Good use of advanced driving skills, anticipate, observe, go

Punchy Dan:
That’s normal for axe edge , why should we have to sit behind gormless city folk driving like sheep ,(that’s if you know how sheep move , nose to tail very slow ) , some lorrys can get nearly 90 mph on the steep bit towards blackshaw moor :blush: .

A major problem in the Peaks, traffic causing long queues and having no interest in getting on! I notice his mate was parked up in the layby, he possibly told him on the CB that the road was clear ahead as he would have had a better view of what lay ahead which is something we did 20+ years ago as Dan will remember. :wink:

However I wouldn’t have overtaken a line of vehicles like those in that location, too many things to possibly go wrong.

Pete.

jakethesnake:
When you read some of the replies it’s not hard to understand why we have so many bad accidents on our roads.Any driver that thinks that was safe should not be on the road as they are a danger to themselves and others.
Maybe some of you should take an advanced driving course and then you might realise how things can go very quickly wrong in situations like the one shown.

Would not want to be behind you then

dieseldog999:
perfect driving from a professional with excellent observational skills unlike the brain dead lemmings sitting behind the horsebox.
no doubt he is more than accustomed with the road and knows you can see for miles.
absolutely should be a classic example of a proper skilled driver showing the plebs how its done.
he dont need to see through the trees when he can see ahead of the trees and knows its clear anyway.
the only risk being that someone in the queue in front of him wakes up and decides to overtake without seeing him .
good man,crack on driver.

+1

windrush:
However I wouldn’t have overtaken a line of vehicles like those in that location, too many things to possibly go wrong.

Pete.

It’s possible that he had didn’t have a clear view of the amount of all the traffic and length of the tail back ahead when he started the overtake at 1.10 and no options after that.

It also looks like an interesting speed reached in the possible resulting panic assuming 90 kmh max. :wink: Let alone his idea of road positioning with the offside wheels obviously running on the line forcing the approaching truck in the opposite direction to the kerb to clear the mirrors.Total zb ameteur steering wheel attendant who’s driving background is probably more suited to driving a BMW or an Audi badly rather than being let loose with a truck. :unamused:

Mmm a bit iffy I reckon, as Rog said if a bike or something came teararsing round the bend towards him he would have had nowhere to go, and the bike would have been in the verge. (or buried in his grille)
He got away with it, nowt nasty happened (no puppies or kittens hurt, before anyone mentions them :smiley:) but a dodgy jugement/decision I reckon.
Call me a plodder, plobber, snowflake, tart, …or whatever, but I personally wouldn’t have done it. :neutral_face:

Blimey, I can’t begin to imagine how tedious people who send in these non events are. I watched the whole of that video and there was almost nothing worth recording let alone downloading and sending on to someone!

On my last post I’m assuming here he could not see far enough to see anything oncoming, but I may be wrong.

Overtaking one car maybe a line of cars behind a horsebox then nope…

As said no where to abort the manoeuvre if required, yes it’s frustrating being held up by plobbers that won’t overtake but won’t have gained him much in the long run.

Risk vs reward equals not worth it, I doubt the police would say its a safe manoeuvre in a 44 ton truck if they witnessed it and pulled him over for it.

switchlogic:
Blimey, I can’t begin to imagine how tedious people who send in these non events are. I watched the whole of that video and there was almost nothing worth recording let alone downloading and sending on to someone!

Dash cams are great for the right purpose.

Now a lot of people are wanna be hero’s just waiting for someone to make a mistake and upload it to YouTube or worse send it to the police forces.

How long before any of us get a clip of a genuine mistake sent in to a police force by some sad individual.

Certainly makes you think our licences can be on the line because of someone with nothing better to do with their life.

switchlogic:

The first clip where dash cam car is turning right I’d bet my house on the fact that he was turning right without indicating yet still managed to summon up moral outrage that someone had dared to impede his God given right to absolutely anything he wanted.

bald bloke:

ROG:
Legal overtake
Good line of sight BUT nowhere to pull back in if a fast vehicle came the other way = no escape route

Advanced driving assessment = very poor planning/decision and very lucky nothing came quickly the other way

I reckon he could see quite a long way in the distance over the shrubbery and knew nothing was coming .

