Astran livery, but it’s kept in Manchester and after discussing it all with Carl, it was just too much hassle to bring it down to London (and return). Timings weren’t on our side and above all that there was the ridiculous “Emmissions” charge at £200 per day!
I actually rang the LEZ office and asked them to “waiver” the charge seeing as we wanted to use the truck for a funeral for “a pioneer” etc etc… but they were having none of it !
Plan B then; to use my truck which to be honest was just as fitting. It was “ME” driving my best friend on his last journey. Gordon loved trucks, especially 8 wheelers so that made it even more special.
Regards Ash.

Good effort anyway Ash

Well done Ashley you done Gordon proud.