Good work horse

lee mat:
been offered a pretty decent premium from what ive been told on the phone what do you recon 06 plate premium for 7.5k i think its either the last of the old shape or the first of the restyled ones

Obviously it depends on mileage/condition/history but that sound like a reasonable price. At that price it will be one of the last of the old style 420dci ones. I run one and although it isn’t anything special I find it a very good truck for the money. I’ve had the one I’ve got now for nearly a year and so far all it has needed is a couple of cab airbags, a £150 valve on the gearbox and an exhaust strap.

Paul

I would go for the ERF Olympic,loads of cab space,used to to Gibraltar in one,solid motor,plenty of power,one let down was the plastic trim,that would get a bit hot in the Spanish sun.
Never broke down on me.

toby1234abc:
I would go for the ERF Olympic,loads of cab space,used to to Gibraltar in one,solid motor,plenty of power,one let down was the plastic trim,that would get a bit hot in the Spanish sun.
Never broke down on me.

the ERF EC Olympic is a great truck, the problem with them now is getting hold of spares, i know a few people that still run them and are happy with them, until they need parts :cry:

lee mat:
been offered a pretty decent premium from what ive been told on the phone what do you recon 06 plate premium for 7.5k i think its either the last of the old shape or the first of the restyled ones

Like I said “cheap as chips” for money any half awake O/D could easily gross in a MONTH :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:
My 420DCi was on ■■■■■■■■ 44T 25mile round/trip quarry to dockside work and did the job dead on. :wink:

Only thing was diff blew after a years hard graft during the VERY last load out of quarry before Xmas shut down but was fixed no bother under Renault trucks used warranty.

lee mat:
at what am looking at ive got to be prepaired to have ago

did you not buy a 143?

I have heard that Hino`s and Isuzu have a good name,maybe one day they will make a long distance cab for euro work,i see a lot of Hino tipper trucks.
Renault Magnums are going very cheap,Insight logistics at Inkberrow have a fleet of of them on Gib and Iberian Peninsula work.

went over today to have a look at the premiums that are for sale there where a few for sale 06 plate last of the old shape seemed pretty tidy couldnt realy knock them for anything only real concern was the km’s 545k kms ,810k km upto 909k kms for the highest think the lower mileage one was a changed tacho head would you let the mileage put you off he wants 7.5k for them which for an 06 doesnt sound to bad to me

800-900k is on the high side but the price seems to be reflecting that. Fleetex were very recently selling some low mileage 06’s for £12-13k.

Paul

had a good look around ive had a look at an 85 daf 04 plate manual 430 flat roof will do the job the other is a complete leap a volvo 440 globbey a 06 plate which to be honest is what i should be looking at but the thing is the daf i can work on garage knows them inside out and its a simplier vehicle i would prefer the volvo but its the likes of the i shift, modern electrics and the parts prices ive been told are a lot dearer thats putting me off any thoughts ?

If you want a cheap buy cheap fix buy an old DAF 85cf. They can be fixed by anyone.All trucks breakdown,not all can be easily repaired though.

I’d also go for the CF if I had the choice based on the ease of maintenance argument.

It’s much like the old quandary of weather to buy a Ford or something Japanese.

The ford would break and be cheap to fix, the Jap car shouldn’t break BUT WILL cost more to put right.

Go for the Daf, cheap to buy, cheap and easy to fix. And there’s LOADS of them so getting second hand panels shouldn’t be a problem.

well the empire grows again old bruiser number 3 added to the fleet dear god what have i done.

lee mat:
well the empire grows again old bruiser number 3 added to the fleet dear god what have i done.

what did you go for in the end? Any photos?

I bought a foden alpha looked at quite a few different motors and finaly settled for this am just hoping ive gone and done the right thing fingers crossed

lee mat:
I bought a foden alpha looked at quite a few different motors and finaly settled for this am just hoping ive gone and done the right thing fingers crossed

420■■■■■■■ or 450Cat :question:

Do you still run the 414Man :question:

got the 420 ■■■■■■■ didnt see any cat engined ones but ive heard they can be a pain with parts, seems ok so far given it the once over in the garage but wont no til i get it on the road . yes ive still got the man 414 been a real good motor has had its issues but its been spot on for me , i tried to get another but what i saw was not worth the money the foden is my 3rd truck as i own a eurotech aswell what a top notch ultra modern line up eh lol

lee mat:
got the 420 ■■■■■■■ didnt see any cat engined ones but ive heard they can be a pain with parts, seems ok so far given it the once over in the garage but wont no til i get it on the road . yes ive still got the man 414 been a real good motor has had its issues but its been spot on for me , i tried to get another but what i saw was not worth the money the foden is my 3rd truck as i own a eurotech aswell what a top notch ultra modern line up eh lol

If they are making you money doesn’t matter “two balls of blue” what the badge says OR how old they are :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

i think am running on more luck than diesel

How has your motor been treating you? Any words of advice coz I am considering buying an alpha. I’m on a low budget as well.