Correct at the time of starting the overtake but did you work out what would happen if a fast vehicle came the other way when the lorry was overtaking say car 2 :question:

Maybe he has a mate up front he can trust on CB ,come on the road is clear.

Re the Lomas truck; I have in the past completed similar overtakes BUT it was on a one litre sportsbike. Granted the lorry driver had the kind of forward view the cars can’t begin to understand but imo it was too much to do in one bite.

Frustration is the big killer here and I sometimes struggle to understand the mindset of a car driver who’ll happily career along at 80mph + on a foggy motorway but will resolutely refuse to overtake Mavis the Micra driver doing 30mph on a clear, dry NSL single carriageway, but will instead sit that close to her that somebody then has to do a multi car overtake just to make progress.

jackslad:
Maybe he has a mate up front he can trust on CB ,come on the road is clear.

And maybe he doesn’t your assuming he does as much as I’m assuming he doesn’t.

Looking at it on face value it’s not a good decision/judgement of the situation now matter how annoyed you are being held up.

ROG:

bald bloke:

ROG:
Legal overtake
Good line of sight BUT nowhere to pull back in if a fast vehicle came the other way = no escape route

Advanced driving assessment = very poor planning/decision and very lucky nothing came quickly the other way

I reckon he could see quite a long way in the distance over the shrubbery and knew nothing was coming .

Correct at the time of starting the overtake but did you work out what would happen if a fast vehicle came the other way when the lorry was overtaking say car 2 :question:

The trees on the right potentially blocking the view through the right hand bend,which would be the minimum vision required to even think about it,are a bit more than just ‘shrubbery’.

While even at best how does overtaking anything there fit rule 167 and denoted by hazard lines used to divide the road in this case.

the maoster:
Granted the lorry driver had the kind of forward view the cars can’t begin to understand

Even with the extra height it’s arguable whether that’s actually enough to provide a clear view over the trees on the right through the right hand bend from 1.10 when he went for the over take.That’s assuming he actually even knew how long the queue of traffic was ahead at that point.

switchlogic:

I don’t know, quite enjoyed watching the old girl giving the kid on the bike a clip round the ear!

Ultimately it was a successfully carried out overtake.

But…

I wouldn’t have done it. If it was vexing me so much I’d be in a layby, kettle on, brew up and let the traffic go.

Carryfast:

dieseldog999:
perfect driving from a professional with excellent observational skills unlike the brain dead lemmings sitting behind the horsebox.
no doubt he is more than accustomed with the road and knows you can see for miles.
absolutely should be a classic example of a proper skilled driver showing the plebs how its done.
he dont need to see through the trees when he can see ahead of the trees and knows its clear anyway.
the only risk being that someone in the queue in front of him wakes up and decides to overtake without seeing him .
good man,crack on driver.

How can he see ‘ahead’ of the trees when the trees are blocking the view through the bend and he hasn’t got the required superman x ray vision.Let alone the principle of don’t overtake on hazard lines which are effectively the same thing as solid lines regarding the rule don’t overtake at junctions etc.That’s why we use hazard lines to differentiate …hazards where of course we should not overtake.Although the thick zb’s who marked the road obviously don’t know it. :unamused:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BECAUSE.
the trees arnt completely blocking the view,and,he,and anyone driving with a bit of gumption,can easily judge speed and distance to work out that if nothing comes round the bend for a set period of time then they cant be driving in the hidden zone of the trees using the oncoming traffic as a general guide,hence he overtook at exactly the right time without any drama or fuss.
its called safe overtaking.
no doubt chance in a million miss marples could be sitting in her broken down micra but you would have noticed the oncoming traffic stopping,and even so,you would see it miles away and be able to stop and pull back in front of one of the herberts.

Some interesting replys from those who probably never been on that bit of road :unamused: