Goodbye GB

Interesting little fact I wasn’t aware of- GB stickers are being replaced by U.K. carthrottle.com/post/gb-sti … september/

Within half a dozen replies this will be what the thread turns into, so may as well post the link now to save the bother : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167626&view=unread#unread

They’ve taken the 'Great’out of Britain. :smiley: .United ‘Kingdom’ could be problematic seeing as it’s a 'Queen heading things.Could be lots of ammo for all the 'Its’and Isms.

DCPCFML:
Within half a dozen replies this will be what the thread turns into, so may as well post the link now to save the bother : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167626&view=unread#unread

It is at least nice to know I’m not the sole Trucknet annoyance

EU number plates will need replacing as well,the ones with the little eu flag on the side bit.

UK is far better than GB! Great was many years ago :wink:

If I ever…

Drive over the water again, it’ll be my gaffers problem to have the correct plates for the vehicle in whichever country I might be driving through.

In the extremely unlikely event of me taking my own car over, I’ll put on what ever plates are required to get me to my destination without having to stop for ‘coffee money’.

Russia is working on it, but as of present, Kiev is not in Russia…

:wink:

switchlogic:
Interesting little fact I wasn’t aware of- GB stickers are being replaced by U.K. carthrottle.com/post/gb-sti … september/

Thought, based on your location, you would have been using these ?

Surely the term Great would be a reminder of the evil Empire and slavery to some of the unwashed left among society these days, probably done to appease the little darlings so as not to cause ‘offense’.

manski:

switchlogic:

Thought, based on your location, you would have been using these ?

Where would I stick them? On my boots? :wink:

short walk:
Surely the term Great would be a reminder of the evil Empire and slavery to some of the unwashed left among society these days, probably done to appease the little darlings so as not to cause ‘offense’.

It’s not great as in ‘aren’t we great’ though :wink: It’s great as in greater or bigger

switchlogic:

short walk:

It’s not great as in ‘aren’t we great’ though :wink: It’s great as in greater or bigger

The “Great” in Great Britain refers to England, Scotland and Wales including their component adjacent islands which forms the greater (i.e. largest) landmass of the British Isles.

Yes Switch I’m aware of that, as in the German Gross Britanian, however it’s the modern chip on shoulder types who I think interpret it as ‘aren’t we Great’, and somehow link this to feeling ashamed of the country’s past and Empire, which incidentally I absolutely am not.Still on topic I only the other day mentioned to a mate of mine living in UK wonder how long before the Gendarmes will be fining Brits, tourists and trucks alike, for inappropriately displaying an EU flag on their number plate? We have to wonder eh?

short walk:
Yes Switch I’m aware of that, as in the German Gross Britanian, however it’s the modern chip on shoulder types who I think interpret it as ‘aren’t we Great’, and somehow link this to feeling ashamed of the country’s past and Empire, which incidentally I absolutely am not.Still on topic I only the other day mentioned to a mate of mine living in UK wonder how long before the Gendarmes will be fining Brits, tourists and trucks alike, for inappropriately displaying an EU flag on their number plate? We have to wonder eh?

I love that you are inventing people getting upset about a fictional reason for a name change because of a fictional definition of a name. :wink: :smiley:

‘united’■■? With wee Jimmy Krankie and Adam Price in governance? Think that needs a re-think.

I always found amusing how while inside the EU, on the licence plates it was always GB but on driving licences it was only UK. I had a thought about this very important issue a long time ago and it came to me as I was downing some Jameson straight out of the bottle, looking at a three leaf clove, nibbling on some black pudding while hearing Mrs Brown talking about tax heavens on TV.
The UK instead of GB must be to keep the leprechauns of Northern Ireland less unhappy about always being the irrelevant ones, when the greatest nation to have ever graced this planet, needs to be represented with an acronym.

As Great Britain is only England, Scotland and Wales plus another 1000 or so islands. It doesn’t include Northern Ireland.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a better description of who we are.

I am Yorkshire first, then English then British and still live in the UK.

Wheel Nut:
As Great Britain is only England, Scotland and Wales plus another 1000 or so islands. It doesn’t include Northern Ireland.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a better description of who we are.

I am Yorkshire first, then English then British and still live in the UK.

I’m Welsh, in Wales currently illegally occupied by the English.

3……2……1……

:wink:

It’s Great so as to differentiate between the 2 lands of the Britons:
Big Britain: Ireland, Scotland, Cornwall & Wales - Grand Bretagne
Small Britain: Brittany - Bretagne.

It has through time come to include England, the land of the Anglo Saxons: Angle Land.

whisperingsmith:
It’s Great so as to differentiate between the 2 lands of the Britons:
Big Britain: Ireland, Scotland, Cornwall & Wales - Grand Bretagne
Small Britain: Brittany - Bretagne.

It has through time come to include England, the land of the Anglo Saxons: Angle Land.

Or.
Great Britain (England Scotland Wales) The big island. Britain (Ireland) The smaller island.
But, I don’t expect much agreement to that.