Good WiFi For your Truck

I know that there has been a few threads about wifi at work so here’s another :blush:

I’ve just bought a Huawei E586 which are available pretty cheap off of the 3 network and what a great bit of kit it is. They call it MiFi :confused:

Its much faster than my old dongle and you can connect up to 5 wifi devices to it at the same time. I get 5gb for £15.99 which is cheaper too but there is an initial outlay of £49.95. This would put you on a one month rolling contract so you don’t get tied in for any period of time

Just a recommendation from me :slight_smile:

i also have one of them, all i will say is avoid videos on youtube or music files as you will soon see your allowance disappear

If it’s not locked to the 3 network, or even if it is, you can get other PAYG deals with unlimited internet, even on 3, just get a phone one with unlimited internet rather than a data specific one.

my 3 contract ended last month, so to keep me,they gave me a mifi devise and 15gb for £16 per month on a 2 year contract.
trouble is i keep losing my internet connection,so they are sending me a new one.i wish i`d never had it,coz i can get a wifi internet connection through my phone which has a unlimited data allowance.

I thought getting internet through the phone was “tethering” and carries a charge now. Is there a way around it?

was`nt aware there was an additional charge if you have unlimited access

skids:
I thought getting internet through the phone was “tethering” and carries a charge now. Is there a way around it?

Yes, they can only see tethering if you do it through the normal procedures, but if your phone (android and iphones) creates a wifi hotspot, it doesn’t get spotted as tethering :wink:

I know vodafone lock the wifi hotspot feature. there was an article on bbc click a few months back that was saying its costing the mobile phone industry a fortune in lost revenue and they were putting a stop to it. i don’t suppose they can do much if the phone has been jailbroke.

skids:
I know vodafone lock the wifi hotspot feature. there was an article on bbc click a few months back that was saying its costing the mobile phone industry a fortune in lost revenue and they were putting a stop to it. i don’t suppose they can do much if the phone has been jailbroke.

Exactly, or even upgraded to a later IOS through a method other than vodaphone.

Android phones are very easy to upgrade / debrand if the mobile hotspot is disabled.

I use blackberry myself and they dont have this sadly. I use it as it was dirt cheap to stay in touch with everybody when abroad on blackberry messenger but seeing as our international industry has all but died I have been thinking about trying android next contract renewal.

skids:
I use blackberry myself and they dont have this sadly. I use it as it was dirt cheap to stay in touch with everybody when abroad on blackberry messenger but seeing as our international industry has all but died I have been thinking about trying android next contract renewal.

There’s various chat programs for android, msn, facebook chat, android’s own and god knows how many others.

Also, you can get Skype, so if you’ve got an internet signal to use the BB messenger, you can use skype and just speak instead.

I like messenger on my PC and lappy, but it’s a nightmare on a phone

waynedl:

skids:

Yes, they can only see tethering if you do it through the normal procedures, but if your phone (android and iphones) creates a wifi hotspot, it doesn’t get spotted as tethering :wink:

Think ‘3’ are the only network that allow unlimited tethering, via The One Plan @ £33 (ish)/month and i think they are also the only network that now offer unltd internet, even on a sim only plan

waynedl:

skids:

There’s various chat programs for android, msn, facebook chat, android’s own and god knows how many others.

Also, you can get Skype, so if you’ve got an internet signal to use the BB messenger, you can use skype and just speak instead.

I like messenger on my PC and lappy, but it’s a nightmare on a phone

I’ve got a Galaxy s2 and use skype when I find wifi abroad. The video chat is quite good as long as the wifi signal is consistent enough :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

commonrail:
my 3 contract ended last month, so to keep me,they gave me a mifi devise and 15gb for £16 per month on a 2 year contract.
trouble is i keep losing my internet connection,so they are sending me a new one.i wish i`d never had it,coz i can get a wifi internet connection through my phone which has a unlimited data allowance.

could you keep the stand for mi fi device and sell it to me as i dont have 1 …

[quote="commonrail"I wish i`d never had it,coz i can get a wifi internet connection through my phone which has a unlimited data allowance.[/quote]
‘Unlimited data connection’ are rarely what they say. The are usually of a limit that the company decides you shouldn’t be able to pass. ‘Fair Usage’ or so. Saying that, I’ve yet to pass the limit on my phone. I think it’s 500mb or so. Isn’t that big.

When I was with Orange they called it ‘unlimited’ but they really meant 2GB per month. Which phone provider are you with?

I get 500mb with vodafone on blackberry and never get close to it even though I am a heavy user of BBM,facebook, twitter and tapatalk. I also have mobile banking and the occasional youtube viewing or upload. This is because I think that blackberry compresses its data to about a third of the size I’m told.

I am on 3 network and there unlimited data allowance is unlimited, they don’t have a fair usage policy I usually use 10 - 15 gig a month, last month though was 25 gig.
I don’t bother with tv any more just stream it on laptop.
3 is a cracking service, as well as unlimited data you also get 5000 any network texts and 2000 any network any time minutes all for £25 a month sim only.
Also the Internet runs at broadband speeds, above 3 mb/s average, had 10 mb/s off it.
I don’t think any other mobile operator comes close to what 3 gives you.

3 network is indeed a cracking deal, only problem I have with it is they dont cover my home address. My house backs onto the beach at a bend in the land line so is borderline signal with just about all networks.

mk7fiesta:

commonrail:

could you keep the stand for mi fi device and sell it to me as i dont have 1 …

They only sent me a mifi devise

used to use orange to go on the net.work for free from 7pm to 7am monady to thursday a extra £5 a month on my bill.when i change my contract couple of years ago they had stopped it.plus weekends was free from 7pm friday till 7am monday used to us it a lot when parked up in the evening aswell.